PG Music Home
Posted By: 2bSolo VST becoming default in RB - 12/28/18 02:04 PM
Has anyone had this happen?

I was working on a song in BB. Three midi tracks. I used a VST on the drums.

I dragged the midi files to the Drop Station, then imported them into RB. All three defaulted to the VST that was only on the drums in BB.

I took them all back to Coyote WT in RB. Then tried to put the VST on the drums in RB. That VST becomes the default and all three tracks sound like drums.

If you have experienced this, what did you do to fix it? If not, any ideas?

Thanks.

2b
Posted By: jford Re: VST becoming default in RB - 12/28/18 02:56 PM
How are you assigning the drum VSTi? Sounds like you are inadvertently replacing your default VSTi.
Posted By: rharv Re: VST becoming default in RB - 12/28/18 06:49 PM
To use a different VST on a track in RB you assign it to a different Port.
Right-click and select a different softsynth Port and then assign the other VST to that Port.

It is done this way so you can have multiple tracks share a Port (and thus one instance of a softsynth or VST).

Softsynth ports are at the nottom of the list when you go to right-click - Ports option. You have 16 of them available, the bottomone being your default VSTi assignment.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: VST becoming default in RB - 12/28/18 07:29 PM
John and Rharv,

Thanks for the replies.

I right clicked on the track and tried to choose a port. Then I noticed a command Specific VST for Midi Track. I clicked that and it allowed me to choose the one I wanted. It automatically assigned it to Port 17.

I hope you don't think I don't try to use the instructions. I tried the Search and Index tabs; neither told me about this command.

Re trying to set the drum plug-in as my default, I wasn't. I have used this drum plug-in the same way many times before: Click on FX, choose the plug-in for that track. It always worked. Today, RB set the drum plug-in as the default. I couldn't prevent it.

Thanks for your help.

2b
Posted By: rharv Re: VST becoming default in RB - 12/29/18 01:33 PM
What do you mean by 'tried to choose a port'?
Don't right click on the track name area, right click in the track data display area.
Not sure why Port isn't available in the track name area's right click menu.

On the name area you get the VSTi for track option, on the track display area you get the Port option.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: VST becoming default in RB - 12/30/18 01:01 PM
Right clicked on the track. There is an option to choose a port.

But when I right clicked on the data section of the track, it gave me the opportunity to select a VST. When I did, RB set the port. So all seems good for now.

It is annoying to have things work for a while and then suddenly cease to work. I don't understand that. When I finish the basic tracks for the project I am working on, I plan to switch to another DAW.

2b
© PG Music Forums