PG Music Home
Is it possible to use 3rd-party .vst3 plugins with RealBand 2023? The 3rd-party file I tried was named Deelay.vst3 (from https://sixthsample.com/deelay/). It was recognized by the Reaper DAW with no problems.

I used the following procedure in RB:

1. Click the "fx" button on a RB track.
2. Click the "Options" button on the resulting "DirectX/VST" window.
3. Click the "Scan Folder for VST Plugins" button on the resulting "DX/VST Options" window.
4. Browse to a folder I know contains .vst3 files and click "OK".
5. It then searched the directory and subdirectories but indicated that no VST/VSTi plugins were added.

Thank you :-)
RB does not support vst3 plugins but you can use a 'wrapper' try this one

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/element-by-kushview

if you have any issues post a query as it takes a little effort but is well worth it

can't remember exactly but there's a button top left called 'ext'you need to press if the plugin you chain into elements isn't working exactly right
Thanks Bob,
I'll try it. Is there any reason you know of that PG-Music gives for not supporting vst3 files after all these years and revisions? It seems that it would be fairly trivial to remove the current "feature" of not supporting them :-)
I agree, VST3 support should exist by now.
Soon I hope
I just contacted PG-Music Chat and asked about when VST3 would be supported. They said there was no projected date, which tells me that they obviously have no plans to ever support it :-( However, the chat agent told me he'd put it on the wish list for me. That really made me feel better, not :-)
FWIW, I think they can't avoid having to support VST3 as some VST providers are dropping the older version.

Like a number of the things they should have done a long time back, I suspect there are frustrations with their tool-chain that make some things more difficult than they should be.

PGM work very hard to maintain compatibility between versions and data from years back, and I also suspect that takes a quite significant proportion of their effort. I personally think they should move on and offer either a software upgrade 'amnesty' or conversion software, but that's only my thought ... there may very well be issues even with that.

Edit: Incidentally I speak as someone who designed a hardware+software product "for at least a five-year lifespan" and said "I'm pretty confident I can make that ten" only to have that product still being sold after more than 25 years and clients getting both hardware and software additions and upgrades throughout that time. My strategy, way back in about 1982 was distributed intelligence and operation by messaging rather than function calls. I'm fairly sure that are lots of those systems still in 24/7 use.
© PG Music Forums