PG Music Home
Big time user of BB, but total novice at RB.

I'm trying to wean myself off my old Cakewalk DAW in XP (yes - XP).
In WIN1O I loaded an SGU in to RB, slow as thick syrup but it got there.
Then laid a guitar track in. One section is a little quiet (playing error). In the old GTPRO2 all I had to do was right click and 'split' that section, then select '+3db' for that section.Job done.
How do I do that in RB please.
Bests
Ian
I replicate this in RB with minor differences. Rather than split the track, highlight the area you want to affect.

1. Rt click on the track and from the drop down menu select: Audio Effects... \ Gain Change

2. There are presets for boosts and cuts or you can manually set the parameters
Posted By: Del Re: Increase volume in just one part of track? - 03/19/20 12:14 PM
Another way to get volume changes on a track is to use the "volume nodes". To see these, move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the track you are working on until the pointer turns into a double arrow.

Click on the bottom of the track and drag it down until a blue horizontal line is seen at the bottom of your track. On the left, click the drop down arrow and change from 'Gain Nodes' to 'Volume Nodes'.

Now you can click on the blue horizontal line to place volume nodes, drag the horizontal line up or down for that section of track you wish to change the volume of. I've been using these volume nodes for several years now and they work reliably to change the volume of a section of track.

I've also used the way Charlie mentioned and that works well also.
Posted By: rharv Re: Increase volume in just one part of track? - 03/19/20 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
.. all I had to do was right click and 'split' that section, then select '+3db' for that section.Job done.

In RB, as mentioned above, the closest workflow I know of is to simply highlight the section of that track
Then use Edit - Audio Effects - Gain change

Look at the presets (and pay attention to the check boxes and radio buttons)
This will hard write a volume change in one fell swoop .. or a fade in/out, depending on the button selections
I prefer Del's method using nodes.
Using Edit/Audio Effects/Gain Change bakes in the changes, nodes can be edited when you return to a project after a day or so and don't like what you did.

Vintage
Posted By: rharv Re: Increase volume in just one part of track? - 03/19/20 11:16 PM
Yep, there are lots of ways to do it.
I was just suggesting a method that is similar to the way he was comfortable doing this previously in another app.
be careful with the nodes. you need to do before and after nodes otherwise the program will simply change gradually to the new volume - that caught me out first time round.

click the first node at the place where you want the volume to change at the current set volume (if its 75 set the node at 75) then as soon after as practical set the new volume node and the volme will immediately bounce up. at the end when you want to reduce the volume do the same. add a node set at the higher volume then immediately after that a node returning to the original volume. if you don't do before and after nodes the program gradually slopes the voume like a continuous fade.
Originally Posted By: rharv
Yep, there are lots of ways to do it.
I was just suggesting a method that is similar to the way he was comfortable doing this previously in another app.

The same reason I only listed a single method.
Hi folks and thanks for all this great info.
Just one slight problem - my brand new Win10 drive just went 'phfutt'!
Back on Monday but will require yet another full install of BB/RB - as well as everything else.
Bests
Ian
© PG Music Forums