PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob_B Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/02/13 01:15 PM
After many years of owning RealBand, it's only in the last few days that I've made any attempt to use it before moving files to Sonar X1. I've had no problems moving audio tracks from RB to Sonar using the drag and drop DAW plug-in mode, but how do I move midi files to my DAW? I use a Ketron so I don't have a VST/DxI synth installed (nor do I want to install one if possible). Ideally, I'd like to have the program convert the midi to audio in the process of the move to the DAW, as (I believe from memory) happens with BIAB on my system.

Help, as always, is appreciated. Thanks. Happy Labor Day to those in the US.

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/02/13 01:39 PM
Click the DAW Plugin icon and choose to set the Options, there is a checkbox to drag MIDI as Audio via the VSTi.

Then use the DAW Plugin

Description: DawMode
Attached picture DAWMode.jpg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/03/13 01:29 PM
copy and paste works too. I don't often want midi tracks exported from BB/RB to my DAW but I have used copy and paste when I did.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/03/13 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I don't often want midi tracks exported from BB/RB to my DAW but I have used copy and paste when I did.

Thanks for the help. I guess you convert from midi to audio when moving to your DAW; is this via a software synth? I use a Ketron and would like a simple way to do this without relying on installation of a soft synth just for conversion. Any thoughts?

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/03/13 05:55 PM
I use Sonar as the DAW and it supports VST instruments. So on the rare occasion where I had a midi track that I wanted to use, I simply copied the midi track and pasted it to the midi track in the DAW.

IIRC, it copied all the midi tracks from BB/RB and pasted them into the DAW, but only the one I selected had midi data in it so I simply deleted the others and then assigned the midi track I wanted, to a synth and life was good.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/03/13 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzwombat

Thanks for the help. I guess you convert from midi to audio when moving to your DAW; is this via a software synth? I use a Ketron and would like a simple way to do this without relying on installation of a soft synth just for conversion. Any thoughts?

Bob

If you want to use an external synth like Ketron you need to actually record the midi to audio at some point along the way, whether in RB, or another DAW.

MIDI is just data sent to a synth, the synth makes it Audio. So if you use an external synth you need to play the MIDI out to the synth and record the audio signal back from it at the same time.
RB and all DAWs can do this.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/04/13 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv

If you want to use an external synth like Ketron you need to actually record the midi to audio at some point along the way, whether in RB, or another DAW.

Thanks. Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing. It just takes a few more steps than I would prefer, but I'm good with this method.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sending midi tracks to a DAW? - 09/04/13 05:43 PM
I've found that most of the samples in the soft synths these days sound so much better than the hardware synth's voices especially if that hardware synth is more than 3 years old....

Now granted, many of the hardware synths sounded good, but when compared to a sampled piano from some of the libraries that are out now, the samples are awesome.

Since I have a synth that is over 25yrs old..... you can understand why I prefer the soft synths and samples. Mine is a Yamaha DX-27S..... quite a classic and it still works perfectly, but give me a sampled sound.
© PG Music Forums