PG Music Home
Posted By: Rob Helms Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/01/11 06:05 AM
I set it up as the manual says, and so far it works. it is different from what i am used to. When i use my M audio card i can chose from stereo or mono tracks and i get the sound in both sides of my head phones, with either one. This is because the M-Audio 24/96 card uses delta 1/2 for it's default input. I have to split them to get separate tracks, and i never have really done that.

With the Tascam 800, i seem to always get a mono signal that comes out of one side of the headphone. I can't seem to get RB to record on two separate tracks. I set two up for recording, but all i get is both signals on one track one in the let and the other on the right half.

Now i tried it in four other DAW packages, and go varied results, as follows:

1. Sonar, can't record as Tascam is grayed out.

2. Cakewalk MC5 sees the Tascam properly, but did not want to allow the tracks to inputed properly

3. Multitrackstudio, opens and automatically assigns the inputs to each track in order, but seems to be a bit shakey using the Tascam, and the timeline display is jittery. Also it crackles a bit on playback. I need to experiment with buffering settings.

4. Reaper can be setup to receive input from what ever input i want, and i can record and playback nicely.

I am so comfortable with my M-Audio 24/96 card i am thinking of just continuing with it, unless i need to breakout the Tascam if friends come over to record.
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/01/11 11:02 AM
To make RB record a stereo signal to two mono tracks..
In audio options set the box for 'Mono input' to L&R

Set track to mono audio track and record. Afterwards RB should ask if you want to put the take on next available track. Then you pan the recorded tracks however you like.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/01/11 02:21 PM
That is cool, but what i want it to do is to see all 6 inputs and record them each to a separate track.

What i am getting is that when i plug my guitar into input 1 and mike into input 2 they come out on one track as track 1 left and track 1 right.

RB shows only a gazzilion of the same tracks in the drop down input on each track it just says Tascam US 800 1L/2R over and over on every track. Reaper shows Tascam US 800 1/2 3/4 5/6
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/01/11 03:36 PM
Set the track to be a mono track before recording. RB will intelligently put them on separate mono tracks for you, using the next available blank track. It sounds to me like you are recording to a stereo track.

You don't use the dropdown to enable inputs, you use the audio drivers section to enable inputs to be used. The dropdown you are looking at is for playback port I believe. If you have more than one playback port enabled (again in audio drivers, but on output side) you'll see more selection in that list.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/01/11 11:52 PM
OIC, cool i will investigate!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/02/11 12:59 AM
Okay i got it working Bob, and i was able to attach my TC helicon unit through S/PDIF, now i have vocals on inputs 7/8, freeing up 1-2-3-4-5-6 for guitars and other stuff. I am going to really like this thing once i get the hang of it.

My only gripe so far is the difference between stereo and mono tracks.

On my M-Audio card i could choose either stereo, or mono, and i go either stereo or mono. On the Tascam if i chose stereo, i get two separate tracks. Actually it does not matter on guitars, basses, and vocals. Only on midi synth tracks.
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/02/11 01:53 AM
Personally this adds control I like; having a stereo track as two separate monos doesn't bother me. Exact positioning in stereo field is nice.
Glad you got it working.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/02/11 02:53 AM
Rharv, i suspect that whatever track i choose to be at the top of the list, it will add the inputs in after that one. For instance, if I have things already recorded on track 1, 2, 3, and I open up tracks 4,5,6,7 and highlight them all using Ctrl (4 is red, and 5,6,7 are yellow), then RB will assign input 1,2,3,4 to those right?
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/02/11 12:49 PM
No.
In your example just select track 4 to record on, make it a mono track, and record.

If you have all the inputs selected in the drivers area RB will do the rest for you automagically. It stacks each one on the next available blank track. You don't need to make any yellow tracks and it won't help if you do. If you want them in a different order you have to move them around afterwards.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/02/11 01:53 PM
Awesome, i really appreciate the information. I had heard bad things about Tascams for a long time, but so far this little guy works well.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/03/11 04:16 AM
Rob, are you using the mixer applet from Tascam? There are buttons to link the channels together there, without any interaction from any DAW software. I think it's called 'panner.exe'.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/03/11 05:02 PM
Yeah i saw that as well. I really over use stereo tracks, where they are not necessary. I am really learning this a little at a time. What i am doing so far is continuing to setup RB on my M-Audio Card, since i use that card to play my live music. as i find it easier to get a solid live mix thru my Yamaha mixer.

It seems that with the Tascam, I am fighting way to many volume faders and knobs and getting a balanced mix is tough. With the M-Audio 24/96 card i just ahve to adjust the mixer.

I have Sonar X1, reaper 4.10, and Multitrackstudio all setup with the Tascam for multitrack recording and mixing. I still use Rb and BiaZB for basic track beds, then drag over to finish.

I also know i can finish in RB, but right now it is easier the otherway, plus i keep RB setup for live work., until i get a new lappy topper!
Posted By: slink Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/25/11 03:11 AM
If I may ask - how do you like your Tascam US-800? Right now they are on sale. The next cheapest are the Presonus, which seems a bit low in the value side as it's only 2 in/out with no SPDIF. I bought Reaper and it seemed that this Tascam is a great buy for 8 ins/outs with a SPDIF. Just hard to tell as to the audio quality and the drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Some early complaints but people generally seem to be happy. Hard to get straight answers from actual owners though.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 05:57 PM
Slink, i have not really done that much with it so far, but I will say what i have done has been good. I have XP though and the drivers are great for that OS. I will say it loaded fine and the sound is good thru it.
Posted By: Beagle Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 07:15 PM
hey Rob - I've not been on these forums in a while and I had no idea you had bought one of the us-800s. unfortunately tascam's drivers are hit and miss, at least with sonar.

which driver mode are you using? I would recommend ASIO, not sure if WDM works correctly.
Posted By: Beagle Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 08:15 PM
well, I just went and tried RB with my MOTU and I could not get it to let me assign anything other than the first 1/2 inputs, regardless of ASIO or MME and regardless of how many inputs I selected in the AUDIO settings.

is RB only 2 inputs?
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 08:55 PM
Works fine with M-Audio.

