PG Music Home
USB midi shows up as an option in the MIDI Driver Setup dialog box. But when I select it I get the error message - The Input Device 'USB Midi' is not installed on your system. The USB midi works fine for other programs such as Band in a Box and Musescore. I have the same problem on two computers - one with Windows 7 and the other with Windows 10. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
It is not being recognized.
I get this error if I do not turn the MIDI device on before launching RB.
Thanks. I had the keyboard connected and on. I got it to work by changing the audio driver to 'windows driver'.
But the problem keeps coming back if I click on the midi button on the top right. I have to reset everything back to the default settings. Strange.
If the MIDI device is a keyboard, some keyboards have a switch for setting the keyboard USB port to be used as MIDI or a computer connection (file transfers) .. if this is the case, is the keyboard set to MIDI mode?
Your audio driver should not affect MIDI.
Yea I would suspect that as well. The midi driver list should have something that references the keyboard.Mine lists the keyboard.
RealBand on my Windows 10 machine is the only DAW that struggles to find the MIDI input. I see this problem dating back to 2009 in the forums and both my RealBand 2016 and 2021 behave this way!

This is the sequence I use to make it work:

1. While in RealBand, set up your audio, I use ASIO Drivers on a FocusRite USB Scarlett interface
2. Goto Menu -> Options -> Reset to default settings. Press Yes in dialog to reboot the program with factory settings
3. Now you will get the infamous The Input Device 'usb midi' is not installed on your system. Just press OK
4. Now you can get dialogs for:
a) Midi Driver Setup to pick input and output
b) Select Folders for files just tick the Don't show this dialog again and press OK
C) ASIO Audio Drivers just pick your interface.
5. If you did not get a dialog for ASIO Audio Drivers, make sure your audio is set up right again; the program tends to change things
6. Now on my machine, each time I run the program, I have to go through the dialogs for ASIO Driver Setup and MIDI Driver Setup
7. Use your MIDI monitor to check for input
8. Don't even think about changing MIDI now from the MIDI Devices icon!
9. If you screwed up, try the Reset to default settings again and start over, try different combos if needed

Hope this helps. Keep practicing . . .
Thanks very much - I was having the same problem and would never have figured out going through these steps.
You shouldn't need to.
I have to reset things IF I start RB before booting up the interface or keyboard. This is not RBs fault; the system simply can't see them so it looks for anything it can use.
As long as the MIDI device and audio device are powered up first, RB does not cause this song/dance here.
Yes, I agree with Rharv. I have 5 MIDI synths all running through a MIDI patch bay. As long as my computer, patch bay, interface and synths are all powered up before I start RB, I can freely assign different synths to different tracks with no problems.

But, if I start up RB before the other gear all bets are off. RB will be groping in the dark trying to figure it all out. It needs to know what you got before you can use what you got.

Jeff
same as rharv and mountainside. if the keyboard is not plugged in and switched on before i start RB it doesn't get 'discovered'.

same with my usb audio interface
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
same as rharv and mountainside. if the keyboard is not plugged in and switched on before i start RB it doesn't get 'discovered'.

same here
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver

same here

Same here.

I believe that is true of all DAWs.
© PG Music Forums