PG Music Home
Posted By: HangdogCat How to Export MIDI? - 11/13/14 02:46 AM
I'm trying to export MIDI data which is currently on RB tracks so I can import it into Sonar. I've tried dropping a MIDI track onto the Drop Zone, then going into DAW Plugin mode, and from there dragging to Sonar, but when I do this I get a "DirectShow Error" within Sonar. So instead I've tried skipping the Drop Zone and simply dragging to Sonar. Sometimes this works, but rarely. Usually either nothing happens, or a program which runs within Sonar called Melodyne interprets the track as audio, and then converts in to MIDI, but never quite the same MIDI I attempted to drag over.

I've also tried dragging the MIDI track directly to my desktop, but along the way it gets changed in audio. Huh?

What am I missing? There has to be some very simple way of exporting MIDI from RB.
Posted By: rharv Re: How to Export MIDI? - 11/13/14 03:27 AM
Have you tried saving the RB file as a .mid file and open (or import) in Sonar (?)
(using Save As)

MIDI data should be pretty easy to get to Sonar.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How to Export MIDI? - 11/13/14 06:00 AM
Hi hangdogcat,

The fact that your midi is being dragged over as audio might be due to the settings for the plugin mode.

1. Click on the "DAW plugin mode" button and select the option shown below.

2. Double-check that the "Drag midi as audio" option is not selected.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: How to Export MIDI? - 11/13/14 01:02 PM
I have used the SELECT, COPY and PASTE commands to get midi from PG into Sonar.

Set up a midi track in Sonar first.... then the copy paste commands will work just fine. Be sure to select the target track in PG and highlight it.

I don't use this very often but when I do it works 100% of the time.
Posted By: HangdogCat Re: How to Export MIDI? - 11/13/14 02:11 PM
rharv: I'm not going to try your method because the other two methods (Noel96's and Guitarhacker's) worked, and seem easier, or maybe just more familiar to me.

I'm still trying to figure out which of the two I will use on a regular basis, but they are both easy and direct.

Thanks to all.
Posted By: rharv Re: How to Export MIDI? - 11/13/14 08:41 PM
Glad you found a method you like.
Now go have fun. smile
© PG Music Forums