PG Music Home
Posted By: Don R Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/08/14 02:36 AM
I've noticed that some of the RB Audio samples are comparatively low-volume when compared to others.

I vaguely recall that there used to be a way to pre-normalize a wave file to increase its amplitude without having to use the boost/trim feature on the mixer but can't find it... maybe it was in BB and not RB?

Any hints?
Posted By: seeker Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/08/14 05:43 AM
Don,

I use BIAB for rough work on audio.
Then render wav files for each track by Clicking Wav icon, then check in Normalize box.

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/08/14 12:54 PM
I use normalize only when I need it. I don't normalize everything, just tracks that are too low for the mix.

I do believe I have the "normalize" button checked but that doesn't always seem to give me full looking waves.
Posted By: rharv Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/08/14 09:26 PM
Highlight track (Only the selected section will be affected)
Click Edit-Audio effects-Gain Change
Select 'prenormalize'
Set the other couple check boxes as desired.
Click OK
Posted By: seeker Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/08/14 10:53 PM
Guitarhacker,

Your road is much better...

rharv,

Great information on the prenormalize.
Just became part of my Bookmarks - Brainmarks do fail sometimes.

Thanks!
Posted By: Don R Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/10/14 05:09 AM
Yep, RHARV, that's what I was looking for... didn't think to look in Effects which is funny 'cuz I use the Gain Feature for Fade Outs all the time (not real comfortable with Nodes yet - seems to be quirky).

Thx!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/10/14 02:16 PM
Just a second thought: Normalize is something I tend to use mainly with BB/RB tracks that come out of the "box" a bit too low. many are nice full waves, but for some reason, there are a few that come out low. Maybe they were recorded that way originally.

In my live tracking, I rarely ever use Normalize on the tracks. If I end up with a weak track in my live studio setting, I record it again after fixing the input levels. A weak track simply was not recorded properly, so do it again, and do it right.

In the final mix stages....after I have exported the final mix, I open it in my wave editor and have a look at it. I will generally use normalize at this stage as the last step in the process to bring it to just under 100% with Normalize. I don't want the highest peak to touch 100% or 0db.... depending on how you look at it. Leave some head room for the mp3 conversion process.
Posted By: LynB Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/11/14 10:15 AM
The RB Normalize Command allows for 2db Headroom which allows for some room when Mastering a CD. I use this function for the final mixed track and Gain to correct low recorded levels of individual tracks.
Posted By: rharv Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/11/14 11:20 PM
For those interested ..
I think PreNormalize in the Gain Change plugin does Normalize to either -.3 or -.25 dB. It doesn't hit zero.

Also the PGPeakLimit plugin is set even closer to zero but does not hit zero either.
IIRC Lynn's 2dB is missing a point (character or dot). Not -2 but -.2 or so as default.
However you CAN prenormalize then reduce it by 2 dB (or any other amount) easily with the next box down in the Gain Change plugin.

The image below was preNormalized and is not -2 dB according to the scale on the left.. or any of my other meters I use.

Attached picture Normalize.jpg
Posted By: LynB Re: Normalize Audio WAV's in RB?? - 06/12/14 10:10 AM
Thanks Bob - good job I am not emigrating to the Moon.
© PG Music Forums