PG Music Home
Posted By: etcjoe Weird notation issue in RealBand - 09/04/23 01:00 PM
I have loaded a midi file in RealBand 2023, Build 6. When I look at the melody track in notation, I want to see it in Guitar Tab as well. I choose that. Normally when I do that I can pull up the guitar fretboard and pick a fret so the notation is kind of where I want it to be and easiest to play. In this particular song all the notes are showing on the B string of the guitar, no matter what I do. so you get jumps from 3rd fret to 19th fret etc. No choices I have made in any dialogs changes it. I normally just have all default settings in notation anyway. The only change I made was to choose Guitar Tab. Very weird. So far this is the only song that is doing it which makes it even weirder.

Any Ideas?
Posted By: rharv Re: Weird notation issue in RealBand - 09/05/23 07:48 PM
Compare that track to tracks in another file that works as expected and see what is different about it?
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Weird notation issue in RealBand - 09/06/23 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Compare that track to tracks in another file that works as expected and see what is different about it?

That is a good idea, but I already did that. I can't find any differences which is just weird. It is a standard midi file, nothing remarkable about it, and only the melody track is showing on the 2nd string only which is also weird. It is not that big a deal as I can just read the standard notation, but sometimes I use the tab.
The real issue is I can't figure out why and that drives me crazy!!!

Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Weird notation issue in RealBand - 09/06/23 06:48 PM
I'm guessing there is something unique and unexpected in the loaded midi file.

For example, where the midi channel and patch assignments are located within a midi file can change how accurate a midi file is read. The assignments might be located with the midi data or inside the midi file header.

Most programs can read assignments in either location which is why some programs prefer to write midi files using one location while other programs prefer the other.

RealBand and Band-in-a-Box seem to achieve the most accurate results when the assignments are located in the midi data.

A "trick" you can try is to load the midi file into another program and then save the midi file under another name. The new file may modify the file enough for RealBand to read the new file correctly.

Another "trick" to try is to save the midi file under a different midi file format. Most programs can save a midi file as a format "0" or "1" midi file.

Format 0: the MIDI data is represented in a single track, though perhaps using several MIDI channels.

Format 1: the MIDI data is represented by multiple tracks, all synchronized to a common time representation where the first track provides a tempo map.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Weird notation issue in RealBand - 09/07/23 02:17 PM
Thanks for that. It could be what I need. I will try as soon as I get a chance. I am away from the house at the moment.
Posted By: Jeff Yankauer Re: Weird notation issue in RealBand - 01/07/24 11:34 PM
Any chance all the notes in the file are on Channel 12? Normally, guitar is channels 11 through 16, and if you're just the position setting in the Guitar Window then you would use a channel below 11. You could use Edit - MIDI - Rechannel to change the channel of the notes on the track.
© PG Music Forums