PG Music Home
I just finished a Real Band project using a Real Track for the drums. I wanted a little more beater sound from the bass drum. I tried EQ but that messed up the general balance of the track. So I copied the drums to another RB track, deleted everything but the bass drum hits, added a little EQ and set the volume to get the amount of thump I wanted in the mix.

Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks. 2b
I don't know if this is an easier way but it it a different way to achieve your goal of adding more thump to the bass in a prerecorded drum track. and will also help highlight other track elements.

Once you've have your RealDrums track playing what you want, duplicate or clone the track so you end up with three tracks to play with and the original track in reserve as a safety back up. Mute the original track.

Ideally you want to use effects to divide the drum sounds into three frequency bands. So one track will play mostly the bass (kick) frequencies, one the mid (snare and tom tom) frequencies amd one track will play mostly the high (cymbal and tambourine) frequencies.

Once the unwanted frequencies have been removed from each track, insert a parametric equalizer on all three tracks and mute two of the tracks. You should hear one (the remaining unmuted) drum track with that track playing whatever frequency band you haven't eliminated. This way you can work on one track at a time to get the drum (low, mid or high frequency) sound you want from each individual drum track.

Set the parametric equalizer so you have low Q and high volume. Then move (sweep) the equalizer frequency across it's band. At some point during the sweep you should hear the drum you're working on (kick, snare or cymbal) jump out and get much louder; stop sweeping as you've found the sweet spot for that track. Mute this track and unmute another track. Repeat until the sweet spot has been found for each track.

Use the track faders to adjust the combined drum tracks to sound the way you want.
Quote:
I wanted a little more beater sound from the bass drum.

If you mean you want to hear the kick pedal hitting the drum head, I've found quite often that boosting it around 2kHz (maybe a hair below) helps.
I know this seems weird, but the 'snap' sound of the peddle hitting the head is often found there..

Just something I've learned when dealing with drums.
It's not uncommon to have to isolate the bass drum like you described. It's part of the art of recording. Even with drums I've mic'd & recorded myself..

and as Jim mentioned, you will likely find there is a very defined and narrow range of the EQ that gets this sound ( the 'Q' in his post).

Find that narrow frequency range that has that exact snap you want and use it.
© PG Music Forums