PG Music Home
The below information is based on the Windows edition of Band In A Box 2018 (BIAB).

What is presented is the most fundamental of BIAB audio and midi set-ups.

= = = = = = = =

Firstly...

Have a look at IMAGE 1 below.

1. Click on Audio (#1 on IMAGE 1).

2. Select "Audio | Audio Driver/Settings" (#2).

3. Click on the dropdown menu (#3) and set the Audio driver to MME if it is currently set to WAS or ASIO.

Secondly...

Have a look at IMAGE 2 below.

1. Select "Options | Preferences" and then select the MIDI driver button (#1 on IMAGE 2).

2. Set #2, #3, #4, #5 exactly as shown on IMAGE 2.

3. Click on button #6. This will open a new dialogue window (IMAGE 3 below).

4. Click on "Default Synth" button (#1 on IMAGE 3).

5. Click on the dropdown menu (#2) and select Coyote WT. Close the window.

6. Button #7 should say MME. If it doesn't, click on it and select MME as the audio driver.

The above are general, default settings for BIAB that should work in 99% of situations.

Now Exit back to BIAB.

Load a song, generate it and see how it sounds.

Regards,
Noel

Description: IMAGE 1... Audio driver settings in the 'Audio' menu
Attached picture audio driver set up audio menu.JPG

Description: IMAGE 2... MIDI driver and VSTi/DXi basic setup
Attached picture coyote WT and audio settings.JPG

Description: IMAGE 3... Setting Coyote WT as the default synth
Attached picture coyote WT setting as default synth.JPG
Thanks Noel, midi is a frustrating way to make music.
Real tracks are a saviour but still trying the midi with limited success.
Hi Noel,

Thanks, this is great. Though MME isn't necessarily the best choice for recording, the settings you outlined will get smooth playback on pretty much any machine that's in decent condition.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Noel,

Thanks, this is great. Though MME isn't necessarily the best choice for recording, the settings you outlined will get smooth playback on pretty much any machine that's in decent condition.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

I agree ASIO is normally the better selection for recording audio. However when using the MME selection in 2018 Band-in-a-Box anecdotal remarks in the forum suggests the program is more crash resistant and stable using MME than it is using either WAS or ASIO.
Hi everyone, thank you Noel. With mme selected I get the preview and I also get the playback so... Actually the miscellaneous error mentioned something about media player I guess.

So if I'm planning to save these tracks to wav files to drop into sonar, once everything is in place would it be wise to switch back to ASIO just to do the transfer? Or will it be okay to save them as wav files using mme settings?
Thank you!
PS now that everything is working properly I should probably save the preferences again right?
WSS
Originally Posted By: Westside Steve
Hi everyone, thank you Noel. With mme selected I get the preview and I also get the playback so... Actually the miscellaneous error mentioned something about media player I guess.

So if I'm planning to save these tracks to wav files to drop into sonar, once everything is in place would it be wise to switch back to ASIO just to do the transfer? Or will it be okay to save them as wav files using mme settings?
Thank you!

Steve,

I'm glad you've got everything working.

It's ok to use MME to save as WAV files.

Whether the driver is MME, ASIO or WAS, the output sound is identical. This means that the sound of the saved WAV files isn't affected by the driver. All the driver does is to provide a different pathway to the speakers and some pathways are quicker than others.

ASIO and WAS provide a quicker pathway to the speakers and are useful if one needs reduced latency for something such as playing a MIDI keyboard hooked up through BIAB or recording a vocal directly into BIAB, etc. If those situations don't apply, there's nothing to be gained by using ASIO or WAS. (I always run BIAB with MME unless I'm recording directly in the program or I occasionally hook up my keyboard. Mostly I record and use my keyboard in my DAW, though, and not BIAB.)

Originally Posted By: Westside Steve
PS now that everything is working properly I should probably save the preferences again right?
WSS

Definitely.

I've always found it a good idea to save a copy of preferences when everything is up and running. It makes it much easier to get back to a stable set up if things go a bit haywire further down the track.

All the best,
Noel
As always Noel, thank you so much for your kind assistance.
WSS
Hi Noel, thanks for your prompt reply. Just one problem... I forgot to mention that Im a Mac user. Ive been searching for the Mac equivalent of the material in your post, but I can't seem to find anything that directly relates to the Mac version. I'll keep at it, but if anyone has a Mac solution I'd be grateful.
Many thanks,
Wammer
Wammer,

Post a thread in the Mac forum (the URL is below) and ask for help to set up basic audio and midi drivers.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=39&page=1

Regards,
Noel
BIAB 2019 (64-bit, Windows) Users...

The above settings are for BIAB 2018 and will also work for many of the earlier versions.

The difference with BIAB 2019 for Windows is that the 64-bit version of the program does not support Coyote WT. In this case the default synth should be set to...

VSTSynthFont64 instead of Coyote WT.

Since the 32-bit version of BIAB 2019 supports Coyote WT, the above audio and midi settings will work.
This sorted a problem for me as well.

Thanks Noel for your time and patience.
Thanks, Beatmaster!

I'm glad it was useful information.

All the best,
Noel
all the hot keys in RB are different to BB.......................Shame they never mentioned that earlier..................yes midi sucks.
Thats more or less what PG sent me , assuming i didnt want to connect asio, guitar, mic etc, i did tho, so what do,s one do in that case? Another thread suggested buying a separate recording device for guitars/ mic etc which apparently would dispense with any of these settings? Not making any sense to me, the more i read the more confused i get. yet to speak to any one who is using MME, Or recording in BB/ RB, both have redundant DAWS in that case.
After reading the full thread i think i will just abandon ASIO and connecting audio interface directly into BB, seems it may be easier to just get interface working in my other daw. MME it is then...............just suck it up and accept its actually impossible to connect anything into BB.
© PG Music Forums