PG Music Home
Posted By: LeeG RealBand workflow with BiaB and another DAW? - 12/23/17 04:06 PM
I've been using BiaB for about 3 years and still learning new things about it. I've opened RB maybe 6 times during that period. Honestly, I never really saw a need, based on my understanding of it, because I use Reaper as my DAW. However, I recently stumbled upon some nice features that aren't in BiaB (why?) - multi-riffing and the ability to regenerate individual bars. I can see myself using those a lot now

This got be wondering - what do others do, in terms of workflow between BiaB and RB, assuming they use another DAW for mixing? I also wonder what other features in RB that I may be missing out on. Yes, I could go through the manual, but I'm already a little overwhelmed by the documentation for BiaB. It's well done but, if you don't know what you're looking for, it can be a bit much just to just browse.
BB -> RB -> Reaper smile
I just made a Tip for this:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446843#Post446843

As for other features in RB, you've already noticed the biggest reasons to use it in your workflow.
A couple more may be the other included extras; sForzando, Sampletank, MIDI editing (with data filters), .. multiple synths/ports .. audio editing before going to Reaper (to save time) .. more mixer/routing options than BB .. lots of reasons to incorporate it as another tool in your toolpouch.

Edit:
I've had BiaB for much longer than 3 years and I am still learning with it also.

For projects, I find that I make progress faster when I move to RB sooner.
I get the basic idea down in BiaB, then right away move to RB to refine the idea .. then off to your DAW of choice to finish up.
Thanks for the reply and tip.

Sounds like I need to dedicate some time to learning RB.
I forgot about the multi-riff, that's how new I am, and I've been using RB as my main DAW. I've had troubles working in BIAB so I just compose in it, then I work on it in RB.

I can't properly drag and drop audio files out of either one of them, so I've sort of been stuck working in RB. I would like to be able to drop sections of a RT into my main DAW(MC8).

I must say that RB is a really capable DAW, so I'm not really complaining about it. It has some issues, but I'm still having fun with it.
Same as Rharv.

BIAB (for speed of regen, quick alterations etc)....to Realband (for amazing real tracks, generation of multi riffs, quick tidy up in waveform view then to Reaper for polishing, fades, automation of VST functions
and rendering to .wav mixdown (sometimes even further.... to Adobe Audition for detailed edits and additional magic of Ozone)

Sometimes seems like a long way around but each program has it's own great strengths and the results can be surprisingly professional.

Happy Recording!

Have a great holiday

Kev.
© PG Music Forums