Options-preferences-audio tab-drivers button
enable the in and out ports you desire by highliting them.

Assign outputs by right-clicking a track and selecting an available output port.

When recording you do not assign ports except to enable them as described above. Hitting record with multiple inputs selected (in options area) automatically puts each input on its own track; either in pairs (if a stereo track is selected) or individually if mono track is selected. You will not see any results until you actually attempt to record and then keep take. You also can not select the desired input except to enable it as described above.
Posted By: Beagle Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 10:06 PM
yep, I did that with the MOTU. I enabled all inputs by highlighting them and then when I right click on the track all ports are the same - the first one only.
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 10:35 PM
When you right-click a track and select a port that is for playback. That selection is not for input.
Try recording with them all enabled; you'll get all the tracks recorded. Don't even need to record anything to prove it. Just hit the dang recording button and keep take. You'll see it happen.
To make it easy to see, highlite a track to record on that has a bunch of empty tracks below it. Input one will go to the first track (so will input 2 if a stereo track is recorded to)
Then each input (from top to bottom in the drivers list) will go the next available blank track.
Posted By: Beagle Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 10:45 PM
oh, cool. thanks I'll try that.
Posted By: rharv Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/26/11 10:54 PM
Once you get used to it, it is natural. But first attempt you gotta just trust it and try it.
If the selected track is stereo the following tracks (rest of the inputs) will be stereo also. If the selected track is mono you'll get all mono.
If you want to change them, the Track menu allows splitting stereo tracks or combining mono tracks.

I like working with mono myself (using two tracks for a stereo signal), but you do have the option. I figure if you can have total control of the panning, and also the volume, it makes things easier to position in the mix. Others here differ from that point of view, so take that with a grain of salt I guess.
Posted By: slink Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/27/11 02:01 AM
Robh - Thanks much for the good words on the Tascam. I have decided to pass even though it's just a hobby for me and the deal seems just amazing. I have heard that the build is light and that drivers for Windows 7 64-bit may work although there are mixed results. An email to Tascam hasn't been answered in 3 days. Perhaps I'm just better off spending an extra $90 and getting something that I know will work and that I'll be happy with, end of story.

I can't wait to finally get to work but I have so much to learn about BIAB alone, let alone Reaper and potentially another DAW. Trying to decided if Cubase 6 or Presonus Studio One V2 will provide an superior set of built in extra tools and solid workflow. I do know that Cubase comes with the ability to print out scores with lyric sheets, including chord charts. BIAB has something basic, which is nice to have in a pinch.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/27/11 02:04 AM
Beag, i did buy the 800, it was a stupid deal of the day for $99 i have XP and the drivers are great. I have my TC Helicon attached to the Digital ins and that gives me 6 more so far all work great.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/27/11 04:14 AM
Word to the wise, don't just load up on DAWs, If you already have BiaB, and RB, learn them, push them, create with them. When they Actually reach a limit look for other tools to fill needs.

I own, Reaper, Sonar, MC5, Multitrackstudio, RB, Powertracks, and BiaB, guess what i can get the same results with all of them. You can spend a fortune buying gear, and software, all of which seems to be obsolete in 6 months.

Settle in on a solid interface and run with it. I used a Delta 24/96 PCI card for the last 10 years. It still works great. I only bought eh Tascam for the ability to have a couple friends over and all track to separate tracks.

It is so easy to get caught up in the forum chatter about which DAW is missing which features, and what works better, different, good, bad, and whatever on each and every package out there. Bottom line is that it is not the tools that make the project it is the carpenter.
Posted By: slink Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/27/11 06:49 AM
Unfortunately I had to sell the Delta because of my new motherboard and it left me in this quandary. By tomorrow I'll know what I'm going to use as I may have Cubase 6. If I had bought the Presonus interface it would be a shame not to have gotten Studio One for $200. Reaper was a no brainer for $60. I also own an old version of Reason but I'm not upgrading that for $200.

The bottom line is that most of these DAWS (not reaper) come with a few added tools that I really like, mostly with regard to vocal processing. I'm looking forward to figuring this out this week so I can just get to work on my DAW of choice along with BIAB.
Posted By: bob1474 Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/28/11 10:16 AM
Hi all, I just wanted to chime in and say I've had very good luck with the Tascam us800. They are VERY nice for the price (got a very good deal on them) Did have a slight problem with the drivers at first, just on one of my Vista machines, but tech support cleared that up pretty easily. (I would have to unplug and the plug the unit back in each time i fired up that pc in order for it to be recognized.) I've pushed them pretty hard both in the studio and live and the've held up without problems so far, expecially since in my live situation I'm pushing RB and Guitar rig 4 and vocals through it, on top of also using the MIDI ports. I appreciate this discussion on the channel setup as out of the box it is a bit confusing at first.
Posted By: jford Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/28/11 05:44 PM
I'm going to attach and on/off switch to the power cable so I can turn it on and off. i don't mind so much having to plug/unplug it, but it's hard to find the plug by feel on this unit. So I always have to pull it out and plug the cable in. With the on/off switch, I'll be able to leave it plugged in and just hit the switch to turn it on and off.

Otherwise, I'm happy with my unit, which I got with the $99 special from MF.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Okay so Tascam US 800 questions - 10/29/11 07:02 AM
I have mine attached to a power strip.
© PG Music Forums