PG Music Home
Posted By: critter Generating realtrack in RB - 03/22/10 06:14 AM
To all the Master RB personel, a Question from a, I won't say it. I found a good harmonica soloist, for first 8 bars, now I want to use it for the solo in the middle of the song and then again at the last 8 bars, I think I know I will have to regenerate it at the other points on different tracks, I think? When I generated the first 8 bars, how do I erase the rest of the track til the end of song? and then insert on the other two tracks in the same fashion, and erase the tracks when not needed. Thanks, hope that makes sense.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/22/10 07:25 AM
Quote:

To all the Master RB personel, a Question from a, I won't say it. I found a good harmonica soloist, for first 8 bars, now I want to use it for the solo in the middle of the song and then again at the last 8 bars, I think I know I will have to regenerate it at the other points on different tracks, I think? When I generated the first 8 bars, how do I erase the rest of the track til the end of song? and then insert on the other two tracks in the same fashion, and erase the tracks when not needed. Thanks, hope that makes sense.

Hi Critter!

You don't need 3 separate tracks for the 3 parts. You can put all 3 parts on the same track, separated by silence. (Or you can use 3 tracks. Your choice. Works either way.)

You can do this a couple of different ways. The easy way is to generate the whole track once, then delete just the sections you don't want.

To delete a section, just hilight it by clicking the mouse where you want to start deleting, then hold the mouse button down and drag the cursor to where you want to stop deleting. Then press the DELETE key (or you can click EDIT/CUT/KEEP GAP)

Note: when DELETING, start by deleting a little bit LESS than you need to... leave a little extra for fade-in and fade-out

The other way is to generate each section separately by hilighting the area you want to generate before you select and generate your realtrack. NOTE: When doing it this way it is a good idea to generate a little MORE on both sides of your stop/start points so you can fade in and fade out. In the mix this generally results in a more natural sounding part rather than an abrupt stop and start. But even if you want abrupt beginnings and endings, its a good idea to generate a little more than you need so you can trim it more precisely.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: rharv Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/22/10 10:55 AM
If it is a particular lick you have already generated, then you can copy & paste that section to wherever you want by using similar method to what Pat said. You highlite the section and edit-copy, then move cursor where you want it and use edit-paste.

In Pat's post I prefer using 'edit-cut' as opposed to the delete key for a couple reasons. One is the ability to undo further down the line, and the other is the ability to enable the 'smooth audio cuts' box if needed.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/22/10 11:53 AM
I'm with RHARV
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/22/10 03:07 PM
Quote:

In Pat's post I prefer using 'edit-cut' as opposed to the delete key for a couple reasons. One is the ability to undo further down the line, and the other is the ability to enable the 'smooth audio cuts' box if needed.

Thanks Bob. Good advice. I always do it that way too, but the description was getting kind of long, and I was groping for ways to "keep it simple"

There are problems associated with using CUT too, and I didn't want to lead him into any frustrating situations this early in the learning curve. In some situations, CUT closes the gap, and for a new user who may not understand what happened, that would be a real kicker.

I have also had CUT throw me a curve by removing the whole section of song, chords and all. I Didn't want to set him up for that either. Delete is a one-keypress solution that always seems to work without introducing the other problems. FWIW, I just deleted a section then tried to undo the deletion. Undo worked, even after deleting. So, the main difference then is in the smoothing. If he fades in and out, that accomplishes approximately the same thing.

Bottom line, Critter, you have more options with CUT. When you CUT a passage there is a dialog box that opens giving you control of a lot of things that you just can't control with DELETE. It's a good idea to follow RHARV and SILVERTONES advice and get in the habit of using CUT from the beginning.
Posted By: rharv Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/22/10 03:28 PM
Personal experience, and may have been only in previous versions, is that the 'delete' undo gets lost further down the line, after a couple other undo's are performed. May not be applicable in newer versions. I got into the cut habit right away after noticing this.

Correctly learning the Cut Copy Paste routines takes a *little* time but opens more options, which makes it worth it.
Posted By: critter Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/23/10 03:32 AM
Thanks for the info, will work on it tommorow.
Posted By: critter Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/23/10 04:28 AM
Forget tomorrow, I did a cut for the three sets of solo, it worked out great, now if I want to regenerate one of the sections, for a fresh start, what is the process. Thanks
Posted By: critter Re: Generating realtrack in RB - 03/23/10 04:36 AM
Never mind I figured it out, highlighted the area then regenerated highlighted area for the track. Worked great, wow sometimes I surprise myself..................
© PG Music Forums