PG Music Home
If I were to sub a sound from my Analog Lab 3 synth into a realband midi track how would I save that sound within the song file. As of now if I sub a synth sound and save the song it does not save the sound from the synth because it was not actually recorded in Realband?
Hi Rich,

You'll want to make sure you're saving the project as an SEQ file, not as a MIDI file. The MIDI file format doesn't save plugin selections. If you use SEQ, the file should open exactly as it was when saved.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Thank you I will double check. I did not use (save as) because the file was already an seq file. I could be wrong. Are you the support in the chat last night trying to help me get Realband working with my synth? If you are it appears my OS is corrupted and I will be having the drive wiped and Windows re-installed tomorrow. That could be the issue behind my problems. I will keep you posted.
thanks Rich
Yes, we did talk yesterday.

Feel free to contact us again if you keep having trouble saving sounds once the machine's up and running again.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Am I missing something, wouldn't that be a mixdown because midi is not audio, so unless you sample the original sound from the VSTi, you'll have to mix it down to another track.
yes, BUT. It depends on what you're trying to do. For now the question is about midi but I get what you're saying.

Lets assume he isn't finished with the song yet so he just wants to save it as midi only. In that case he saves it as a .seq file and he can still go into it and change a midi part if he wants to.

What you're saying is if you're finished with the tune and ready for a mixdown then yes, you render it to audio. That solves the issue of worrying about saving all the softsynth plugin info but now you can't change the underlying midi info.

Here's where people can do things differently. You can render all the tracks to audio and save them in the same project so you have both the midi and audio tracks. For me I like things simple, I'll render the audio to a new project so I wind up with two, one midi and one audio. The midi one winds up being my "work" project and the other audio one is my mix/master project.

This is where other DAW's can provide more flexibility but I like experimenting with Real Tracks in a midi file and prefer not going back and forth between RB and another DAW so I tend to just use RB.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
In that case he saves it as a .seq file and he can still go into it and change a midi part if he wants to.

Getting back the same "sound" from a midi instrument can sometimes be tricky, especially if you tweak the default patches, or layer multiple synths w/fx.

In theory it's suppose to work, but doesn't always work in practice. Generally the DAW is suppose to manage saving the patches used by the VST, but when you customize a sound you have to save the preset, otherwise it's lost.

© PG Music Forums