PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Copy midi and paste in a DAW - 10/02/19 03:56 PM
So, I've worked with this program for many years but rarely use the midi aspect.

However.... today, I was working with something that was almost 100% midi. (except for the real drums) I figured I would copy the Midi that BB had created and paste it into a Sonar midi track. I opened the project in Real Band after saving it in BB. So I have the RB file open, and the midi is in the tracks. I select the Entire Track by highlighting it. I click on COPY. I now open Sonar and in a Midi track click and PASTE. Bang! It creates about 8 or so additional blank midi tracks and there's only data in the one.

I'd like to be able to do a copy/paste like I do with audio or even a midi file export but didn't see that option.

Yeah, I could do the copy paste thing with each midi track....and end up with 70 to 80 blank tracks....then take the time to delete them one by one... but there has to be an easier way. I actually did that very thing some time back on a song..... what a pain.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Copy midi and paste in a DAW - 10/02/19 04:25 PM
I think you just save as (*.MID)…. Here's an old post you responded on about 5 years ago on the MIDI export part....

2014 MIDI Post
Posted By: MarioD Re: Copy midi and paste in a DAW - 10/02/19 04:58 PM
Yes saving as a mid file with work and no extra tracks will be included.

If I remember correctly there are two ways to import mid tracks to Sonar. If Sonar is open when you import the mid file it will take on Sonar's criteria, i.e. tempo, etc. But if you have Sonar associated with mid files and you click on the mid file it will open in Sonar with the mid file criteria.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Copy midi and paste in a DAW - 10/02/19 05:52 PM
Hi

As above in Realband save as type 1 midi file.
In Sona Open under file menu and browse to your midi file,
(do not import. Into an existing running project )
That’s it.
Mike
Posted By: rharv Re: Copy midi and paste in a DAW - 10/02/19 06:37 PM
Haven't tried with Sonar, but I can click and hold on a track number in RB (important that you click on the track number, not name or anywhere else), then simply drag the track into the other DAW. Works with Reaper and others .. just not sure about Sonar. Don't recall trying it there, but it's a pretty nifty thing when it works.

As mentioned above, saving the whole thing as a MID file works also.

One other question; you opened a BiaB file in RB. The first bunch of tracks would still be BiaB tracks. (blue labels)
Try using (right-click) 'Track - Make all BB tracks regular tracks'.

BiaB tracks behave differently in RB than regular tracks, be they MIDI or Audio (RTs for example). They retain some characteristics of BiaB tracks.
Try making them regular tracks before continuing to move them to your DAW. Then they behave more like normal DAW tracks in many ways, so some of these oddities simply disappear when making them regular tracks. Not sure if this particular issue would be resolved this way, but a bunch of other weird ones I've seen were.

Once I open a BiaB song in RB, I make all tracks regular tracks, then save as a SEQ file so I know I'm now in more of a DAW mode (though I can still generate/regenerate).
This also helps me avoid accidentally overwriting the original BiaB song (saved in BiaB), as once you write over it from RB you may lose some BiaB features that RB doesn't support.

The caveat of using regular tracks and a SEQ file format is I now have to regenerate each track individually, but once I leave Biab I'm in that mode anyway. I'm ready to work track by track like in a DAW. Or highlight a certain section any track(s) and generate that section.
It's just a different way to work. BiaB tracks will regenerate all BiaB tracks in RB for the whole song when you hit Generate. Regular tracks force you to select what you want to generate first and then it only generates the selected area. Which is more DAW-like in my eyes.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Copy midi and paste in a DAW - 10/06/19 10:18 AM
PERFECT timing for me. I came here to post pretty much this same question; but you asked first. smile That worked out really well because all of the answers are already here!

Thank for asking Herb; and thank for the answers all!

Gotta love this place! smile Friendly, helpful people.
© PG Music Forums