PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 01:37 AM
I can not get good results from that this to save my soul. Anybody have much idea how to use it? No matter what I do I sound like I am talking through a megaphone like Rudy Valee in Winchester Cathedral. One particular song of mine has TERRIBLE sounding vocals and I just can't work with that EQ. Is there a way to run that EQ in real time? Change, apply, test, change, apply, test, change, apply, test, change, apply, test, change, apply, test, change, apply, test, change, apply, test, .... really gets old when you are guessing to start with.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 03:00 AM
My advice; hang it up with offline EQ because with a graphic EQ, you need to be able to audition while moving sliders.

There are two plugins I would recommend here for free; you should use both a graphic EQ as well as a spectrum analysis tool

For a nice linear phase graphic EQ, http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/

From the same company, get their fft analyzer, SPAN http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

If you put these in a chain, try an instance of span, then the eq, then span again. You should be able to hear and see the changes you are making.

You might be dealing with room effects that will be hard to fix in your room without absorption treatment of some kind. Refer to posts from several weeks ago.

-Scott
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 03:06 AM
I record vocal tracks direct in with no room volume on, and my early projects saw the vocals really boxy so I used the parametrics on the mixer and now they are worse than even. I need to set them back to flat and record the vocals on this song again. I mean it's only 5 minutes out of my life, but geeze....

I will try those plugins. What I am missing is feeding back out of the DAW into a real mixer. A physical, tangible mixer that I can touch and work sliders rather than moving a mouse. Everything on this track is fine except the megaphone vocals. They really suck.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 03:24 AM
Eddie - hang some blankets behind your mic. Sing quiet. It worked for Simon & Garfunkel and countless others - it can work for you.

Try that with zero EQ for starters. What kind of mic are you using?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 03:26 AM
Shure SM58.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 03:44 AM
OK - that should be fine. Put some hooks in the ceiling, put a rod (broomstick) across the two hooks, and find the fluffiest comforter you have in the house and hang it over that broomstick.

PUt the mic about 18"-24" away from the comforter. Record your vox with no EQ. The SM58 is directional enough that you should be cool.

Experiment with two broomsticks 3-4' apart and hang that comforter across both of them, making a sort of booth.

SM58 is actually a really nice mic to use for home recording. But if you have big-time room issues, then you are going to have issues in the recording that are very difficult to remove after the fact. It's not just about EQ, it's also about early reflections that shouldn't be there - those cannot be removed with EQ.

I generally go for the sing quiet method. But I've got enough treatment options that I can belt it out if I want to as well and not get major room noise in my recordings.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 03:59 AM
I actually have a gobo made from 2 doors with a moving pad stapled to them so that I close them to 90 degrees and stand behind them when I do vocals, and using the door to the room I can make a square isolation enclosure if I want to. The main thing is that I did a poor job of equalizing when I recorded it. I will record vocals again when I next have the chance to work up there. Rehearsal tomorrow night after work.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 05:26 AM
Eddie - you shouldn't be doing any EQ while recording except perhaps a high-pass filter set at 80 Hz or so.

Can you type out your signal chain starting at the mic; something like:

SM58-->Mic Preamp on mixer-->EQ on Mixer-->Line outs of mixer-->Analog input on sound card x-->

etc.?

-Scott
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 12:25 PM
Vocals are very tough to do especially your own vocals. You want your recording to sound like you think you sound. You hear yourself differently. Approach the vocals like they were someone else and try to get it to just sound clear, clean & with full timber.
Here's one of my songs. How does it sound to you? What would you do to it?

