PG Music Home
Posted By: Warren Keller Audio Subgroups - 07/16/18 07:56 PM
Hi all, RealBand let's us create Audio Subgroups of several tracks, controlled by one of the 16 ports at right. That's great to be able to alter their volume as one. It does not look like we can record a mixer move of the subgroup's port however. I have several horns subgrouped that I'd like to bring down behind a solo but back up in the body of the song. Any way to do this? Thanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/16/18 08:38 PM
Only way I know of is to record these moves on an individual track and then copy/paste it to the others for uniformity.
Or enter Control Change events (CC7).
It would be nice if these subgroups could have the control the other individual channels do.
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/16/18 10:20 PM
rharv, can you elaborate? I can't picture that. I think for simplicity's sake I will:

1. Merge tracks to another track

2. Keep the original tracks. Delete the subgroup and use the separate tracks at their original volume for most of the tune.

3. Set the volume on the merged track for the solo section.

Thanks!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/17/18 01:05 PM
In a real console the sub group faders are no longer part of the signal chain. It just operates the vca for the channels. Go to the main mixer and you'll see that if you move the fader for one of the horns the others will follow. Do your automation here.
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/17/18 06:09 PM
John, thanks for your reply. This sounded like the ticket, but it doesn't work here. I have five horns subgrouped as G2 and if I'm reading your comment correctly, moving one of the track sliders does not affect the other four tracks. Let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks again.
Posted By: ROG Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/17/18 06:46 PM
Hi Warren,

You're on the right lines with the merge idea.

I often have several batches of backing vocals sub-grouped, but on occasion I sub-mix them
just to keep the screen tidy. I simply get the mix right between the BVs, then solo those tracks
and merge to a stereo wav file. Once I've imported that back into the mix I can delete the
original tracks and save the SEQ as an incremental file number, so I can always roll back if
necessary. Then, of course, I can use automation on the sub-mix if needed.

ROG.
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/17/18 08:42 PM
Hey Rog, you could also simply highlight the tracks, right-click and Tracks/Merge them to a separate track without soloing or saving them out, no? Thanks.
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio Subgroups - 07/17/18 08:46 PM
Quote:
rharv, can you elaborate? I can't picture that. I think for simplicity's sake I will:
If you want all the horn tracks to get louder/softer on the different sections you could -
Record the mixer moves on one track; these then become CC7 events (essentially).
Then you could use Edit-Copy, enable the data filter and copy just those CC7 Control Change (mixer move) events from the one track.
Then paste these same events to the other horn tracks and they would have the same mixer moves as the original, at the same point in time if done correctly.

Your other idea may be just as efficient (mixing the tracks separately), and if that is more intuitive for you, go for it. Make sure you have a copy of the original somewhere and experiment.
© PG Music Forums