PG Music Home
TIA to anyone with any ideas.

RealBand 2016. Worked fine. Been editing all day. Same file. Has midi and audio.

Out of nowhere . . . nothing changed. Just working in RB. Only getting sound on left speaker. I did the usual stuff. Fresh boot. YouTube, both speakers work. Speaker settings/audio test, both work.

Get this . . . BIAB, both work fine. Closed BIAB, re-opened RB, no right speaker output.
It's been working fine all day. It's not something I did to a track, etc. I went to one audio track. Panned it far left, OK. Panned it right, nothing.
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 03/30/20 08:55 AM
OK, this is getting weird -
Someone else had this happen in last few days
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=588115#Post588115
Posted By: DrDan Re: No right output - just happened - 03/30/20 05:42 PM
OMG, that happened to me just the other day, no sound from Right speaker. After a lot of trouble shooting I looked behind the speaker and saw the input cable was disconnected. If it happened to me it could happen to you.
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 03/30/20 05:51 PM
Yeah, weird. The thing is, it's not the speakers. BIAB works fine, but not RB?!?

I'll try a fresh install, but based on what I've read, it's not going to help.
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 03/30/20 06:57 PM
FWIW I tried to escalated this issue best I could.
We'll see if it helps.
Try the Live Chat at top of screen; may be worth a shot .. if nothing else it could start a bug trail.
Chat appears open at the time of this post.
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 03/30/20 08:23 PM
FYI: Help desk . . . Online chat . . . nice lady answered, but useless (in a techie way). I got someone who said she's sales, and cannot help but said the forum posts have been forwarded to tech department and they're working on it. Apparently the on line chat is for people with sales issues.
Posted By: Jeff Yankauer Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 02:23 AM
What happens when you check the Mono checkbox in the Mixer? Is the mono output just coming out of the left speaker? When mono is unchecked, what happens when you move the master volume slider up/down in the mixer? Still just left speaker? What happens when you try another type of audio output driver like switching to an MME driver (if you're currently using Windows Audio, or ASIO) ?

Does it happen if, say, your start new .SEQ file project (as a simple test) or does just this only occur with one particular .SEQ file?

Thanks,
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 02:51 AM
Thanks for the good input, Jeff!!!!

The track I'm working on now, I rendered it to wave. Opened the wav in another program, and BOTH sides were output!!! I heard L&R. Opened that same wav in RB. No right output. So it IS outputting sound on both left and right. I just cannot hear the right while it's open in RB.

Keep in mind, I was working on a file. Stopped to eat. Came back and continued. But no right sound.

Mono checkbox in the Mixer: Tried it checked. Same thing.

Is the mono output just coming out of the left speaker? Yes. The output meter shows both L&R playing. But no right sound.

When mono is unchecked, what happens when you move the master volume slider up/down in the mixer? Same thing. Meter shows both playing, no sound in right.

What happens when you try another type of audio output driver like switching to an MME driver if you're using Windows Audio, or ASIO? I use MME. So tried Asio . . . I get no sound at all. Went back to MME. No right.

Does it happen if you start new project?: Yes. Just made one to see. Made a bass midi track, panned 0, no right.

Or just with one particular .SEQ file? No. I even imported a stereo MP3. Left only. Opened a file I made before. Same thing.

Meters in the tracks window show both L&R playing on tracks panned center. If I pan a midi or audio track left, monitor shows it's playing left. Pan it right, monitor shows it playing on right, but no sound. Same with the output monitor by the Master Volume slider.

Sliding the master volume slider back and forth just makes left quieter or louder, even though it shows both sides being output.
Posted By: silvertones Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 02:03 PM
I just tried my other computer that I just use to tweak songs with a set of headphones or speakers and I have stereo.
Posted By: Jeff Yankauer Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 04:30 PM
Have you tried erasing realband.ini and RB.cfg?

If that doesn't work, then maybe try a fresh install of RB after renaming your current RealBand folder to something else?
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 07:12 PM
Just to correct a typo, I think Jeff is suggesting you remove 'Realband.INI' and RB.cfg (his post left the last i off of the ini file extension)
// I hate losing an i!