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 01:27 PM
SM58-->Mackie mixer -->4 band EQ on Mixer top +2, high mid +2, low mid +2, bottom +3 -->Line outs of mixer to M-Audio Fast Track Pro MIDI interface to USB on computer

I HAVE a 31 band EQ but it is not in the loop. Totally bypassed. Early recordings saw the vocals lacking body so I boosted where I thought my baritone voice was. That made it sound like I was in a tunnel. Or the Rudy Vallee megaphone thing.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 01:53 PM
Hi Eddie - I too use an SM58. My mic interface is an older Tascam 8 tk Portastudio 488. I record with the EQ flat.
I also make sure that I stay 6 in. away from the mic. The SM58 has a great proximity effect for live singing, but can be over-powering on the low end for recording. So if you keep back from the mic (behind a pop filter helps) you can save yourself some EQing hassles on the low end, and then as Scott suggests, use a highpass filter for light tweaking on the low end.
At least that's how I've learned to handle the 58 on my system. Sometimes I use a nano compresser set at 2 or 3:1 because my voice can be spikey trying to hit high notes, or too soft trying to hit low. But generally no applications of anything until after a clean record.

Cheers - Ian
Posted By: DrDan Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/04/11 11:58 PM
Quote:

Vocals are very tough to do especially your own vocals. You want your recording to sound like you think you sound. You hear yourself differently. Approach the vocals like they were someone else and try to get it to just sound clear, clean & with full timber.
Here's one of my songs. How does it sound to you? What would you do to it?

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Damn Google Docs - why do they need to have us register and put in a password. Any ohter options for posting?
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/05/11 01:10 PM
I'm in the process of dumping them.
Try this. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Mic plugged into the Harmony GXT/HW Mixer/Auxout to Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card.No other processing.

As a side note listen to the screwed up harmonies at the very end. Minor chords really used to confuse this thing if the trigger track was not in root position. I'm half way through fixing this issue.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/06/11 05:47 AM
Quote:

SM58-->Mackie mixer -->4 band EQ on Mixer top +2, high mid +2, low mid +2, bottom +3 -->Line outs of mixer to M-Audio Fast Track Pro MIDI interface to USB on computer

I HAVE a 31 band EQ but it is not in the loop. Totally bypassed. Early recordings saw the vocals lacking body so I boosted where I thought my baritone voice was. That made it sound like I was in a tunnel. Or the Rudy Vallee megaphone thing.

Here is a better solution: SM58-->Fast Track Pro. Period. Get the mixer out of the chain. No need.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/06/11 05:52 AM
Doh - was listening to Johns version thinking it was Eddie.

John, I would quit the harmonizer altogether. Try it clean or double your own vox naturally.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/06/11 01:00 PM
Quote:

Doh - was listening to Johns version thinking it was Eddie.

John, I would quit the harmonizer altogether. Try it clean or double your own vox naturally.

I posted that in hopes of getting Eddie to post an example of his singing. Kind of hard to help out a phantom voice.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/06/11 04:28 PM
I have not had a chance to breathe since Sunday. I will listen tonight and try recording my vocal track again but direct to the M-Audio.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/06/11 07:38 PM
As a general rule Eddie, you want to record everything completely flat, no eq, no effects into your DAW. Then you switch hats to a mixing engineer and that's when you go track by track and apply all of that. One of my friends is a very good keyboard player and singer. I had him come over to do a vocal track, I plugged a SM58 into my EMU interface, he threw on a set of headphones and sang. That's it. When you do that you hear every little thing and it sounds mostly like crap no matter how good a singer you are but he's a pro, he knows that already and also knows what can be done later. Same for a sax friend too. I had him record his sax just straignt into the mic, he hated it because he likes verb and some eq. I do have the ability to do direct monitoring but I didn't have it set up at that time. After he did the take, he stayed and watched me "fix" the track in RB. He was quite impressed. Once you've done that a few times and realize what you can do with a flat track you stop worrying about how you sound while doing the take and just concentrate on your playing.

There's a lot of guitar/bass players who will even record their stuff direct in and use the verious modelling softwares after the fact too. The thing is even if you have a good piece of modelling hardware for your guitar, your recording engineer may have 10 different ones to choose from in the studio and if you give him a good straight recording with nothing on it then he's free to apply all kinds of goodies to it. If you give him an already processed recording, that really limits his and your creativity.

