PG Music Home
Posted By: 2bSolo Using RB to update previously recorded songs - 09/11/18 11:12 AM
I used to use a Roland hardware DAW and I still have it. I liked some of the songs and they fit a CD project I am working on. I want to improve the drum tracks. I am thinking about bringing the individual tracks into RB as audio and then trying to generate Real Drum tracks for them.

I am thinking I could 1) set the tempo on RB the same as the original, 2) record a click track at that tempo 3) bring in each track and 4)have RB "synch" the tracks with the click track. That would line up the RD track also.

Can I do this? If so, what subjects do I need to search in the Help file to learn how?

Thanks.

2b
RealBand can do this for you. You have several choices. If you have RB 2016 or later, RB has a manual add a click track feature that will work exactly as you've outlined above. You can count by bars or beats. Here is a link to a tutorial

Band in a Box 2016 for Windows - Click track tutorial begins at 37:45

You can also use the Audio Chord Wizard to create a tempo map. Since you will likely already know the tempo, key and chord progression, you should not have any issues making the ACW accurately get a tempo map.
First thing I'd try is exporting the tracks from the Roland (digitally), setting the tempo in RB for the project, and importing the exported files to individual tracks in RB.

With any luck this simple method will work just fine.

If you can't export the files and have to actually 'record' them as audio into RB from the Roland, sync issues may be less likely, but the actual 'start' point will be the issue.
Either way, set the tempo first. Then use other tools if needed.

That way, attempting any other method to get a click will be easier in the long run.

There are videos around here about how to use the ACW to set a tempo map too .. very doable, even on older versions of RB.

I made a video many years ago that started with just a guitar track and an unknown tempo, then added RT's and Realdrums after the ACW did it's magic.. it's all very doable.
Exactly, I'm thinking that if this song was recorded with a metronome, importing the tracks and lining them up visually will likely be enough. Otherwise, the Audio Chord Wizard will do the trick.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Thanks to all of you. I will give it a go.
Yep.... the tracks should import easily and they should all have the same starting point. You might not have to do a manual line up.

Should be interesting. I've done this on a few tunes now and then. Always fun giving new life to older songs and it's amazing what tweeking a few tracks can do. Also, do not forget to rework the "mastering and EQ" as you have probably learned quite a bit that will now make the entire project sound better.

post up some examples... before and after..... when you finish.
Thanks to all. I will post.
© PG Music Forums