PG Music Home
when i load a specific vst synth for a midi track, sforzando loads fine and uses output s2 in the mixer and i can hear the sforzando instrument.

when i load the BBC Symphony Orchestra from spitfire, the output changes to s3 and although the meter shows an output i can't hear the instrument.

what am i doing wrong? i added the BBCSO plugin to the synths available - all the others were there by default. the port is 19 whereas sforzando is port 18.
What do you mean by s2 and s3?

Can you post screenshot?
I think the shot uploaded its the box at the very bottom of the mixer columns.

its showing s1 which plays through the edirol hypercanvas. switching to sforzando gives me s2 which plays but the BBCSO switches the output to s3 which is silent. obviously s3 is going somewhere because the mixer meters show output. i just can't hear it. how do i route s3 to the same place s1 and s2 go?

Attached File
RB Mixer screenshot.jpg  (11 downloads)
According to the manual those signify the instrument

"MIDI tracks show an output port with an “M” prefix for a MIDI port or an “S” for a software synthesizer. They have controls for volume, pan, reverb, chorus, modulation, and expression plus a VU meter, a MIDI patch selection box, and a mute/unmute button. "

That's just showing it is softsynth number 3 ..

Why you don't hear it appears to be a separate issue
Is the MIDI data on that track on a channel that is assigned in the synth?

In other words, if the MIDI is on channel 6, does the synth have a sound assigned to channel 6?
thanks rharv i will delve into the BBCSO settings tomorrow. i always thought that the meter activity on the mixer showed an audio output (even for a midi channel) but i presume from what you are saying, that the output shown on the mixer channel 'ladders' is midi information/signal being output but not going correctly to the BBCSO soft synth in such a way that the BBCSO turns that into a sound. does that sound right?

sforzando just works and the edirol hypercanvas does too so there must be a setting i am missing somewhere on the BBCSO
Well, I have some softsynths that, inside the synth itself, have a setting to send the actual audio output to different available audio ports also.

Your system doesn't appear to have that from the screenshot, but that could be deceiving in that you don't have it set up to show those other outputs.
I was trying to start at the beginning of the chain. (check basics first)

Since your mixer screenshot shows the extra outputs in the lower right to be G2, G3 etc, you have it set to use those extra outputs as subGroups. I have them as A1 - 16 (meaning they are not subGroups that get mixed to the main out, but rather separate audio output paths .. example, if I want to send the click track to only one set of headphones for a given song/performance).

There are quite a few things that can cause you not to hear it, but that 's3' in the mixer is (most likely) not the issue.
Maybe others here that use PGProducts and have that same synth can help more.
I'm just guessing from the available clues, which is why screenshots are so helpful most times.
ok - user error! the problem was that i was using a piccolo as the instrument i wanted to replace the GM flute. when i tried other instruments they sounded. so thinking about it, i transposed the midi up an octave and the piccolo sounded.

obviously there are no piccolo samples at that low a pitch. thanks rharv - you set me on the right track

had to be something simple and it was although some of you might think it's me that's simple..............
© PG Music Forums