I do some live on site recordings using my Akai DPS16 recorder and the last two bass players I recorded asked me if I could take them direct because they already know that and they're used to massaging their sound after the fact. One guy has a nice David Eden bass set up and I was going to hang a mic in front of his cab but he still wanted to go direct so I did both since I had enough inputs. I got a nice sound off the mic and I still mixed some effects on the second track.

Just remembered something that's a cool little trick. My singer friend brought his favorite EV mic so I taped them both together and recorded each mic on it's own track. You can have all kinds of fun with two separate tracks of the same vocal.

Bob
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/06/11 08:24 PM
IMO, mixers are evil to the home recordist. I have my reasons. Main reason is that it is simply unnecessary if you are recording an audio signal with most interfaces these days; particularly if you have mic pre-amps in the interface.

If you can abide it, you want the least amount of signal processing, both analog and/or digital, in between your source and the recorded 1's and 0's. This includes cable lengths.

At the Motown original studio, the guitarist and bass player were plugged in under the window of the control room and plugged into a patch panel in the wall. You can see it in this photo right here http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/20929/20929-9/preview.jpg right next to the hand-rail on the left side of the picture.

No amps were in that room during the golden years, or so we were told when I stood within inches of that patch panel.

I assume that you track your vocals after you have some scratch or guide tracks of keys, drums, etc. already laid down.

If so, name one reason why you need a mixer to track vocals, besides pre-amping the mic. If your card does not have it's own pre-amp, then perhaps you should use the mixer - but why not spend a little coin to get a decent pre-amp like some flavor of an ART and deal with equipment that is specifically designed for the sole purpose of pre-amping? I have a nice little single channel dbx mic and instrument pre-amp, but I rarely use it because the pre-amp in the sound card I've used for years is pretty doggoned nice.

Monitoring should be available from your sound card's headphone outlet.

I think you'll be pleased about the sound of the SM 58 directly into the Fast Track Pro, after tweaking. The pre-amps in that unit are decent spec, from those that I know that have one.

-Scott
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/07/11 02:07 PM
I agree inexpensive mixers can add some color even flat , so unless you have an SSL ,ect. like the big boys direct mic into comp is best. I don't like SM 58's for recording vocals, there are cheap condenser mics out there that sound much better and priced about the same .
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/07/11 03:44 PM
There is a nice Solid State mic pre out there that doesn't break the bank. Mac has mentioned it numerous times, and after reading the linked article below with a few respected opinions I grabbed one a few years ago. I like it a lot. Much more than the few ART's I've owned.

StudioProjects VTB-1. Clean SS, with ability to add a little tube if desired.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-g...xperiences.html
It's an old article; the preamp has been around a while.
As far as 'adding some color' .. how do you know? You are comparing one unknown to another most of the time. People get used to the color of one pre and then say the next one adds color, when in fact they all do, along with the mic. JMO
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/07/11 09:35 PM
Quote:

I assume that you track your vocals after you have some scratch or guide tracks of keys, drums, etc. already laid down.

The vocals are the last thing to go down.

Quote:

If so, name one reason why you need a mixer to track vocals, besides pre-amping the mic.

I do it to loop it through the digital EQ and pan it so I can record it in stereo. Those are the only reasons.
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/07/11 10:40 PM
All of my vocal tracks are done in mono, on mono tracks FWIW..
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/09/11 04:52 AM
Quote:

same here. Always. If I double or triple them then I'll pan them a little. Iwould hazard to estimate that well over 99% of vocals ever recorded were done mono then post processed.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/09/11 12:53 PM
Quote:

If using just my mouth I do only MONO but having been accused of talking out my a.. sometimes I'll mic in stereo.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/10/11 10:15 PM
Quote:

I do it to loop it through the digital EQ and pan it so I can record it in stereo. Those are the only reasons.

