PG Music Home
I'm not sure where to post this. Hope I am in the right place. I'm going to put it on RB also (hope that's alright).

I am working with a Real Tracks style. It fits my song. I like the sounds of the drums and horns. But there are some notes and phrasing on the piano and bass that just don't work.

I know you can't edit Real Tracks but I thought of another way to fix this. I need to ask if it is possible and is there an easier way.

Can I copy the drums and horns to soloist and melody? Set up the song in RB and import those two tracks from BB. Then go back to BB, change to a midi style, edit the bass and piano, then import those two tracks to RB? Seems like the bass and piano would be on tracks 1 and 2 on RB, the drums and horns on other tracks. Would this work?

If this won't work, I can bounce the parts one at a time to my hardware DAW, then to RB. Seems like a lot more trouble.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2b
Three thoughts:

1) If all you're wanting is to use midi drums and bass you can stay in Band-in-a-Box and will not need to use RealBand at all. But of course you can use RealBand if you want to. laugh

2) Why not use the Patches tab to select different drums and bass?

3) Why not keep that portion of the bass and drum tracks that you like and use midi drums and bass for the few measures you don't like? A few years ago PG Music released a video demonstrating this technique on a track with a ukulele instrument. Essentially you mute the drums and/or bass for whatever bars you don't want them to play. Then you use the piano roll view (PRV) to enter midi in the melody and/or solo tracks and assign midi drums or bass.
I'd just open the whole thing in RB and do the MIDI there. It is much better for editing MIDI and generating certain sections of a given track, whether MIDI or RTs

You may even find another style of RT fits the bill better or you may need to resort to MIDI, and in RB it is easy to generate separate tracks of different styles in both MIDI and RTs.
Plus you can make many tracks (variations) of any instrument and cut/paste what you want to use from each variation easily too.
Just seems better suited for the job to me.
I think Rharv solved my problem.

Re your suggestion, sometimes selecting a patch works and sometimes it doesn't. Also, if you start with an RT and then try to switch one instrument to midi, you don't get any sound. I have also been told there is no midi info so you can't do that.

Thanks to you and Rharv for the help. All you guys are great.
I understand completely. rHarv uses this stuff every day so he has developed many time saving workflows.
i know exactly what you mean - the real track plays fine but there are a couple of bars you don't like.

to expand on rharv's post, all you need to do is keep the original track, then generate a second track with the same real track and rb will play it differently. then you just cut and paste in/out the bits you don't like

or use another realtrack - play around see what you like - its so easy with RB but even though i've been using BIAB and PT for years its only with the upgrade to 2018 that i'e started with real tracks. it can be a steep learning curve (i'm learning every day) but its worth it.
Glad it helped.
Generate Multiriff is another cool feature of RB; it generates 8 different tracks of the same part that you can cut/paste from to assemble a finished track in the same way, but does 8 tracks (variations) at once.
smile
© PG Music Forums