PG Music Home
Posted By: newbert Possible to Extract Score from an MP3 file? - 07/18/13 03:02 AM
I have an mp3 file of a blues piano number that I would like to learn. I know that Realband can extract chords using the Audio Chord Wizard, but is it possible to extract an actual score (ie - with the melody) from the mp3 file?

Extracting the chords alone leaves me with a chord progression, of course. But I'm looking to create a lead sheet for the piece.

FWIW, I'm using RealBand 2012.

Thanks!
No, RealBand won't do that. ACW is for identifying the chord progression only, not for transcribing the file note-by-note. You might be able to do so with a product like Melodyne; however, Melodyne costs a good chunk of change.
If only that were possible! Everybody and his dog has been wishing for that for oh like forever. Have a record of some famous group and extract all the cool licks. YESSS!

Uh, NOOO. Computers are not easily there yet. Melodyne is a tool for converting audio to midi and then the midi can be used for notation. Melodyne has different versions, the basic one is for single sounds so if a song is just solo singing or someone playing single note lines on a guitar or horn then yes you can do it. If the audio file is a full band or a chording instrument like guitar strums or piano then you have to use the full version which I think is about $400. It's much harder for multitrack polyphonic stuff so all I can say is you would have to try the demo and see just how accurate it is.

There's a bunch of Melodyne vids on Youtube check them out. Other than this I don't know of anything else commercially available that can extract notation from an audio file.

Bob
Melodyne Editor has poly ability...... however......

I have used it on poly stuff, a simple piano track. From my personal experience and opinion, there is still work to do on that technology. It's amazing and all that, and I have used it successfully, most often to remove a note or move it rather than to change it. Of course, the mono mode is totally freaking amazing in what it CAN do. Poly still needs some work, or maybe I need to spend more time working in poly to understand the process better to get decent results.

I have never used it to try to extract a solo and convert to midi. Some day I know that will be a possibility, just as BB can now, with relative ease and accuracy, determine the BPM, key and then determine the chords in a song. Maybe I should devote some time to experimenting...... what is spare time anyway... I've heard about it....?
Maybe a work around....
Search with your favorite Search engine for midi or several versions
of the song in midi format. Pick out best version...

With success you can now use BIAB to extract the melody...and print.

Just a small needle in a very large haystack.....

Good luck!
© PG Music Forums