Ok, lets think about this a minute. Which part of your voice are you panning left and which part right? You could do it with EQ I guess, maybe pan the bass freq's left and the mid's and high's right. Otherwise I don't get it, your voice is not a stereo instrument it's single source. If you want to take your basic vocal track and add harmonies and stuff and pan that part, you still don't bother recording in stereo, you simply copy your vocal track as many times as you need and then add effects, EQ, panning etc to each copied track.

I think you may be overlooking the fact that the pan control in RB works on a mono track. If you want your voice to be 2/3 to the right just move the slider.

Bob
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/10/11 11:23 PM
Eddie, read Bob's response carefully. This is true for nearly any instrument that isn't large physically, like acoustic guitar, individual brass instruments, violins and violas, etc.

These are all traditionally recorded in mono. Monitor through your soundcard and if you set whatever DAW software to record to a mono track, it will play out mono TO BOTH EARS simultaneously. That's all you really have to think / worry about. That's what you should want.

If you want to process it internally in the DAW with stereo effects, that shouldn't be a problem either. Most plugins that have stereo function automatically will take a mono source and process it stereo, like a ping-pong type of delay. Usually no thinking or signal routing required.

Your looping thing through the EQ could be the very source of what sounds odd to your ears about your recorded vox. It's possible you are printing to disk the very thing that is bothering you.

Go simple. Eliminate the mixer. Roll-off the low frequencies below 100 Hz or so, add light amount of compression if you have some level inconsistencies, add slight, and I mean slight amount of reverb to taste and enjoy the results. I think you'll be very happy / surprised.

For effects, try to avoid processing. This includes harmony processing. I have yet to hear this sound satisfactory. There's always a 'machine' like quality no matter if it's the most expensive digitech vocalist outboard gear or not.

John mentioned that he uses harmony processing for live performance. I can understand that but then I have to ask about the listeners. Are they expecting vocal harmonies from a solo artist?

If you are just recording, I say to make the little bit of extra effort involved in recording your own harmonies or double and triple tracking. For not a lot of effort, you can get a much more palatable result. In fact, I would say it's less effort than bothering with harmony processing.

This is the first ever double tracking and BGV project I did using my own voice. It's a two minute cover of Beck's 'The Golden Age': I stand that up against any harmony processor - and you know what it was fun doing the BGVs one track at a time.

http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/new...ute%20cover.mp3

Now, the original song had quite a bit of reverb on the vox and through critical listening, I tried matching it.

Here's the original by Beck btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk

I did all of the parts, including the faked pedal steel - which was a soundfont, but I did the bends and so forth. I recorded an actual glockenspiel (most difficult instrument recording I ever did at home) that I borrowed from church.

I don't like most of Beck's stuff, but there's a vibe on that Sea Change album that is haunting and beautiful. Credit to the choice string section stuff he has in most of the tracks. He learned that from his dad.

I chose to attempt to directly copy the feel and sound of that song because to me it is so sonically interesting. I spent a great deal of time deconstructing all of the elements and trying to figure out how to ape it in my basement studio. I was accused of more than once directly stealing it until people did a back-to-back listen, then the differences are easy to detect (guitar strum rhythms are totally unlike each other, my drum programming is a bit hitchy, etc.)

-Scott
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/11/11 12:02 AM
I add no effects to any recorded track, 'cept maybe electric guitar. I like to effect it later where i can make changes.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/11/11 12:33 AM
I only record vocals on 2 tracks so I can have it on 2 tracks and not make one track so loud that it distorts. I run each track at half volume. 2 x 1/2 = 1, right?

I add some reverb though the 2 digital reverbs that are looped through my mixer's effects bus. (Rob says I add way too much.... LOL!!)

