PG Music Home
How to do it...

Realdrums do not offer individual instrumental control.

That said, in BIAB 2019, Realdrums with notation were introduced. These Realdrums will have a green line under the "Drum" track on the top menu. Within Realdrum Picker, these drums are also identified by "Ntn###" in the # column. (The ### = three numerals.)

Since this notation is MIDI-based, it is easy to use it with either a general midi synth or a dedicated drum synth such as EZ Drummer to drive a drumkit. By adding or removing the necessary notes from the midi notation, it's then possible to arrange the drums as you want.

As an example, the link below takes you a file I created that began with "NashvilleEven8^1". My process was as follows...

1. Loaded the Realdrums into BIAB.

2. Generated the track.

3. Dragged the "Realdrums" track on the horizontal menu to the MID section of the dropbox (see below). If my BIAB display looks different from yours use CTRL+T to switch between views.

4. I then right-clicked on the dropbox, opened the "DragDrop" folder and dragged the the .mid file to my DAW (I use Reaper).

5. Next, I put a softsynth on the midi track in Reaper and deleted and added notes to create a drum arrangement.

Below are 8-bar audio clips to give you and idea of how some different softsynths sound.

(a) Cakewalk's TTS-1 General Midi Synth

(b) The VSTSynthFont64 BIAB 64-bit

(c) Sforzando - using PG Music's "Jazz Brushes Kit"

(d) EZ Drummer - Cocktail kit

(e) EZ Drummer - Pop/Rock kit

Adding tonal control to Realdrums...

For example, let's say in a particular section of a song, I want the bass drum to boom above the drum mix.

To do this...

1. I would generate drums with notation in BIAB.

2. I'd then freeze the drum track because I want the drums and the notation to remain synchronised.

3. Next, I'd set my DAW to exactly the same tempo as BIAB and then drag the Realdrums across to my DAW.

4. Then I'd drag the drum's MIDI notation across to my DAW. I'd create a copy of this MIDI in my DAW so that the original MIDI drum track is always available if needed.

5. I'd add a drum synth to the drum midi track.

6. And isolate the bass drum in the working copy of the MIDI notation and delete all other drum notes.

The bass drum in the notation should now be a good time-match for the bass drum in the Realdrums track. By having both MIDI- and audio-drums playing together, changing the sound characteristics of the MIDI bass drum will impact on the overall Realdrum sound and thus gives me some tonal control over this drum.
Originally Posted By: Noel96
How to do it...

Realdrums do not offer individual instrumental control.

That said, in BIAB 2019, Realdrums with notation were introduced. Since this notation is MIDI-based, it is easy to use it with either a general midi synth or a dedicated drum synth such as EZ Drummer to drive a drumkit. By adding or removing the necessary notes from the midi notation, it's then possible to arrange the drums as you want.

As an example, the link below takes you a file I created that began with "NashvilleEven8^1". My process was as follows...

This is absolutely brilliant, and very useful, Noel.

Well done, and many thanks.
Very cool, Noel, thanks!

BTW, you said on a different thread that this feature was only available for the new realdrums released in 2019. NashvilleEven8 realdrums has been around for a while, so it looks like at least some of the older realdrums will have this ability.

I'll be making good use of this!
Pages 37 - 38 of the Band-in-a-Box User manual:

Quote:
Currently, 21 RealDrums can show drum notation, and you can find them with the [#] filter button in the RealDrums Picker.

Quote:
If the RealDrums has drum notation, a small green underline will be added to the Drums track button at the top of the screen.

Quote:

AmericanaRoots16th^
FunkRock^
FunkHalfNotePulse
FunkHalfNotePulseTambo
BluesRockEv^
BluesRockShuffle^
NashPopBallad^
NashBrushBalDbKEv16^
NashvilleBrushesClassicShuffle
NashClassicWaltzSw^
NashTrainEv16^