PG Music Home
Posted By: William Radcliffe Audio Wizards tips needed... - 10/26/09 03:09 AM
The last couple of songs I have tried to work with in the Audio Wizard have had some challenges that I hope someone can help me with. The wizard works fine, it is the songs themselves that have the challenges. The basic issue is that I keep running into songs that fall into a nice 4/4 pattern, for say 8 verses of 4 bars each, but end the final verse by stretching out the final bar to melodically emphasize the words of the song. This often amounts to adding something like another have measure or measure to the final verse of a series. Then the song chorus repeats from the beginning again. Th wizard works fine and identifies this as a change in tempo and just stretches this normal four beat (4/4) out and then switch back to the normal tempo on the start of each of these sequence. The problem is that the stretched area timing is not right. The places that the wizard chooses to place the beats are never correct. In reading the Biab docs, they advocate changing the time signature to match the actual beats. I tried this and it just seems to cause odd behavior for styles when you get back to Biab. When you change the time signature you can hear the "band" slowing down or speeding up when you do this. This might be what you want for some songs, but not in my case. In the real performance, the player is just elongating certain syllables for emphasize, not changing the timing of the song. For my purposes, I want to create a very clean song, so I have been trying to avoid using the tempo map generated by the wizard and instead try to capture the song timing in a generic way that does not need this. All in all the wizard is doing a fantastic job of analyzing the song, I just can't seem to get these odd cases back out into Biab in such a way that the style can deal with it properly. I suppose that this has been covered before in discussions about 5.4 timing and such, so I hope there is a great thread out there that covers this. I have not been able to find it though. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Bill
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Audio Wizards tips needed... - 10/26/09 09:49 PM
Hey Bill - you should probably put this on one of the other forums - maybe BIAB - might get more attention.

I know what you mean by speeding up and slowing down. Try this - worked for me the other night . . . more or less. ACW gives an "average BPM" - try inserting the average tempo # in the bars that are excessively faster or slower. Make the changes on the BIAB chord sheet - right click on the subject bar and then click on "Bar Settings" - insert average tempo. Do this for the whole song and it might smooth the midi playback out a.

ACW still has some bugs to work out.

Ian
Posted By: WienSam Re: Audio Wizards tips needed... - 10/27/09 02:29 AM
As above...
Posted By: William Radcliffe Re: Audio Wizards tips needed... - 10/27/09 02:36 AM
Thanks - I wondered if this was the proper place, but since ACW is in both BiaB and RB I thought I would post here. I am very impressed with ACW despite the bugs. I have seen a lot of odd things happen with it if you go back and forth between Biab and ACW and try to preserve all the information. I am sure that this is like anything else, it takes time and practice to master it.
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio Wizards tips needed... - 10/27/09 05:26 PM
I find it is sometimes better to start over than keep going back and forth to the ACW.
If you don't get expected results, re-open the file and try again.. rather than run it over and over in the same seeion on the same file.
© PG Music Forums