I am going to record the vocals on one track again totally dry, plugged right into the interface, no verb, no EQ.... and see what I get. When I try to use the effects built into Real Band, whether it's the reverb or the EQ, it ends up like when you shorten a leg on a table to make it even. Then the other side os wrong so you shorten that one, and pretty soon the table is on the floor.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/11/11 05:02 AM
Eddie,

Unless your hardware reverb units are Lexicons, chances are you can get a better result inside the box, not outside the box. Any time you are sending signal outside of the card for processing, you are going to add noise. There are so many free, nice sounding reverbs, that you really should avoid looping out to the mixer. Reverbs can have a 'time period' sound to them. As processing power has increased, the natural aspect of reverbs changes. I bagged my Alesis midiverb years ago because I found that I could get much better results in the box, than with the Alesis.

When you record vocals, or any source for that matter, you should try to set the gain staging so that it's a few clicks under 0 dB on the software's VU meter. You can always dial it back.

2 x 1/2 does not equal 1 when it comes to audio, BTW.

Adding reverb should be one of the last steps in a mixdown.

The main point of recording 'into the box' is to use the box. With an SM58, if you are close mic'ed you are almost assured to need to apply high pass filtering. Start at 80 Hz or so and go up from there, until you feel that the sound is getting 'thin'. Roll it back down 10 Hz or so from there.

Now, for reverb, it's almost always a good idea to bus the reverb. First, go get a decent freeware vst reverb like FreeverbToo http://www.sinusweb.de/freetoo.html . Place this into the aux slot and set it to 100% wet. Then, on your vocal track, start the aux knob at full left and as the track is playing back, slowly dial up the amount until you think it's too much. Then dial it back 25% of the travel from there.

While the effects that come bundled with RB can be good, I've not heard people brag on the reverb. It's o.k. to admit that not every effect in RB or PTPA is the best.

Another reverb that gots of airplay here on PG forums was the Anwidasoft reverb. Slightly limited in function, but still very usable. Then there is the whole classic series of Kjærhus plugins, hosted now by the Acoustica folks: http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm Everyone should have this plugin pack. It's the best deal going for 10 years now.

The reason you want to bus the reverb is so that you can send other track output there, without instantiating another copy of the reverb, which would eat more CPU.

I would send you a template project if I had RB, but I don't. Perhaps someone can help Eddie out this way - get him started with the right type of signal routing?
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/11/11 12:42 PM
The simplest (in function) vocal routing I know of is using the PG 10 band EQ, Classic compressor you linked to at acoustica, and the anwida reverb you mentioned. Each of these units gives great sound with very simple controls. and they're free.

I like Ambience reverb because it has a TON of control, but some people don't like it because of that.
Claasic reverb in that acoustica package is nice too.

"Finally Gel" in the user showcase is Barry singing thru SM58 plugged directly into M-Audio soundcard.
Then I used PG 10 band to cut from 120Hz on down and did a slight boost to just the 2 kHz band. Then used Classic Compressor vocal preset and turned the output dial to suit.
Then I put reverb in Aux slot and sent a little of the vocals thru it.
That's what I ended up with.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/11/11 12:46 PM
Probably for another thread but.....

Quote:

John mentioned that he uses harmony processing for live performance. I can understand that but then I have to ask about the listeners. Are they expecting vocal harmonies from a solo artist?

I never quite read this take in any of your posts however I now feel that you are among those elitists that look down upon any of us here playing live with RB or BIAB.You don't totally say that but it sure implies it. If harmonies from a machine are not appropriate from a soloist why would backing tracks be any more appropriate?
Feel free to comment but I'm not going to debate this in Eddie's thread.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/11/11 01:26 PM
Quote:

Probably for another thread but.....

Quote:

I never quite read this take in any of your posts however I now feel that you are among those elitists that look down upon any of us here playing live with RB or BIAB.You don't totally say that but it sure implies it. If harmonies from a machine are not appropriate from a soloist why would backing tracks be any more appropriate?
Feel free to comment but I'm not going to debate this in Eddie's thread.

