PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob Calver can i align an mp3 to a click track? - 10/26/19 02:19 PM
a friend sent me an mp3 which i opened and used the acw to sort out the chords and tempo.

the chords i have corrected in RB and i think the bar lines are about right.

but the tempo varies a little throughout the song. i can't find the manual reference to aligning to a click track - can anyone help?

but.......before i do that if i have click track to the best approximation of the real time what happens if i align the track?

does it align the mp3 to the track - stretching and condensing the timing as necessary - just like quantising midi?

currently using a drum grid edited tambourine hit ( the only rhythm the track needs) some of the hits are marginally off beats one and three.

if the align to click track won't align the bars to the click track is it best to start again and try to get every bar line exactly right with the acw or can i re-edit it? or will i have to simply move every midi event manually to align the hits correctly?

i assume RB has created a tempo map which will govern midi events if the bar lines are absolutely right

online and electronic manuals aren't as easy to search and scan as hard copies
A new feature added in 2016 allows one to manually create a click track to pre-recorded audio.

I've attached the 2016 RealBand New Features video. Expand the Show More section of the features Index and jump to 37:45 for the section demonstrating the click track.

Band In A Box 2017 for Windows New Features
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: can i align an mp3 to a click track? - 11/02/19 06:12 PM
thanks Charlie i can see how to do that now. however, its a track from a friend playing guitar and singing and i originally entered it as 'open with chords' so i had to enter bar lines manually before sending it to RB. its not far off and with the chords I can add RealTracks and midi parts easily but as i listen in some places the bars aren't exactly right.

i will experiment and see if i can correct it by moving the bar lines to align with the click track as shown in the video even though the bar lines were set by me earlier. should be able to do it to correct the track i hope!
You should have no trouble aligning the bar lines manually. The bars you enter or adjust to correct will override the existing bar lines when you align or realign the click track. If the existing bar lines are close and only need to be slightly realigned, any bar of the song can be manually adjusted without having to do the beat counts count during playback and redo the bars. Sometimes you can see that a bar is slightly ahead or behind the beat and adjust accordingly.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: can i align an mp3 to a click track? - 11/03/19 04:38 PM
thanks Charlie - looks like a tedious detailed edit coming up......... smile
© PG Music Forums