PG Music Home
I'm trying to use a Yeti Blue (silver) USB microphone with Real Band. I'm using the MME driver. When I first start Real Band with the song for which I am recording lyrics I can hear myself through the mic and see Real Band mixer signal rise and fall as I speak or sing. Upon starting to record Real Band starts flaking out, stopping, stuttering which at this point the application is totally locked up, have to use Task Manager to kill it. Tried 3x, same results. Any suggestions?

Doing some more investigation. Ran into same problem with this song I'm working on with the tried and true Audiobox USB with real mic.
I suggest you try the mic in another recording program and also I would create a new song and try that with the mic also.

I'm assuming you tried the Audiobox and other mic on the same song and two things to try come to mind.

Be sure you change to the ASIO driver when using the Audiobox, experiment with the buffers and also close BIAB, restart it with a new song. These things should help identify if the song you are working on may be corrupted.

The symptoms you're having most times are associated with a driver issue but having the same issue with the Audiobox suggests there may be an issue with your file unless you continued with the MME driver when you used the Audiobox.

Charlie
Originally Posted By: bykhed01
I'm trying to use a Yeti Blue (silver) USB microphone with Real Band. I'm using the MME driver. When I first start Real Band with the song for which I am recording lyrics I can hear myself through the mic and see Real Band mixer signal rise and fall as I speak or sing. Upon starting to record Real Band starts flaking out, stopping, stuttering which at this point the application is totally locked up, have to use Task Manager to kill it. Tried 3x, same results. Any suggestions?

Doing some more investigation. Ran into same problem with this song I'm working on with the tried and true Audiobox USB with real mic.

OK.... the first 2 sentences said it all. A USB mic and MME. Essentially, a USB mic is it's own sound card and then you're also trying to get the on-board card to work using MME which just happens to be the worst choice for a driver in a multitrack environment possible.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that this rig crashes.

My suggestion. Use the correct tools for the job you are trying to do. Invest in 2 things.
1. A dedicated external soundcard/interface that runs the ASIO driver for audio and has audio preamps and phantom power.
2. Purchase a decent non-USB condenser mic.

Doing just those 2 things will normally solve the issues you are having.

USB mics are OK for some things but they tend to create issues in multitrack recording and playback. Even if you could get it to work without crashing, the 2 sound cards are not "clocked up" or synched so there's a possibility of tracks drifting out of time with each other.

Get the right tools and that should resolve the issue.
He has one
Quote:
Ran into same problem with this song I'm working on with the tried and true Audiobox USB with real mic

Likely driver selection problem. Possibly bit rate. Or maybe lack of horsepower.
Also possible this file has become corrupt (maybe try Save As and rename it so a new copy gets written)

Another possibility is a plugin (maybe with memory leak issue) .. I know some free plugins do this. (some versions of freeAmp do here; they work fine at first but then issues start .. as soon as I removed it the issue stopped, it was replicate-able in several files, and this happened on a couple different versions of the plugin yet other versions were fine).

Hi guys, thanks for the replies and suggestions, will do some more investigation today.
If you are using the Audiobox USB, be sure it can run ASIO and that you have ASIO loaded and selected as the driver.

Most interfaces will run with MME and other drivers. However, they don't operate at full efficiency with them.

Even with ASIO, you may need to tweek the buffers and latency settings to get it to run smoothly. I know I did and I have a Focusrite Saffire Firewire with ASIO. Once those settings were set properly, that thing runs like a champion. Try as I may I can't seem to choke it.

Even on an older, less capable computer, if the interface is right, and you're running ASIO, you shouldn't be choking it out.
HI, I got it to work fine. A complete reboot of my machine seemed to cure some of the issues I was having.

[list]
[*]Connected Yeti mic directly to laptop USB
[*]Used laptop headphone jack to avoid latency from mic

Sound actually came out pretty good.
Glad it is working and thanks for letting us know how you did it.
Just hit this issue trying to use RealBand with my live WindSynth Rig (instead of the Trio+). Stuttering at 48kHz with Buffers set to 48 samples on an RME BabyFace Pro FS. Stuttered badly.

Increased Buffers to 128 samples to get it smooth. However, this make RealBand unusable in a live setting, since latency is a big issue for me (in a live setting ...)

(By the way, I *was* intending/hoping to use RealBand MIDI-synced to my looper ... something the Trio+ can't do since it has no MIDI conectivity).
Hi Clint,

Welcome to the forum and to RealBand!

The newest post in this thread is five years ago. May I suggest you begin a new thread so your issue is not lost in the normal forum shuffle.

In your new thread it will be helpful to list: (1) RealBand year and build information available as About in the Help menu. (2) Windows version and build. (3) Driver information for the RME BabyFace Pro FS and (4) The RealBand driver settings.
© PG Music Forums