PG Music Home
Posted By: PeterGannon WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 01:19 PM
We are thinking of adding WASAPI driver support for the various programs. I'm wondering if people use WASAPI drivers with other programs. And if they do:
- does it work well
- what interface are they using? Is it multi-port and do the WASAPI drivers show up in stereo pairs (so that an 8-port interface would show up as 4 stereo inputs)
Posted By: Pipeline Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 07:17 PM
They just show up as a stereo in or 2 mono with WASAPI, there's no multichannel.
The ASIO4All gives you all inputs of all devices (this is handy if you are using 2 devices for recording that are synced with optical or rca cable) but you get that GS Wavetable error thing unless everything else is closed.

I use the WASAPI with the onboard audio for playback/mixing that works good, rather than having a good ASIO interface plugged in and on all the time just for playback. I lent a 16ch USB Phonic Mixer to someone, they used it as a soundcard so it was left on all the time so the internal power supply blew, but I fixed it after replacing a lot of parts, so now I only use the multichannel interfaces for recording only.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dblos28m48uwfio/AU-Audio-Drivers.gif?dl=0
If it ask for Sign in click No Thanks Continue..at the bottom.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reply and the video demonstration.
So WASAPI is strictly for a single stereo input. Not more than that.

It is confusing because I've been told that Presonus interfaces hav wasapi that can do multiple audio in. We have a presonus on order, so I will check that out.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 10:05 PM
))) but you get that GS Wavetable error thing unless everything else is closed.

Does this happen if you select "allow apps to take exclusive control of his device" as discussed here http://www.shanekirk.com/res/pda4cpp/appendix_b_excerpt-2016-10-01.pdf
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 10:28 PM
Also, perhaps SONAR users can let me know if they are using wasapi with the latest SONAR 2016.11 release.
And is this multi port.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000051/SONAR-2016-11-Update-Fixes-and-Enhancements

"Improved Built-in Audio Support: With new WASAPI drivers, SONAR now delivers extremely low-latency performance with laptops and tablets that can rival pro audio devices—we’re talking truly high-performance mobile setups, whether for Artist, Professional, or Platinum. "
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 10:41 PM
Cakewalk supports the WASAPI audio driver and has written articles about it.

+++ Blog article +++

+++ Documentation +++

+++ Documentation 2 +++ I find it very interesting that Cakewalk makes a distinction to select WASPI as the driver for onboard (built into the computer motherboard) audio devices and ASIO for external devices.

I know some of this information does not exactly match your request for information but many users in this forum are also active in the Sonar forum so I'm hoping this may prompt them to add their personal experience using the WASPI driver selection.

I sometimes use the Windows 7 WASAPI driver selection on a Dell laptop while using Cakewalk's Music Creator 6 DAW or the open source Audacity wave editor. While using the WASAPI driver both programs offer additional audio input and output devices that I otherwise would have difficulty using. The WASAPI driver adds native support for USB microphones, headphones and speakers. Latency varies around 10 - 12 milliseconds while using the USB devices.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 10:53 PM
Jim,
Thanks. Do you have a multi port audio interface ? If so does the wasapi driver show all of the ports. Or is it only for single port setups.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/30/17 11:10 PM
That's with the TASCAM. I just tried it with the Avid Rack and I get 18ch with with ASIO but 12ch with WASAPI.

Yes I remember trying that Exclusive thing with ASIO4All but the only thing that worked for me now as I remember is Vista Midi Fix
http://www.benryves.com/products/vistamidi
this sets the default midi output device for Windows, and I set it to Coolsoft, see before after below:

Attached picture ASIO4ALL-Error.jpg
Attached picture ASIO4ALL-Vista-Midi.jpg
Attached picture 002Rack-ASIO.jpg
Attached picture 002Rack-WASAPI.jpg
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/31/17 12:36 AM
Pipeline,
Great tips. Thanks
Posted By: lambada Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/31/17 03:55 AM
This is potentially interesting. I switched to ASIO (I have an ASIO driver available with my Zoom audio interface although I also have ASIO4ALL installed on my PC) as I was having latency issues with the BIAB default driver and it fixed the latency issues when recording to BIAB. Unfortunately, afterwards, I found my midi controls to external devices had stopped. Is there anything in ASIO that alters midi messages? Mine were going out on Channel 4 and 16. If ASIO has nothing to do with those kind of problems, is there any other down side to using ASIO or would I be better to try to set up WASAPI which I have yet to track down let alone use!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/31/17 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Jim,
Thanks. Do you have a multi port audio interface ? If so does the wasapi driver show all of the ports. Or is it only for single port setups.

Peter, all of my external interfaces are dual input that show up as two discrete channels in Music Creator 6 or as linked stereo in Audacity.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/31/17 04:03 PM
I just got rid of all my USB interfaces to go back to old school analog mixer with a Behringer 802. I was tired of mucking with ASIO and latency etc.

I did find that WASAPI is handy in Audacity as I can run my motherboard line ins and outs through my mixer using the LOOPBACKS it provides, so I can, for example, mix my Kentron SD100 to do MIDI along with RealTracks.

I suspect this might get me around the limitation to use DXi for MIDI when I output to .WAV / .MP3 in BIAB. I had been using Audacity for this purpose, when I want to record to digital audio using an external sound module.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/31/17 06:26 PM
Behringer UFX1604

Attached picture UFX1604-WASAPI.jpg
Attached picture UFX1604-ASIO.jpg
Posted By: rharv Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 03/31/17 08:53 PM
Pipeline
I want to come over to your house and play, looks like you have lots of toys.

smile
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 04/01/17 09:47 AM
$599 vs. $59 will get you a lot of features, eh?
I've been using ASIO from the start. What little I know about WASAPI is that it's Windows answer to ASIO. Very similar in how it acts and if I understand correctly, it allows sharing mode so that multiple audio devices can use it at the same time. It is supposed to be a low latency driver. It allows bypassing of the audio mixer and the default settings according to what I read. It is recommended as an audio driver when MME, and ASIO are problematic in one way or the other. If your ASIO driver provides excellent service, there is no advantage to using WASAPI.

It is simply one other option to use for running an audio product. It is proprietary so the device or software has to be designed to be compatible with WASAPI in order to function properly using it.

AS far as PG adding it to the compatibility list, I think that would be a good idea since some people may actually find that WASAPI is the fix they need to run a low latency system with some of the off brand interfaces on the market.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 04/01/17 05:01 PM
"Proprietary" is sometimes an advantage (look at Apple) when you own the stack from hardware through OS and drivers.) I've found the Surface Pro the most stable "laptop" I have ever used. I don't mind a Windows-specific technology when it comes to multimedia (as MSFT has ignored this area for so long.)

I've made an entire CAREER out of Microsoft's inadequacies, so I'm not about to abandon Windows any time soon.
Posted By: Tobias Re: WASAPI driver question for anyone... - 04/02/17 12:36 AM
I wonder if WASAPI shares all your music with Microsoft as it passes through the driver?.

~ just for sarcasm ~
I know nothing about WASAPI.
© PG Music Forums