PG Music Home
Posted By: tagmusic Drop Outs - 03/26/10 06:13 PM
Hi All,

I have recorded multiple tracks in rb and when I recently started to listen to the playback, the music stops. I hear a kind of pop and no music. I close rb and reopen and start play again and the songs goes for awhile and then it stops again. Is there a memory problem, soundcard issue that I'm not aware of. Thanks.

Tommy
Posted By: rharv Re: Drop Outs - 03/26/10 06:28 PM
What drivers?

Pref - audio - drivers button

and

pref - midi - Midi devices
Posted By: tagmusic Re: Drop Outs - 03/26/10 06:44 PM
Hi Rharv,

audio - ASIO, Always on, US144mkII

midi - Tascam144 for in and out reroute midi playbackk to default dx/VSTi synth, Forte dxi Plugin, to
Posted By: rharv Re: Drop Outs - 03/26/10 07:08 PM
Are there MME drivers you could try as a test?
May help narrow things down..
Posted By: tagmusic Re: Drop Outs - 03/27/10 11:56 PM
Maybe it's the way I explained the problem which is probably not to well. When I save the RB recording to a wav file and then it opens window media to play, it will only play a certain distance and then all of a sudden a little pop and no sound as it continues to play. This happened with 3 different song recordings so far.
Posted By: rharv Re: Drop Outs - 03/28/10 10:05 AM
Are you listening with RB open, using ASIO drivers?

Then you have two programs calling one dog.. ASIO is a one man dog..it is likely trying to share time between the two programs

As I said, try MME, or close RB before opening WMP...

Its just a possibility, but a pretty good one. drivers drivers drivers abd all that ..

Personally I find that "Do you want to test it" popup annoying. Usually the next thing I want to do is open the wav for final editing and processing..after saving the seq file of course
Posted By: tagmusic Re: Drop Outs - 03/28/10 07:54 PM
I may have had it open. I will try again and I will try MME. I gotta tell ya', I'm finding alot of things frustrating. Sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going. Changing drivers to accomodate this one and that. SWE synths, HWE synths, bypass or don't bypass. Dam confusing, sometimes. Curious, what are using for final edit and processing. Thanks.

Tommy O'G.
Posted By: rharv Re: Drop Outs - 03/28/10 08:29 PM
Final editing = cut intro/outro space, do final fade, whatever needs to be done for final edit on wave.

Processing; large variable here. Could be Analyzer-EQ-Compressor-Limiter
Or EQ-Enhancer- Compressor - PARMeter
Enhancer may be running in an aux slot even.

or Ozone 4 by itself ..

Depends on what is needed.
Posted By: multitracker Re: Drop Outs - 03/30/10 06:28 AM
As Rharv said, this is most likely because you have 2 programs (RB and WMP) conflicting over which gets to play the wav file. It will probably work if you close RB, then try to open the wav file with WMP. Another way, if you want to stay with ASIO driver, is to "Uncheck" the "ASIO Always On" box. You'll then probably have to close RB, then re-open; it should work from either program after that.

I had this same issue when I was trying to audition realdrum files from within RB. As they are wav files, and my computer was set to play wav files through wmp, they would try to open in wmp but would not play. I finally unchecked the "asio always on" box, closed RB, then re-opened, and voila - I could then audition the realdrums through wmp while rb was also open.

Terry
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Drop Outs - 04/03/10 09:09 PM
Asio can be problematic for some depending on your setup. The only reason you need it is if you're playing a software synth live using a midi controller and this is specific because of the delay with the MME drivers during live playing. If you're not doing that, you don't need asio at all. Even if you plug in a mic to record vocals or a guitar, no problem asio is not needed for that either because you're recording live audio, not midi. Just use the default MME drivers and all those problems go away.

Bob
Posted By: tagmusic Re: Drop Outs - 04/03/10 11:14 PM
I do use an Ensoniq keyboard to occasionally add my own sound. So, when I finish using the keyboard, should I go back to MME drivers? Thanks all.

TAGMUSIC
Posted By: rharv Re: Drop Outs - 04/04/10 10:36 AM
If it works better and is more stable, I'd say yes.
Posted By: manning1 Re: Drop Outs - 04/07/10 11:11 AM
tagmusic
re "pops".
also be aware of the following.
it might not apply in your case on the other hand it might.
if one is useing the same hard drive as win OS resides on..eg C drive
for recording this can sometimes be problematic.
at low trak counts people often dont get probs, but as the trak
count rises and/or if the user is also triggering samples
(from midi traks) on the same hard drive, the likkle drive heads are working overtime
cos they also have to service windows itself.
(to use a crude analogy..think of lots of people trying to play their fav songs
off one vinyl record on a recordc player.)
so what i normally suggest is people test out recording to a dedicated
7200 rpm 32 mb cache drive and leave WIN on its own drive.
as i said i dont know if this is your situation...but its just something to be aware of.
particularly if with lots of traks playback is stuttering.
(read my tips in the tips n triks section sometime related to this.)
let me add lots of people are going out n buying the lovely i7 type processor based systems these days, but the processor is but one aspect. drive performance in recording is also important.
32 mb cache drives are a no brainer for 70 buks.
your daw will thank you..lol.
© PG Music Forums