PG Music Home
Posted By: 2bSolo Skipping and drop outs during recording - 02/26/19 12:02 AM
I am starting to have a problem with skipping and drop outs. I have heard that can indicate I have my buffers set incorrectly or that my hard drive is going bad.

What do you folks recommend for buffer size? I need to set it for the least amount of latency while keeping the song from skipping. Any thoughts? Any other factors to consider or other information I need to give you?

Thanks.

2b
Hi 2bSolo,

In newer computers, running Windows 10, this issue is usually caused by power settings, not audio driver issues.

Can you please check out the power settings I described in this thread (4th reply)?

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=522434#Post522434

If this doesn't do the trick, please let us know, and also provide info about your computer. We'll need to know which model and speed of processor you have, how much RAM, which version of Windows, and whether you're using your computer's built-in sound card, or an audio interface. Also, which version and build of RealBand are you running?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Check your settings as Kent pointed out.

Increase the buffers a few steps at a time. Reduce the latency as well.

You didn't mention what soundcard/interface you are using or the driver mode it is running.

I've had issues in my laptop mainly, when I run Sonar with BB & RB all at the same time. Sonar grabs ASIO and then BB & RB have to use MME. Of course, MME isn't good with midi & audio in the same project so I get all sorts of wonky things happening.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Skipping and drop outs during recording - 02/26/19 11:23 AM
Thanks to both of you for the reply. And Kent, thanks for the specific directions in the thread. A lot of us don't know some things that others consider common knowledge.

So I went to the settings you mentioned and my hard disk power management was set to 5%. I changed it to 100%.

Should I change it back when I am not recording? Is there a downside for other functions?

I will try this shortly, see what happens and let you know. If this doesn't work, I will get back to you with my computer stats.

One last question: Any guidance on what buffer settings I should generally use for recording?

Thanks again.

2b
Hi

With buffer sizes the smaller the buffer the less the latency.
So IMO the smaller the better within the confines of not getting stutter and drop outs.
If it stutters, increase it a bit at a time say 50 or so depending who many steps you are prepared to try till it stutters no more , your latency will increase with each step.
As soon as you reach the right compromise stop. At this point I general add a tad more just in case the audio I am currently using in the future is a bit more complex than the test song.
In other words give your self a bit of margin for that odd extra complex audio function.
Just my thoughts
Mike
Posted By: MarioD Re: Skipping and drop outs during recording - 02/26/19 11:51 AM
In addition to the excellent advice already given be sure to check anything that is running in the background. Things like anti-virus, anti-malware programs etc can cause those kinds of problems. I turn every background running program off and I disable my Ethernet card prior to using any of my music programs. YMMV.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Skipping and drop outs during recording - 02/26/19 01:35 PM
Thanks again to all.

The change to my power management settings didn't make a difference.

The track buffer size is 65536. I left that alone.

I changed some other buffer settings. I changed Preload Track Buffer to 1024. ASIO Buffer size is at 512.

Playback was aurally smooth but I could see the counter pausing now and then for part of a second. What I recorded was usually right on the beat. I wonder if the places it was late were the same places the counter was pausing?

When I got about 70 measures into the song, the skipping started. So I punched in from there, thinking maybe the system is trying to keep the earlier parts of the song. That worked for about another 60 measures. It it helps diagnose this, the song is at 130 BPM.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I will also call PG this afternoon. Thanks to all.

2b
Posted By: MarioD Re: Skipping and drop outs during recording - 02/26/19 04:52 PM
When I an having drop outs, pausing, or skipping it is my ASIO buffers are set too low. Sometimes 512 is too low so I have to increase it to 1024 or 2048. This is for playback. When recording I set my ASIO buffers as low as I can, sometimes at 48 or 64. Converting MIDI tracks to audio tracks helps in getting such low buffers. Using Studio One Pro it is easy going back and forth between audio and MIDI. Sonar was the same way.

Also note that converting MIDI to audio can also lower your ASIO buffer settings in playback also.
Posted By: rharv Re: Skipping and drop outs during recording - 02/26/19 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Thanks again to all.

... So I punched in from there, thinking maybe the system is trying to keep the earlier parts of the song. That worked for about another 60 measures. It it helps diagnose this, the song is at 130 BPM.

In RB the possible issue you mentioned can be tested.
If it is indeed the disk trying to write while reading at the same time, in the Audio Prefs area is a place to change your 'Temp Audio Directory', which is where incoming data gets written. I regularly record 8 tracks at a time without issue.
I usually use a separate drive for writing incoming data so the read drive does less work with less interruption.
Drives can be a bottleneck historically.

Also, try MME even if just temporarily. It may give clues.
Maybe something else is tapping on your ASIO driver and RB is having to share it.
If you were doing anything that needed ASIO, and this makes a difference, it could still be anything from driver issue to the VST(i) that got changed when switching to MME.
You can always very easily switch back but it reveal a clue as a quick test.
© PG Music Forums