PG Music Home
Sometimes BIAB will not interpret major-minor chords correctly. Here is a work around that works well.

If you enter the following chords into BIAB, chances are they won't sound right.

Am AmM7/Ab Am7/G Am6/F#

If you enter this instead, BIAB will play it perfectly.

Am Abaug C/G D7/F#

Works in any key. The AmM7 with Ab in the bass played as a triad is a simple Ab augmented chord. The Am7/G as a triad becomes a C with G in the Bass. The Am6/F# becomes a D or D9 with F# in the Bass.

Sometimes the standard notation will work, but most of the time BIAB will not interpret it correctly. In D minor it would look like this.

Dm DmM7/Db Dm7/C Dm6/B

Dm DbAug F/C G7/B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Minor Major Chord progression's in BIAB - 02/16/16 04:39 AM
Dave,

Nice workaround!

You got me thinking, did you try Am Am/G# Am/G Am/F#?

...you got me wondering because from a classical harmony perspective, doubling a dissonance (for example, the G# in AmMaj7) overly accents the dissonance and can make the chord sound wrong. By keeping Am consistent throughout and leaving the bass to carry the dissonance, it might sound ok. (I'll have to try it when I get home!)

I like the look of what you came up with, though smile Some very creative thinking there.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Minor Major Chord progression's in BIAB - 02/16/16 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dave,

Nice workaround!

You got me thinking, did you try Am Am/G# Am/G Am/F#?
Noel

Yes Noel this works perfectly. I have used this chord progression many times in both MIDI, RT and mixed styles.
© PG Music Forums