PG Music Home
Getting the right drum track for your song is essential.

And different drum tracks can give you a completely different feel without changing any other instruments.

There were questions in another forum about how to efficiently audition RealDrum choices.
After all there are 567 choices (in BIAB 2019 UltraPak and up - I will update this when my 2020 arrives in a day or two...)

To choose a different drum track, click the drop-down arrow (far right) in the Drums track in the mixer or right-click "Drum" at the top and then choose "RealDrums" (the first selection - it will display your current selection, too).

The RealDrums Picker screen will pop up. You can filter that or order it by a number of different columns which can make it easier to narrow in on what you need.

An easy way to audition them:

Open a fresh BIAB session.
Enter your main chord progression in a few times and then tell that to loop a few time.
Like maybe C Am F G in 4 measures X 4 (16 measures) and repeated 10 times (the Choruses field).
Make sure the tempo is set where you want it.
(If you save this SGU - as "Drum Test", for example - you can use it every time you want to do this. Simply change the chords and tempo for different songs).

Just add a couple of basic instruments besides the drums (acoustic guitars?) - mute anything else. And turn the drums up louder than the guitars to really be able to hear them....

I would also suggest that you set the 1st 4 measures as "a", the 2nd 4 as "b", 3rd 4 as "a" and 4th 4 as "b". That way you will hear the changes that happen.

Then bring up the RealDrums Picker screen.

Highlight a RealDrum to audition and hit the "Play Now" button at the bottom.
You will hear what the drums sound like with your chords at your tempo...

To try a different RealDrum... As it is playing, just highlight a different RealDrum and hit "Play Now" button again. It will keep playing, but swap out the drums...
Repeat, repeat, repeat...

Clicking any of the column headers will sort by that column.
That can help to group similar styles.
Or by Artist if you find a particular drummer who works for you a lot.
Nice tip Floyd. Thank you for taking time to document and share it. Like you said the choice of a drum track can make or break a song.
Good tip. I'll give it a try soon. I don't often change the drums but if anything, just add a percussion to existing drums. This expands my options a bit.
© PG Music Forums