PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/14/19 10:22 PM
I loaded a RB file today and the volume shot up and went all the way into the red on the volume control making loud strange weird noise while the file was loading. then the volume did go back down but kept a continuous -21db noise showing. I have no idea what the noise is. BIAB works fine. Reaper works fine. No extraneous noise showing in either. Both play fine. What would cause this? There was no fx, no mic or instruments hooked up and nothing different in the file from the last time I used it when it was working okay. It did all of this just from opening/loading the file while it was filling in the tracks.

I use win 10 64bit and my RB is last year's with the last update before the new 2019 version came out.

Any ideas what may caused this? Thank you.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/14/19 10:29 PM
I would be looking at audio settings. Windows 10 seems to like changing audio settings, especially after an update. Typically you want your audio settings to be 44.1Khz and 16 bit.

I forgot to add, check both the Windows and RealBand audio settings.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/14/19 11:26 PM
Thank you Jim! I'll check that in the morning.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/15/19 01:52 PM
Okay, Instead of 16bit, I changed RB to 24bit and ASIO instead of MME and so far so good.

If I remember right I think I had changed to MME so I could hear the RTs before rendering and some other glitches I was having a while back. I remember the WAS driver didn't work well for me. Bottom line, Win 10 is no longer giving me the option of 16bit 44100 for my Emu. The lowest I can go is 16/88000. So 24/44100 is my only choice without getting into really high resampling rates. I'm not computer savvy enough to try rolling back win 10 updates so I hope it works out in the long run.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/15/19 04:04 PM
Me again. grin With the new settings (see above post) I can't audition Real Tracks or Real Drums in Realband because I cannot hear them. Even the windows media player little window won't play. However, in BIAB I can audition all the RTs, RDs, just fine.

The only thing I've come up with is to audition the tracks in BIAB and then export them to RB or write down the track numbers and generate them in RB. Way more of a hassle but should work.

I go through a LOT of tracks to build my songs and even though I do most of my editing in Reaper some is still done in RB and I record vocals in RB because - well I really don't know why - probably because I've always done it that way. I'm thinking writing down the tracks while auditioning in BIAB is my best option unless somebody has a better idea. If I can find a way to just sit down and make music without all these computer glitches it sure will be nice.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/15/19 09:40 PM
For listening and mixing try using MME as the audio setting. MME is a Windows operating system feature that allows multiple audio sources to use the computer sound system.

ASIO has a major limitation, only one program at a time can use the computer sound system. Because of that limitation many people only use the ASIO setting in their recording program while recording. The benefit of ASIO is low latency (the time between when a note is played versus when the note is heard). Low latency only matters when you're recording.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/15/19 11:04 PM
Thanks Jim, unfortunately MME was what RB was set on when all this began.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/16/19 08:40 PM
Josie,

What are your current Windows and RealBand audio settings? Are you listening through an audio interface or the computer's default Windows audio?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/17/19 11:29 AM
Josie, are you using the 64 bit or the 32 bit BiaB? I'm just wondering if the difference you are experiencing might be that you are using the 64 bit BiaB and the 32 bit RB.

{edit} have you checked for the latest drivers for your EMU?
Posted By: Sundance Re: Unknown continuous noise only in RB - 06/18/19 04:38 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I'm gonna stick with my workaround so far so good. Windows 10 update switched something and my Emu drivers are old and finicky but I'm keeping it until it absolutely won't work with win 10 because it has great specs that these days are only found on more high end interfaces which cost alot more.

Mario I have 2018 version.
© PG Music Forums