PG Music Home
Posted By: Pipeline RealBand Ardour - 02/01/17 02:12 AM
Have a look at Ardour Win/Lin/Mac https://community.ardour.org/download
Harrison MixBus uses the Ardour source http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html
What would be easier modifying Ardour source to work with Win bbw2.exe and a Mac bbw2.app as Realband does or reprogram RealBand to Win Mac 32/64 or leave it as it is or ReWire (in progress) and/or a VST that uses Win bbw2.exe and a Mac bbw2.app ???

Attached picture RB_Ardour-1100.jpg
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealBand Ardour - 11/19/18 04:30 AM
This might not be a bad idea after all, this way the Mac users will get a 64 bit Realband. But I know it would be a pain in the @$# after all the writing that went into RealBand.
Posted By: Sundance Re: RealBand Ardour - 11/20/18 10:32 PM
I had Harrison Mixbus several years ago when it first came out and honestly I don't remember my specific reasons - been awhile - but I do remember not liking using Ardour. Maybe it's better now.
Posted By: boydbob Re: RealBand Ardour - 12/04/18 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I had Harrison Mixbus several years ago when it first came out and honestly I don't remember my specific reasons - been awhile - but I do remember not liking using Ardour. Maybe it's better now.

I've been using Mixbus for several years now.
At first it was kind of off and on, but for the last two years, it has continually improved to the point that I don't use anything else.

The main thing that got me was the sound. It colors the sound pretty much the same as a Harrison Console would.
I took audio from Reaper and from Samplitude 10, and loaded it into Mixbus with no processing of any kind and was blown away.
Could you get the same sound with plug-ins? Probably, if you have the skill and the time, and the right plug-ins.

I render Real Tracks from Real Band and load them into Mixbus and they sound great.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealBand Ardour - 12/07/18 03:35 AM
Originally Posted By: boydbob
...The main thing that got me was the sound. It colors the sound pretty much the same as a Harrison Console would.
I took audio from Reaper and from Samplitude 10, and loaded it into Mixbus with no processing of any kind and was blown away.
Could you get the same sound with plug-ins? Probably, if you have the skill and the time, and the right plug-ins.

I render Real Tracks from Real Band and load them into Mixbus and they sound great....

Thanks for that, I got Mixbus some time back when it was half price or less I think ? but haven't really tried it out so I will have to do that soon.

Found it, Larry put me on to it DontCrack offers Harrrison Mixbus @ $19.99 $79
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: RealBand Ardour - 12/07/18 04:51 AM
Been using it since it was beta off and on over the years, and flat out hated Ardour because it felt so ProTool-ish, but LOVE the sound of Mixbus layer on top of it, so I also just run my Stems thru it at the end of a mix and leave it at that.

With V5 I can finally work with it without hating it, but personally I don't see me using it only for mixing....tho the Harrison plugins flat out rock.....

**sigh** LOL!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealBand Ardour - 12/07/18 06:34 AM
Yes you're right it sounds great without touching a thing.
That could be the new RealBand.

Full Screen

Attached File
Mixbus-RealTracks.png  (172 downloads)
Posted By: Pipeline RealBand Ardour - 01/08/20 07:44 PM
BUMP
Posted By: Masi Re: RealBand Ardour - 01/12/20 06:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Have a look at Ardour Win/Lin/Mac https://community.ardour.org/download
Harrison MixBus uses the Ardour source http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

AFAIK Ardour's licence is the GPL, which in turn means that Harrison's version should be GPL too. This means they must make the source code available.

But I googled it. It seems more that Harrion's devs donate code that goes into Ardour. I hope they don't cheat by lifting other folks from Ardour into their product.

I don't see a way for PGMusic to build on Ardour directly, ie integrating BiaB code directly into it. A better approach would be to modify Ardour so it can talk to a BiaB-server process which handles all the song generating duties.

Masi
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: RealBand Ardour - 01/12/20 12:08 PM
Not being a coder I have to take others word for it. However a few years back they were able to marry BiaB and PTPA so that RB was born, by having PT look at the BBW folder from what understand. So I wonder could this be done with ardour? Maybe a smart approach would be to hire one of the Ardour coders to assist. I can see two approaches.

1. start with the plugin and incorporate it deeply into ardour. Then slowly with the teaming of Adar (plugin guru) and the ardour guy expand the plugins capability.

2. Team bbw coders and the ardour guy to modify ardour to work with the bbw folder to create and generate as RB does, but with a more modern GUI approach like the pic pipeline posted.
Posted By: Masi Re: RealBand Ardour - 03/15/20 11:26 AM
FWIW, besides Ardour there is also the option base a product on the Tracktion Engine: https://www.tracktion.com/develop/tracktion-engine

Didn't check for Ardour, but Tracktion has also support for iOS and Android smile

Masi
© PG Music Forums