John, good point about not hijacking this thread. I quoted this post and started a new topic in off-topic.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/16/11 12:53 PM
Quote:

I posted that in hopes of getting Eddie to post an example of his singing. Kind of hard to help out a phantom voice.

I almost missed this out of shock because people rarely ask to hear me sing.... LOL!!!

My tracks

From there you can hear various quality mixes as I have learned and grown behind the mixer. Note that all of them were recorded the same way physically. It's when I started playing with EQ and such that some of them started to suck.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/16/11 02:12 PM
Something wrong with the link
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/16/11 02:18 PM
The link has 2 www addresses. Need to remove the *www.pgmusic.com/forums/*from the link and let it start at soundcloud.com
I had to add asterisks or the address turned into a link due to forum software!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/16/11 02:54 PM
I only have dial so can't stream. How do you DL from that site?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/17/11 05:07 AM
Link is fixed.

Sorry John, but for obvious reasons I have them set up for no download.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/18/11 01:33 AM
Eddie,

I've listened to some of the tracks and here's my comments:

General: Remove the click count-in's.

What If It Was Love?: I hear no EQ issues. I would put a high pass filter on the recorded track starting at about 80Hz and try pushing up the frequency until things start to thin out.

Got Away, Snowball, Lie to Myself: These start to sound a little 'nasal' as you mentioned in a previous post.

Things That Go Together: The whole bottom end of the track is gone and sounds almost like it might be a mono mix.

Do it All Again: Again sounds like a mono mix, but the EQ on the vocals sounds better than the middle tracks.

Insignificant Other: This one is revealing itself as the one where you did the outboard processing. Record it like the first one. Don't be afraid to mix the vocals louder.

Go back to recording a mono vocal track of the SM58 directly. Then high pass filter it (Hey PG'ers, is there a high-pass filter directly in RB? If not, then get one at GVST here: http://www.gvst.co.uk/downloads.htm Just go ahead and grab all of the plugins - they are all pretty good.

Here's the signal chain I would use for starters, after listening to your stuff:

SM58 into your fast track pro directly, then high pass filter, then lightly compress the signal. After that bus over to some reverb. If you don't like what you are getting, then put some EQ in after the compressor. In the 'raw' track like track 1, it doesn't sound like there is a terrible room resonance playing into the recording, so no need to EQ before the compressor.

That's my 2 cents.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/18/11 02:51 PM
Sounds more like that's my 200 bucks. Tis worth more than 2 cents.

If you've time I'd like to understand more about 'high pass' filter.

Now to figure out where 80k is on my piano. Which is my all things reference now.
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/18/11 06:36 PM
Hi Pass in PGFX is done with the EQ's. Cut everything below what you need. I prefer other plugins that get more exact than the 10 band but it's a good place to start.
For vocals that is often from 100Hz on down .. but that's not always the right way to look at it. I have had success boosting 330Hz on a female vocal so ya gatta use yer ears in the long run.

John; high pass filter means everything below a certain frequency gets cut out. The rest of the upper bands are allowed to pass through, thus 'hi-pass' filter.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/19/11 01:45 AM
rharv,

You certainly mean everything below 100 Hz, not 100k!

I also prefer more than the coarse precision of a 10 band EQ, hence the recommendation for a tunable high-pass filter. Those GVST plugins are light on CPU usage, and very nice as a package freebie deal.

John, you've likely used countless hardware mixers in your days. Ever seen a 'low cut' switch on a mixer or a microphone? Guess what, it's a High Pass filter with a fixed cutoff frequency.

Easiest way to clean up a muddy mix is to start taking out low frequency content where it's not necessary, with high-pass filtering as the first swipe. Not too much other than bass guitar and kick drum that need any content below 80-100 Hz.

My 2 cents again. Try it, and I'll bet it ends up being worth far more than 2 cents.
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Band Graphic EQ - 10/19/11 02:25 PM
Yeah, I corrected that .. doing too many things at once yesterday.
© PG Music Forums