PG Music Home
I recently rediscovered the joy of recording jazz using the Band in a Box swinging rhythm section.

1) I typed in my own harmonization of WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN and then added an intro and outro.

2) After muting the piano (as I would be playing my own), I saved as a MIDI file and imported the file into LogicExpress.

3) The individual drum components were placed on separate tracks so I could EQ, reverb, and level each of the component
parts individually into the mix. I found the bass playing an octave too low so I simply transposed it up one octave.

4) I then improvised several performances of my piano part using several tracks. I then pieced together an acceptable
composite of several performances and then edited notes, rhythms and velocities. One 16th-note run was composed right
on the screen.

5) I then went back to change some of the drum and bass parts so as to better support my piano playing. This was fun -
adding accents and such.

6) I played around further for a couple of days and finally came up with a final mix which is posted up on iCompositions. Here 'tis -

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=126853

Constructive comments most welcome. Thanks for listening.

gpt
Laid back and not what I expected at all.

Nice.

Very nice.

--Mac
Loved your arrangement. You've given me some ideas. I usually think of this tune as up-tempo two-beat style.
very nice indeed
Very refreshing sound! Reminds me a bit of Vince Grimaldi. I like your ideas.
DennisD
Yes, George -- very smooth, very tasty -- you can post more of these.

Reminded me of the elegant stylings of Hank Jones.
Sorry guys I meant to write it reminds me of Vince Guaraldi. Check out his Charlie Brown Christmas cd. Post some more, I like the flavor of it. DennisD
Very nice, George! Just now got a chance to listen to it and thoroughly enjoyed your version of Saints.

Very classy. Thanks for sharing this.
Nice, exactly how to use BIAB!
Quote:

Loved your arrangement. You've given me some ideas. I usually think of this tune as up-tempo two-beat style.

Absolutely top shelf! Also not even close to what I expected, this is a wonderful arrangement.

Later,
I really liked this arrangement, also. It sounds like something David Benoit would be recording.

That piano you used has a gorgeous clear tone.

Welcome to the forum, George.
Is there a button for this "Swinging rhythm section" that I'm missing? or are we just referring to various swing styles? That was an awesome piece regardless. The piano was fantastic.

Rob
Quote:

Is there a button for this "Swinging rhythm section" that I'm missing? or are we just referring to various swing styles? That was an awesome piece regardless. The piano was fantastic.

Rob

You brought out a chuckle here, Rob.

No one-button trick at all, just the chosen BIAB style playing as it was designed to play.

Of course, a well-versed and tasty hand at Realtime Playing, Chord Entry, Substitutions, the jazz devices, goes a long way towards making this arrangement very interesting as it plays. There is some very tasty changes in the backup band chording as the tune progresses. Typical of what well-versed live players might do in order to keep the Ear Candy flowing and help create that build to climax and then to anti-climax thang, not just repeating the same exact chord sequence for every chorus. This example is well thought out in that regard IMO. And, yes, the style of live recording and playing that piano is a tribute to the late great Vince Guaraldi. A genius who modestly described himself as "just a boogie-woogie pianist" -- and there's truth to that statement, analyze "Linus and Lucy" and you've got a modified boogie-woogie LH with swing sections interspersed.

Listen to it again and focus on his LH comping. It is ALL THERE.

The Flat Five sub leads to the Flat Two sub, which is on the highway to Tritone City...

--Mac
Tough being in traffic in Tritone City. Everyone is stuck in the middle trying to find another way to go home.
very nicely done.
Bravo!
When this program is handled by someone with true musical genius and instinct it is capable of amazing results! Your arrangement and playing were superb.

I think the key is to have a solid concept of what you want to accomplish and then use various tools, including BIAB to accomplish that, instead of the approach many are taking, which is to sort of let the program dictate direction.

I'm going to look for everything you have posted. Count me among your fans.
Quote:

I think the key is to have a solid concept of what you want to accomplish and then use various tools, including BIAB to accomplish that, instead of the approach many are taking, which is to sort of let the program dictate direction.

BINGO

Hold yer cards, ladies and gennamen, we have a winner here!

"Always have the full arrangement in your head first..."

We cannot count on Serendippity to bring in every performance.

--Mac
hi George! that's some great playing there really enjoyed this thanks eric
This is my kinda Jazz, GT. Very tasty.

Cheers!
Kj
© PG Music Forums