PG Music Home
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Easy Lyric Import - 03/04/11 05:18 AM
Hey Guys

Is there a way to easily import lyrics?

Cheers.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/04/11 01:12 PM
I play out 3 nights with RB. I'm too old to remember stuff so I have the lyrics on the "comments" screen and then size it so it covers a portion of the left side of the screen. I find most lyrics on the Internet. I copy/paste them into Word were I fix them the way I want. I'll delete redundant verses/choruses etc. Set font. The I copy/paste from Word to the comments screen.Save the song and they're there forever.
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/04/11 10:27 PM
So will this method sync them with the song?

Problem I have (as I currently read chords and lyrics off paper) is that I only need to look at them occasionaly and it can be hard to find where your up to halfway through the song.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/04/11 10:56 PM
No just static words.
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 03:50 AM
So you just want to do live gigs ?
you can use KaraFun http://www.karafun.com/
and CamStudio http://camstudio.org/ if you want the RB chords

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcZajzgFL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJxPll-koLo
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 04:42 AM
Yeah live gigs

Karafun looks good. Problem is will it play Real Band files? I need to have midi program changes sent to hardware during playback.
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 04:48 AM
With KaraFun you need RB to render as wav or mp3 then import into Karafun.
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 04:53 AM
Ahh, no good unless there is a way to embed the midi commands into the mp3 or wave?
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 04:59 AM
Can you just record the output from your mixing deck into a wav file then import to KaraFun.
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 05:07 AM
Also in KaraFun you can use dual audio sources like a midi file i will have to check
if you can use them simultaneously.
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 05:21 AM
Quote:

Can you just record the output from your mixing deck into a wav file then import to KaraFun.

Nah, the midi is for triggering hardware changes and syncing with a beat synced guitar pedal so the change events need to be transmitted.
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 06:14 AM
Ok another option is to put your lyrics in a GDG file and import the
CDG+mp3 file into RB and RB will give you a CDG Screen with your lyrics while RB is playing
So you will need CDG maker. it will be still a lot easier than
putting them in as Lyrics in RB.
I will just have a look for a CDG Creator and get back to you.

Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 06:40 AM
I thought i remember seeing a free one but could not find it.
Have a look here: http://www.karaoke-software.net/cdg-authoring.html
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 07:57 AM
Great. I'll give this a go.

OK, next question, using this method how would I create a setlist of songs to either play one after the other, or play the next song in sequence when a defined button is hit.

I've tried a program called Song Library that you can create setlist etc and have it fire up Power Track songs, but I can't get it to work with Real Band.
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 08:11 AM
How do I import a CDG file?
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 12:46 PM
Jimbo,
I play 3 days a week with my setup. I'm 60 years old.You can learn to use static lyric sheets.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 02:52 PM

Silvertones,
I do the exact samething with my lyrics, but over in BIAB. ..but I bet you already knew that since we have all been around here so long.

Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 04:34 PM
Yes I did but I use RB but same thing. Works great with either program.You gave me an idea though for something else I'm going to try in RB. I'll post back later.
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 10:24 PM
Quote:

How do I import a CDG file?

File > Import
when you make a cdg karaoke you will have 2 files
Choose the corresponding mp3
eg:
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash - CB5050.mp3
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash - CB5050.cdg

RB will automatically load the CDG file
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 10:43 PM
Quote:

Great. I'll give this a go.

OK, next question, using this method how would I create a setlist of songs to either play one after the other, or play the next song in sequence when a defined button is hit.

I've tried a program called Song Library that you can create setlist etc and have it fire up Power Track songs, but I can't get it to work with Real Band.

Action > Jukebox "r" start "p" stop
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 10:49 PM
I also use the JukeBox in RB just didn't have it showing. Park it in the upper rt hand side.I also have Power Tracks open and minimized in case I get a request.I'll play it there so I can go back to the JukeBox after.
Posted By: Jimbo Razza Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/05/11 10:56 PM
Quote:

File > Import
when you make a cdg karaoke you will have 2 files
Choose the corresponding mp3
eg:
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash - CB5050.mp3
A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash - CB5050.cdg

RB will automatically load the CDG file

I created a CDG using Karaoke CD+G creator and it only outputs a cdg file.

Real band won't recognise the cdg and if I import the origonal mp3, nothing happens.

Have I missed something?
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/06/11 12:28 AM
Quote:

Nah, the midi is for triggering hardware changes and syncing with a beat synced guitar pedal so the change events need to be transmitted.

Ok i played around with KaraFun and you can have a midi file and a wav file played at the same time.
So you should be able to save the triggering midi and render the songs to wav or mp3
and then add them to the library in the editor.
There is a button on the player that lets you choose both audio sources or just one
You will need the Studio version of KaraFun.

So you have a few options now.
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/06/11 12:30 AM
Just make an mp3 with the same name as the cdg, then load the mp3
Posted By: musocity Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/06/11 01:16 AM
In RB Window > Show Karaoke Window
In CDG Creator:

Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/06/11 04:11 PM
The problem i have with the methods above (using the notes, or comments screen) is that i have to look back and forth from the lyrics and chords screen when you need a reminder, and can get lost easily. All it takes is to look up and make eye contact with the audience and then the next verse starts and i forget the first word and then i hesitate for a split second and i am behind and off the flow of the song.

So rather than use those screens i use the big lyrics window. This requires that i use .kar files rather than regular midi files for the song base. They are midi, but have embedded lyrics. There are hundreds free on the net. If i can't find a .kar file for a song i make one. add audio tracks to a .kar that i do not like the sound of, and or type in the lyrics to follow the music.

It really is easy and worth it. Less confusion, and places to find quickly when needed.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/07/11 01:53 PM
These are all good suggestions however I was quipping when I said I'm too old to remember.I remember quite well actually.I think the key is,if you're playing in public, to not get used to following the bouncing ball.I have a lot of songs as most do.Having the words and chords makes it much easier if I have a request for a tune that I haven't played in awhile but I do make an effort to memorize as well.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/07/11 05:54 PM
John you are right on, but add one more layer, that is how often do you play? If it is 3 nights aweek, like you currently do, it is easier to get the songs in your head if it is once or twice a month it is a lot harder. I too am working at learning songs better, but it is a lot of work.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/07/11 06:09 PM
Yes very true Rob. If you only play a couple times a month and have a job, family, friends etc. learning all that music then becomes just another chore and ruins the fun of playing out. Me on the other hand have no job,family or friends so I have all the time in the world.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/07/11 06:52 PM
Aw John we are all your friends! I wish sometimes i had just a bit more time to dig in. I go thru stretches where i can concentrate and get a lot done, then life jumps up and bites my backside!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/07/11 07:22 PM
{quote]Aw John we are all your friends!

Well of course your all my friends also.That goes without saying in fact i do wish some of us lived closer together.
Posted By: fianoman Re: Easy Lyric Import - 03/15/11 08:55 PM
I am still living in RB 2009.5 land. Has lyric entry gotten any easier (other than notes or comments) in the program? I only use it for recreation so I would like to have the bouncing ball feature. I would like to upgrade but only if there is a significant improvement in lyric entry.

Good suggestions folks. I will definitely try a couple of them.

Thanks.
© PG Music Forums