PG Music Home
Posted By: MNLefty Blues Lead Guitar - 09/04/08 01:49 PM
Greetings,
I am using the blues jam examples (in C & F).
Any suggestions on which guitar instrument choice to use as soloist?
I want to try the "every other fours" to try to learn to follow some licks.
The options I try are generally to difficult for me to follow and the guitar instruments I select do not seem to have that traditional blues sound!
I am interested in hearing what you folks are using and like.
Thanks
Mike
Posted By: WienSam Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/04/08 09:15 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum, Mike. You will find us a helpful resource and willing to listen and give helpful feedback.

Would you like a tip? If so, this forum is where to read them, or where to post if you have one to offer.

However, if you are looking for help, which you obviously are, you would do far better to place your question in the forum related to the software you are having a problem with. In this case, I would imagine you want help with Band In A Box (but it could also be RealBand).

Just so as you know

HTH
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/05/08 03:39 AM
Agree with Sam; help is best gotten from the BIAB or RB fora.

However, the 'guitar' sound you hear is dependent on the soundcard or softsynth you are using. Do you know which it is? (In BIAB, look in "Options/Preferences/MIDI Driver/MIDI Output Driver".) You should see many choices there, such as your computer's soundcard and the MS Wavetable (yuk!).

If all you have is the onboard sound from your computer, try the Roland Soundcanvas VSC-DXi included with PG Music products. This will often produce a better sound. If it's not on the list, it is installed separately from your PG Music product, but on the same disk. Once back in your program, select MIDI Guitar patch 27, 28, 30 or 31 for the best electric blues sounds. (See Help on how to make this selection).

Richard
Posted By: MNLefty Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/05/08 02:37 PM
Thanks guys, so polite when letting me know to get to the right forum.
I am still learning about midis, sound cards, etc and look forward to trying Ryszard's ideas.
Mike
ps I was not sure which forum to use & I did consider the software forum but the questions/answers there seemed at a lever far beyond my comprehension. Will continue to look for a newbie's forum
Posted By: WienSam Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/05/08 02:43 PM
Don't worry about the level of questions, Mike. We were all beginners once. There is no 'beginner's' forum in any case!
Posted By: babarton Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/05/08 06:01 PM
Mike,
I've recently downloaded the free Proteus VX (includes dxi synth) from e-mu. IMHO, these sounds blow away the Roland VSC sounds. This is very clearly a subjective matter, and probably depends to some extent on your other equipment. You can also try the Coyote forte soft synth as a free trial for 30 days (should be on your BIAB discs). Anyway, you can experiment with several different soft synths for free - which if nothing else, helps you learn more about using midi, software synthesizers, etc.

Bruce
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/06/08 04:35 AM
babarton, how did you get proteus setup, i cant get it to save a setup where the instrument do not have to be resetup every time?
Posted By: babarton Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/06/08 08:09 PM
robh,

I'm away from my music computer now - I'll look at it later, see if I can help.

Bruce
Posted By: babarton Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/07/08 02:22 PM
I played with it for a few minutes last night, and every time I'd select it as my synth in BIAB it would lock up the program.... grrrrr! I'll try to post more about it in the next couple of days, if I can get it working again.

bruce
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/18/08 11:23 PM
Cool let me know i like the sounds, but can't get it to save teh setup.
Posted By: babarton Re: Blues Lead Guitar - 09/21/08 10:27 PM
Robh,

Sorry for my delay in responding. I’ve finally been able to play with
Proteus some more. You can save a “patch” when you’ve set up the various
Channels to play with what sounds you want. You can then open this
Patch when you re-open Proteus.

I’m able to do this using Proteus alone and playing the little screen keyboard
On it. However, I’m now not able to access Proteus as a VSTi thru BIAB.
It should work the same way when you open it thru BAIB. Look at the
Proteus help around page 12 it talks about setting it up with a sequencer,
And I would assume it would work in a similar fashion with BIAB.
I’m ready to classify it as “sounds good, but too user unfriendly”. It doesn’t
Help that my audio computer is very old and slow so all of this runs extremely
Slowly.

Re-post if you’re able to get any farther with this, and maybe I’ll uninstall/reinstall.
For right now though, it kept locking up BIAB and now BIAB doesn’t even seem
To recognize it…

Bruce
© PG Music Forums