PG Music Home
Posted By: Funkifized How to sequence a tune in RB? - 03/11/19 02:25 AM
So, if I should want to create a backing track for a pre-existing song for students to learn the song, or if I should want to write an original, I'm thinkinthat I'd like to actually write the bass part, or the keyboard part, horn parts, etc. How can I use RB to compose/record parts?

Let's say I use a RB style to compose a tune. I've got my chord progression, to which the style used gives me a drum groove, bass part, keyboard, rhythm guitar part. Is there any step-entry way to input these parts? I'm aware of "writing" the melody through the notation, but the clicking of the mouse on or near the lines is nearly useless. Is there an easier method of entering notes? MIDI keyboard would be better, although there are a lot of things that I can't physically play in tempo(I'm not a keyboard player). Am I better off writing such parts in Finale, exporting them as MIDI files, and importing these into the song? *Can* I import a MIDI file into a pre-existing song? How would I then quantize the MIDI file to fit with the rest of the tracks already in RB?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: How to sequence a tune in RB? - 03/11/19 03:08 PM
Everything you mention will work for creating a backing track within RB. If your project happens to be a pre-existing song, find a good midi file, import it and let it serve as your foundation. No need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. A good midi file will accurately reproduce the sounds of the original song in most cases.

While you can easily enter notes into RB using a midi keyboard, controller or similar, if you have a keyboard that will 'save' a midi file, the easiest thing is to create your midi version of the song using the keyboard, saving the file to a flash drive and then open the midi file in RB.

To address the things you can't physically play in tempo or for any other reason when your personal keyboard skills are less than stellar, use a friend, relative or acquaintance or hire someone with the skills. A competent player will have the skill and probably the tools and knowledge to pop out a midi file of a song in just a few minutes time.

Opening a midi file first should populate the chord chart, set the key signature and tempo for you and create a tempo map so the RB tracks you generate will be in sync. This will be true regardless if the midi file is a commercial release or one you've created yourself. The bottom line is to me, there is no easier way to enter notes, chords, tempo and key than to use a midi file. I think that inputting notation allows you to create more complex arrangements than some of the other methods. I personally don't have the knowledge and skill to do that so it's speculation on my part.
Posted By: rharv Re: How to sequence a tune in RB? - 03/11/19 10:08 PM
To Open a MID file in an existing SEQ file (RB and PT)
Use File - Scrap - Load Scrap.

This process simply opens the desired file and puts it on the clipboard .. then you can go to any track and click the Paste icon (or CTRL + V) and paste it from the clipboard to any location in the song.

It's a little convoluted at first, but once you grasp that that open function simply loads it to the clipboard and then you paste it wherever you want, it works a treat.

Otherwise Notation works, and I believe there is Step Record but it's been so long since I worked that way I really don't recall the route .. may be via the Event Editor, and then entering each event on the MIDI track.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: How to sequence a tune in RB? - 03/13/19 12:35 PM
the musical klutz method is what i use. i may have a midi song already that i want to add a part to or i may want to replace a particular instrument.

as a keyboard player i'm really bad but with my midi controller i can transpose the keyboard so that the white notes (the key of c which i can find my way around) can become any key I like so that's no problem for me to record a midi track. then if its a bit off I can quantize it anyway. or if there is one bum note or just a couple, i can change it in editable notation.

as to bits being too fast, simply change the bpm to a lower speed and then return it when you've recorded the part.

don't forget you can record parts in easy chunks
© PG Music Forums