PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul M Realband bug - 01/20/20 10:18 PM
I have been using RealBand for years and starting in with the 2018 version I have had nothing but trouble with the program crashing. It seems to happen
somewhat randomly usually when loading a file and other random times. The Error is:

An exception error has occurred. You can continue to use the program, but should likely save your work and reboot program.
Invalid pointer operation.

I have turned in numerous debug reports including ones with the Microsoft debugger running. I have sent in files that did not load. I run many other programs including some other DAWS and none have given me any problem. Band-in-a-box also runs fine but I do not use that much.

I reinstalled the program. I ran in administrator mode as suggested by your technical support but that did not fix the problem and ended up crashing and corrupting the operating system so I don’t run it that way anymore.

Realband has always been a little bit buggy but was usable. This issue makes it unusable. It is currently not loading any files despite restarting the computer. It is going to be a pain if I have to change all the files I have created to another program.
Posted By: rharv Re: Realband bug - 01/20/20 11:17 PM
What version (still 2018)?
Is the latest update for that version installed?
(had to ask the above)

Have you tried starting a Chat with support? .. or emailed them
Random crashes are frustrating. But a lot of people use RB without these issues, so it may be worth the extra effort getting support
I can't think of any possible cause without more info.

Quote:
I ran in administrator mode as suggested by your technical support but that did not fix the problem and ended up crashing and corrupting the operating system so I don’t run it that way anymore.

This is kind of concerning; don't think I've ever heard that before. Makes me want ask what soundcard/interface do you use?
RB shouldn't crash/corrupt the OS .. driver issue jumped to mind for me if this happened, but that's just my first guess
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Realband bug - 01/21/20 06:23 PM
What Driver type are you using, in Options | Preferences. "Windows Audio" was added in 2018, so that is one difference compared with prior years. Maybe try MME and see if the same issue occurs. This may help narrow down what the bug is.

When you say that no songs are loading, how about the file Listen.SEQ from the RealBand\Samples folder - does this file load? (Reboot the program before testing). Screenshots would be helpful (you can attach screenshots by using the File Manager link. Does RealBand generate a crash report, or were you referring to Windows logs?
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Realband bug - 01/27/20 11:13 AM
I had the same problem with an earlier version. That's what drove me to stop using it.

But there are other users on the forum who have zero problems. You might ask JazzMammal about it. He's been very successful using it and he has a lot of experience with it.

2b
Posted By: silvertones Re: Realband bug - 01/27/20 02:06 PM
On the drivers page change to mme ALSO on the left change buffers from 400 to 2000. Faders will be slugish. Keep coming down until things start to crash.This was my issue. I always ran at 1000 when the added was drivers they changed the default from 2000 to 400 which crashes me. Give it a try.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Realband bug - 01/30/20 12:12 PM
Well come on man. Did you try this?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Realband bug - 02/23/20 04:28 PM
Looks like this yet another guy who posts no details but contributes to the myth that RB keeps crashing.

We need to stop posting what are really just guesses to somebody who gives us squat about his computer specs and software configuration. We can be polite, welcome them to the forum but no details, no answers.

Bob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Realband bug - 02/23/20 10:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Looks like this yet another guy who posts no details but contributes to the myth that RB keeps crashing.

We need to stop posting what are really just guesses to somebody who gives us squat about his computer specs and software configuration. We can be polite, welcome them to the forum but no details, no answers.

Bob

I'm sure something happened. Paul M has been a forum member since 2010 but this is only his second post. Obviously he doesn't write a post unless he thinks he needs to. I hope he'll return to finish addressing his issue.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Realband bug - 02/23/20 11:08 PM
I'm with Bob.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Realband bug - 02/24/20 07:26 AM
The only blue screen I ever got on Win7 was from the WAS driver, and what's ironic is I requested it to be implemented.
I think if you want to have no issues whatsoever at all with RealBand, is get this identical hardware/software:

Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

just not sure what mother of a board is best ? maybe I have a grandmother board ?

I think we've lost another one
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Realband bug - 02/24/20 11:25 PM
Yep, so far Bob is right. One post every ten years doesn't bode well for a return visit in the near future.

Hopefully Paul M resolved the issue so he doesn't have a need to return to the forum. If not, hopefully he'll return to the forum and provide the information we need to help him. If not, perhaps he will update this thread when he makes his next forum appearance in 2030.
© PG Music Forums