PG Music Home
Jazzwombat (Bob) posted in the main forum:

Quote:
I hope this has a simple answer, as I've not been able to find a solution. I imported a simple, single instrument midi track into BIAB2014. I made the original midi using musescore and assigned the instrument as 'tenor sax'. As expected, BIAB imported the midi track into the MELODY and plays it correctly as a tenor sax voice. However, I cannot change the voice using the mixer or any other way I would normally change a midi patch.

What's the solution?

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year,

Bob

My solution was as follows:

Quote:
Go into "Notation View" in BIAB. Once there, select the melody track (it will be labeled with the first letter of the instrument shown in the mixer). You'll see the notes for the melody, so you can tell you got the right one.

Then, click on the "#" sign to the right of the instrument buttons. This brings up the MIDI event list.

Scroll to the top of the event list, and you'll see the following MIDI events (which came in from your import):

NOTE: The below MIDI commands were based on the file Bob used for his import. What's listed may be different depending upon the origin of the original MIDI file, how many tracks/channels, etc. The goal is to remove the MIDI commands that you would rather control via the BIAB user interface, rather than hard code into the track.

0:1:000 121 Reset All Controllers Data = 0, Channel 1
0:1:000 Patch Change 67 Tenor Sax Channel 1
0:1:000 7 Volume Data=100 Ch 1
0:1:000 10 Panning Data=64 Ch 1
0:1:000 91 External Effects Depth Data=0 Ch 1
0:1:000 93 Chorus Depth 3 Data=0 Ch 1

Highlight each of these (and only these entries) and in turn click the Delete button until all are gone. Click on the Close button

That will get rid of the hard coded MIDI information from your imported file.

Now, click on the Sequencer button and select "Sequencer on Melody Track".

In the window that pops up, just click OK. Since there will only be one channel in the Sequencer, BIAB will ask if you want to set it back to single channel. Answer "Yes".

Now, you can change instruments to your heart's content via the mixer for the melody channel.

That being said, I could have just made the instrument change using the Sequencer feature; however, the MIDI file also contained panning, volume, effects, and chorus commands. By deleting them in the event list editor first, you regain control over those parameters as well. That's why I didn't just go straight to the sequencer.
A most helpful post for anyone dealing with MIDI imported from other sources. Thank you John.
Hi folks,

I am a newbie. I have imported a MIDI file to the melody track that I would like to use as a backing track. The file has MIDI instruments playing the melody. I would like to get rid of these so I can use my voice to sing the melody. What is the best way to do this? Thanks,
© PG Music Forums