PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 HOW TO: Remove patch changes from MIDI file - 08/18/21 07:51 AM
To remove patches from a downloaded MIDI file...

1. Switch to Piano Roll Mode.

2. Make sure that #2 (View/Edit) is set to "Program and #1 (Channels) is set to "ALL." These are shown on the upper image below. If a patch is present in the file, it will appear in the region labelled #3.

3. As shown on the lower image (#1), hover the mouse over the patch name.

4. Right-click.

5. Select "Select all graphic events" from the pop-up menu.

6. Select "Delete selected events."

Now save the BIAB with a slightly varied name. Doing this will allow you to reload the original file should you need to.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture piano roll patch changes 1 small.jpg
Attached picture piano roll patch changes 2 small.jpg
Thank you, Noel. This info should be very helpful to many users.
Thanks for this Noel, I've already sent this to three customers today!
Thanks Matt and Simon.

Simon, I'm glad it's useful information.
Very useful tip! Thanks!!
Posted By: Dave Re: HOW TO: Remove patch changes from MIDI file - 08/26/21 05:27 PM
I am not a big user of MIDI files from the internet, but in the past I have used the event editor to cleanup unwanted "stuff"

First I opened the file using <Open Special>, then using the Notation mode, I used the <Event Editor> (#)

All event types are shown, but the filter can be used to select the specific event type you are looking for.

Does this work for you?
Hi Dave,

That works too.

Until you mentioned it, I've never accessed this editor via the #-button in Notation Mode. I've always gone through the "Melody | Edit Melody Track | Step Edit Melody". (It's definitely much easier to use the #-button in Notation mode.)

Regards,
Noel
#-button?

I do it like you, Noel, using the Step Edit function. I’ll have to look at this.
Posted By: Dave Re: HOW TO: Remove patch changes from MIDI file - 09/26/21 07:41 PM
I also use it to edit note lyrics. As they are a midi event loosely attached to a note event, it's easy to delete then, or adjust their placement. You can move them away from their notes to reduce space between words or delete them if they are no longer associated with the note.
Very versatile.
This Tip used to work for me, but now, in BIAB 2022, Build 914...

(I wanted to insert a .png screenshot here, but couldn't get it to work in BIAB file manager)

The right click selection doesn't allow selection anymore of just the graphic events. It has all notes and graphics events as the second choice selection.

It was nice while it lasted....
Originally Posted By: Thunderthud
(I wanted to insert a .png screenshot here, but couldn't get it to work in BIAB file manager)

Yeah, it doesn't handle PNG files. You can open the file in Microsoft Paint or other app and re-save as a .jpg and then upload. In some cases you can just rename the file extension.
I had also saved it as a jpg in paint, and uploaded it, which didn't work for me. Should the image show in the text box or the preview?
Originally Posted By: Thunderthud
Should the image show in the text box or the preview?

Nope, another odd item. You cannot see the image until you post it. If it's not the size you like, you have to edit the post and upload a re-sized image.
Wow, okay .. well I'll try again tomorrow when I'm near my computer. Thanks!
okay, it now shows only an option to select all notes (not all graphic events only, as it used to), or all notes and events. I don't want to delete the notes.

Attached picture BIAB Piano Roll.jpg
© PG Music Forums