PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv Thank You for the separate backup saves - 01/25/18 10:20 PM
We did a recording last week that, when opened today, got the dreaded 'File has invalid data' error.
For a minute we thought we lost 3 hours of creative work (X5 guys = 15 man hours lost!)

Then I remembered to try opening a backup.
Turns out we had 2 backups, and one was from 3 minutes before the final (corrupted) save .. so I opened that BKS file and everything was there.
smile

It was a lifesaver compared to having 4 guys standing there looking at you with an obvious 'not happy' look on their face.

I love that feature.
Posted By: lambada Re: Thank You for the separate backup saves - 01/25/18 10:44 PM
Do you have to set it up or is it the default? Is it documented? Where are the backups found? Never needed it, but I guess I will one day.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Thank You for the separate backup saves - 01/25/18 10:48 PM
I like that with Pro Tools as well.... Glad your session was saved!
Posted By: rharv Re: Thank You for the separate backup saves - 01/25/18 11:17 PM
They get saved as default setting.
How many versions and how much disk space (etc) are all controlled in Options under the File tab.
Labeled 'Create backup file when overwriting a SEQ file'.

Check your current active PT or RB folder (likely C:/Realband or C:/PT) for a sub-folder named RBBackup or PTBackup.

Your backup copies live there.

Currently in RB you would use File-Open Special .. then select Open Backup
In the older version of PT I was on in this instance it was File-Open Backup

I'm just glad they are there!
Posted By: Rutabago Re: Thank You for the separate backup saves - 01/26/18 07:52 PM
I just checked my RB Backup folder, (BIAB 2018) (Windows 7) it's empty! Preferences set for 5 backups per tune with a total of 1000. Where are my backups hiding?
Posted By: rharv Re: Thank You for the separate backup saves - 01/26/18 08:11 PM
One thing in 'RB' I know of that may cause this is lack of free disk space.
I believe if you don't have a certain amount disk space free RB won't eat up the space.

Your post mentions BiaB 2018, which I do not think has this feature.
Only RB does.
© PG Music Forums