These two files are located in your Realband folder.
Then restart Realband.
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 07:32 PM
Jeff, I didn't actually try renaming the files, etc. as suggested yet only because it was suggested in a previous post and the guy said he did that with no results. But I'll give it a try anyway so I can tell him . . . Hey, I tried it too and it didn't work for me either! LOL

Thanks for working this through, Jeff. I was told tech was working on it. Maybe that's you. Or maybe you're on it before they have a chance to get to it. Either way, thanks!

EDITED POST: Just tried it. Did not work.
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 08:12 PM
Try the other solution Jeff suggested. (renaming Realband folder, reinstalling etc)
Jeff is not a Tech, he is a developer. Can't go any further up the ladder than that.
<grin>
Need to step through the steps he suggests so he can narrow it down.
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 09:11 PM
Yup, I know who Jeff is. He didn't suggest a re-install. But I will try it.

Jeff, long story short, I no longer have the install disc, and the drive I saved it to died.

How can I get a copy without buying latest the new version upgrade?

I just need (I would think) the RB installs. BIAB is working fine.

I thought it would be in the main RB folder. I don't see any .exe that looks like an install or setup file.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Harpmeister

Jeff, long story short, I no longer have the install disc, and the drive I saved it to died.

How can I get a copy without buying latest the new version upgrade?

Is it available if you log on to your account at PG Music and select My Account > My Products?
There should be a download link.
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 10:28 PM
further info; In order to try VideoTrack's suggestion you need to leave the forums and go to
https://www.pgmusic.com/
Then log in to your PGMusic account at top right of the screen. These forums do not offer this type of account access, but the main site stores your purchases & available download history.

For a RB reinstall, you may need to run the whole BiaB reinstall executable file and pay attention to the available options during the install process (might be as simple as paying attention to the check boxes during the install process to reinstall only RB).

I think Jeff did suggest trying a reinstall earlier.
Quote:
..If that doesn't work, then maybe try a fresh install of RB after renaming your current RealBand folder to something else? ..
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 11:29 PM
UPDATE: I just finished doing a complete re-install . . .

Renamed BIAB and RealBand folders in case I need them again. Removed shortcuts.

DLd fresh copy from PG site.

Reboot . . . Install . . . reboot . . .

BIAB and PowerTracks work fine. RB . . . no sound in left speakers ! ! !

Somehow, some way, something in RB flipped a switch. It changes a parameter, or changed some default, or changed what ever it is that tells RB to play through both speakers, and only play through the left.

It seems like what ever that switch was . . . it's located somewhere outside of RB, and not affected by a re-install.

That switch needs to be turned back on. (or off) I use the word "switch" to mean anything a gremlin can control.

If I'm not the only person with the issue, it seems interesting that in the other guy's case, his right speaker is also the one that doesn't play.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: No right output - just happened - 03/31/20 11:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Harpmeister
TIA to anyone with any ideas.

RealBand 2016. Worked fine. Been editing all day. Same file. Has midi and audio.

Out of nowhere . . . nothing changed. Just working in RB. Only getting sound on left speaker. I did the usual stuff. Fresh boot. YouTube, both speakers work. Speaker settings/audio test, both work.

Get this . . . BIAB, both work fine. Closed BIAB, re-opened RB, no right speaker output.
It's been working fine all day. It's not something I did to a track, etc. I went to one audio track. Panned it far left, OK. Panned it right, nothing.

I checked a few files on my system and this problem never occurs so I can't test or replicate the issue. But, sometimes when something begins to get out of whack with RB on one of my projects, I have resolved the issue by selecting all tracks and consolidating all of the tracks. I didn't see that mentioned by anyone else and can't say if it will have any affect but it can do no harm to try it. Just a suggestion.

Edit\Track\Consolidate Audio Region...
Posted By: MountainSide Re: No right output - just happened - 04/01/20 06:40 AM
OK so Harpmeister has done a reconf, reinstall and still has this problem. Seems like it might not be RB. But, he never mentions which audio interface he's using. Could this be one of those MS Win issues? I know that after a few recent updates my audio on RB was out of whack. The solution for me was to reinstall my MOTU interface drivers.

Could this be it?

Just trying to help

Jeff
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 04/01/20 06:54 AM
In RB I'm using the MME, not Asio. I don't use Windows for midi options.

