PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith Horton Midi Channels not working - 07/14/12 05:36 PM
Hi,
I'm not a big Realband user as I mainly use BIAB, but I have recently started to use it more. The problem I am having is when I open a BIAB file in Realband I get silence on the Bass (Ch2) and Melody (CH4) tracks. I am using the latest build 6, however if I re-install build 2, which is the one I had with the 2012 package, everything is OK, but as soon as I put build 6 back on I lose CH2 & 4 again.

It doesn't matter if I use a VST synth or an external module its still the same problem.

I have no problems at all in BIAB, so has anyone any ideas what might be causing this to happen.

Thanks, Keith
Posted By: silvertones Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/14/12 08:09 PM
In ver 2012 they changed the default channel type to audio and I found it caused some problems when putting midi even though it would change to a midi track.In PREFS change the default track type to midi & see what happens.
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/14/12 11:07 PM
Another thing to check;
EXP (expression) dial in the mixer. This dial seems to default to zero lately (which is fine for an audio track, but not MIDI). Try turning this up if at zero (way up). Defaulting to zero results in no sound.
If set at zero it wouldn't matter if it was an external or internal synth .. ya ain't gonna hear it.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/14/12 11:13 PM
Quote:

Another thing to check;
EXP (expression) dial in the mixer. This dial seems to default to zero lately (which is fine for an audio track, but not MIDI). Try turning this up if at zero (way up). Defaulting to zero results in no sound.
If set at zero it wouldn't matter if it was an external or internal synth .. ya ain't gonna hear it.

The odd thing though is that's one of the issues "fixed" in v.6. But you never know.
Posted By: AlexP Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/15/12 12:36 AM
Man I don't know if we are talking about the same thing.

I have a VST synth (KONTAKT from native instruments). Every time I hit stop / rewind and then play again the VST synth ceases from delivering any sound while it shows MIDI activity passing through to it.....

It feels that every time I stop the song and then play again, it mutes the VST synth for some reason....

Are we talking about the same issue?
Posted By: Keith Horton Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/15/12 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, I've tried all suggestions and its still the same, Ch2 meters are indicating activity but no sound, and if I change to any other Midi channel (but not Ch4)it works. Looks like I'll just have to use build 2 where everything works perfectly and see what happens to the next version in December.

Thanks again, Keith
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/15/12 04:58 PM
Right click track and check port assigment
Posted By: AlexP Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/15/12 09:08 PM
Quote:

Thanks everyone for your help, I've tried all suggestions and its still the same, Ch2 meters are indicating activity but no sound, and if I change to any other Midi channel (but not Ch4)it works. Looks like I'll just have to use build 2 where everything works perfectly and see what happens to the next version in December.

Thanks again, Keith

Man, it sounds like we have same problems. Read my post above. It is probably a bag. I think I will contact customer service.....

Meanwhile let me know if you find a solution, and I will do the same if I find something....

Awaiting for your reply Keith....
Posted By: DonMusic Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/16/12 09:29 PM
After a lot of troubleshooting, I gave a very detailed report about this problem to PG Tech support on March 16, (2012).

They replied: "There's indeed a bug in build 6 that we are aware of which sets expression of several tracks to 0, causing them to be silent with most software instruments. We hope to have a patch available soon that resolves this issue.

I'm still waiting . . .

Don
Posted By: AlexP Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/17/12 06:52 AM
At least there is a workaround to keep us going !!!!

You turn up the mixer "EXP" knobs for each Midi Channel in the Mixer Window and then save the project.

But it is still bugging !!!!

Take care
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/17/12 11:36 PM
I said to check EXP knob about three days ago

Glad you got it whooped
Posted By: LynB Re: Midi Channels not working - 07/18/12 10:37 AM
Yes this is annoying but can be overcome by setting up a "New" Seq file as you require and saving as $Options.seq. This is what is loaded when you select "New"

Again, use File > Window Setup and save a copy as Favorite.RWS also as DEFAULT.RWS.

Until I read these posts I had forgotten the original problem.
Posted By: rich in ca Re: Midi Channels not working - 08/03/12 06:53 PM
Rharv,

Thanks for the tip on the EXP setting in the mixer (Real Band builf 6). [NOTE: Using BBW 2012, Build 350, RB 2012 build 6]. I don't use real band much, but lately wanted to try a few things with it under Windows 7. I noticed when loading in a RB sample, it played fine (as the sample has altered/saved mixer settings with the .seq file), but when importing a BBW file, had the exact problem of no audible midi out. Until a patch comes out, I'll remember your tip. In Windows XP, oddly enough (same RB and BBW versions and builds), not all midi channels are set to 0 (EXP) when importing a BBW song.

Thanks,

Richard
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Midi Channels not working - 08/04/12 07:49 AM
It's now fixed in 2012.5.

Bob
© PG Music Forums