PG Music Home
Posted By: Rich59 TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/03/18 10:01 PM
How do you access this in real band please.
Posted By: rharv Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/03/18 10:20 PM
I think in 2018 it is under Generate-Generate Audio Harmonies .. or something close to that. It references BiaB and PT in parenthesis if I recall, which was confusing to me. But eventually it does get to the TCHelicon Harmonizer.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/03/18 10:29 PM
It's also possible to select it as shown on the image below...

1. Drag the mouse across the region of audio that you want to use with TC Helicon (#1 on image). You can also use CTRL+A to select the entire audio track.

2. Click on the "Generate Audio Harmonies" button (#2).

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture generating harmony.JPG
Posted By: Rich59 Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 11:16 AM
thank you. Found it but I have a few questions. It is looking for a midi track that I think matches my audio track. Does this mean I have to play the line and record simultaneously audio and midi? If yes, then I cannot play my guitar alone in order to create an audio file with harmonies. Is that correct? I would always have to select a midi instrument? I also really would like to use this for vocal tracks. Not sure how I would create a midi track with that.

Sorry for all the questions. I had BIAB 2013 and never really dove into it. I am now creating backing tracks for my church and need to really dig in. That is why I upgraded to 2018.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 11:56 AM
Are you trying to play monophonic (single note) lines? AFAIK, the audio harmonies do not support polyphony (cf. MIDI)
Posted By: Rich59 Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 01:03 PM
yes. I am now teting it in BIAB but the preview does not play back.
Posted By: rharv Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 01:07 PM
Here is how I got the best results from it. There's an old tutorial/sample song around here somewhere. I think the song was called After and probably 12 years ago or so, which makes the Search function useless.

Anyway, I'd sing the vocals, then figure out the harmonies I wanted using my keyboard. A MIDI guitar would likely work OK as in the long run you will be using individual (single) notes for each harmony on separate tracks.

Say vocals are on track 11, I then record the harmony notes (via MIDI) on tracks 12,13 & 14.

Then I would go into the Harmonizer, set it to use those tracks for the 3 part harmony. This requires selecting the radio button for 'Generate multi-part harmony from multiple MIDI tracks'.
Somewhere in the process was a way to adjust female/male sound and such.

At this point sometimes I had to transpose a given MIDI track up for a female or down for a male to avoid the 'chipmunk' effect.
Once happy I'd render them to the next available track(s) as audio.

I've seen people have luck with just using the chord sheet, but I wanted more control.
Posted By: ROG Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 01:16 PM
Hi Rich,

First of all, record the vocal track as normal.

Then record a midi track of what you want the harmony to do.
You can use any instrument sound for this - it won't be heard eventually.
Label the midi track "GUIDE".

Now highlight the original audio track and go to GENERATE - GENERATE AUDIO HARMONY.
The Audio track should be the one you highlighted.
The harmony type should be SINGLE MONO AUDIO.
Select a blank track for the audio output - very important, or it may over-write an existing track.
In the top left dialogue box, choose "MIDI PITCH TRACKING" and select the GUIDE track.
Hit "OK"

That should get you there.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 01:17 PM
Hi rharv,

Typing at the same time again!

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing.
Posted By: rharv Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 01:19 PM
One of us is probably right then. <grin>
As usual there are lots of ways to do this, but I agree using a guide track is the much better approach opposed to just using the chords.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 03:16 PM
Rich,

In addition to the above posts...

Following the MIDI track is one option. This is particularly useful if (a) you want to create your own harmony or (b) you want TC Helicon to tune vocals, etc.

If you want to create just harmony, it's also possible to get TC Helicon to do this by setting it to use the chords on the chordsheet. If you select this, it's then necessary to select the type of harmony from the drop-down list of harmonies. (On the image below, I've selected "1 up".)

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture TC Helicon.JPG
Posted By: Rich59 Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 03:48 PM
You guys are awesome. I will need to digest this info. Not to change the subject but how do you notate an Ab2 no 3. I entered it as Ebsus/Ab which was fine but when I changed styles to a piano guitar duo I am hearing Eb in the bass instead of Ab.
Thanks again for all your help.
Posted By: rharv Re: TC-Helicon Audio Harmony Dialog - 02/04/18 06:43 PM
The /whatever note will generally only affect the bass track, if that helps.

In other words C/G will usually only cause a bass track to use the G.

The other tracks play the chords on the left side of the slash.

If you are trying to make a piano or guitar track obey this command, you'll likely find more success/joy by naming the chord differently.

I'd start with Ab2 and hope it worked. Getting to the level of control of dictating certain notes can be trial/error. Sometimes just expressing a different chord/voicing can work .. sometimes not.
© PG Music Forums