I don't have any synth, etc. connected to the system. And the same files work in BIAB, and PowerTrax. Even though I cannot hear the right track, the monitor in the mixer (and/or next to master volume slider) for output shows left and right being played. The monitors in each track show tracks being being played left and right.

When I open that rendered file in Windows Media Player, it works fine.

If I render my file in RB to wave, it plays fine in BIAB, PT, WMP, etc.

Part of the "strangeness" is that it's been working for 4 years, was working fine one minute, then it stopped working.
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: No right output - just happened - 04/01/20 08:21 AM
DonM in his latest thread update seems to have "fixed" it by doing a Windows Restore.
When I tried that I had no Restore points available, probably an oversight from me, so had to do a Windows recovery.

For future reference, it would be worth knowing what the cause is.

Vintage
I think there was a Windows 10 update at some point that messed up audio on some computers for some programs. I also think this was fixed in a subsequent update. My point being - can you check if there are any further Windows updates available for your system?

Also, if you open the Device manager and look under Sound Video and Game controllers, what do you see listed there.
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 04/03/20 07:25 PM
UPDATE . . . .

Well, it's a day and a half or two later, and haven't heard from anyone about the resolve. So . . .

For whatever reason, I just opened RB, opened a random file/song. Hit PLAY.

Both sides are now playing! Lefty and right. Tried some panning while tracks played.
No problem.

I cannot mark this thread as resolved because, IMHO, the problem has not been resolved.
No one can figure out what happened, nor I'm sure will they figure out how it fixed itself.

Overview of what happened.

Right speaker stopped playing even though volume monitors show output to left and right. There
was actually output. I rendered a file and played it in other software and there was music playing left and right. Just no sound was coming out of the right.

Verified that 1). Speakers were OK. 2). Tried some files in RB, then BIAB, then PT, all worked fine except RB no right. Tried the same files in other software. (Windows stuff, OK. Mixcraft, OK. WaveLAb, OK.

After the typical troubleshooting stuff (rebooting, etc.) AND doing a complete BIAB re-install, Then DLing BIAB FRESH off line, and again, re-installing everything, there was no change.

Today, 2 days later, it's working!?!?!?!?!

IDHAC!
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 04/03/20 07:39 PM
Most of us are pretty sure it was a Windows update that both caused and cured it.
See the first part of Andrew's post.
Apparently it only affected 'some' systems, but a later Windows update seems to have fixed it.

I'd still mark it as resolved.
It's fixed, and I'm pretty sure we know the cause and solution.

The other users with the same issue fixed it by either Restoring or Re-Installing Windows.
You waited long enough for another Windows update to fix it.
All signs point to Windows update ..

Posted By: VintageGibson Re: No right output - just happened - 04/04/20 05:08 PM
Harpmeister
Glad to hear you're up and running again, your symptoms were the same as mine.
Since the consensus is that this was caused by a Windows update can we assume that PGM will prevent future occurrences with a build update?

Vintage
Posted By: MarioD Re: No right output - just happened - 04/04/20 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
Harpmeister
Glad to hear you're up and running again, your symptoms were the same as mine.
Since the consensus is that this was caused by a Windows update can we assume that PGM will prevent future occurrences with a build update?

Vintage

I don't think PGM has any control over this. I have had my Roland Octa-Capture messed up with a Windows update and the driver comes from MS!
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 04/09/20 07:31 PM
Guess what? Worked for a few days, then a couple days ago it does the same thing. No right speaker again.
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 04/09/20 08:25 PM
Did another Windows update occur?
Most likely on Tuesday
Posted By: Harpmeister Re: No right output - just happened - 04/10/20 01:40 AM
I don't know if there was an update. But that means there were 3 updates within about a week, because one made it not work, the next one it worked again. Then the 3rd made it not work again.

There have been 100s of updates over thee years. Why all of a sudden do they prevent only ONE speaker from playing, and ONLY in RB, not BIAB or PT. Or any other software I use?

I could understand it, kinda, if an update killed a stereo function, and you only got mono. That could make sense. Both speakers would still work.

But what can you possibly do in ANY computer program to disable one speaker?
Posted By: rharv Re: No right output - just happened - 04/10/20 06:30 PM
I have no idea, I'm just reporting what others have observed that had the same symptoms.
It could be an update to the internal soundcard, and soundcard chip dependent.

It sure is a weird one.
© PG Music Forums