PG Music Home
Posted By: Funkifized Import MIDI file melody - 06/21/20 09:08 PM
So, I;m entering notes for my piano students' examples. I use Finale for this. With dynamics, articulations, and tempo modifications entered, the Finale playback sounds quite lifelike. Crescendos, tremeloes, slurs, etc., are all played back quite accurately.

Since note step-entry in BIAB is horrible, and offers no attention to dynamics, I'd like to import the piano part as a .mid file, bringing in articulations, dynamics, and tempo alterations to help shape humanize the playback. I'd also like this extraneous performance information to affect how the backing ensemble accompanies the melody.

Is that too much to assume? What about if I imported the Finale track as an audio file? Will the dynamics, tempo alterations, articulations,etc., come across to the backing instrumentation?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Import MIDI file melody - 06/22/20 02:00 AM
Hi,

If you import the MIDI file into BIAB or Realband, all the performance detail that you've included in it should come along with the file and play accordingly. (It may be necessary to set and option in Finale that ensures that all data a recorded in the saving process.)

If you render the file to Audio in Finale, all the performance information will be part of the audio and should have controlled the computer's playing of the audio as it was being made and recorded. So, again you should have an audio file that plays with performance instructions.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Funkifized Re: Import MIDI file melody - 06/24/20 11:41 PM
Since note step-entry in BIAB is horrible, and offers no attention to dynamics, I'd like to import the piano part as a .mid file, bringing in articulations, dynamics, and tempo alterations to help shape humanize the playback. I'd also like this extraneous performance information to affect how the BIAB-created backing ensemble accompanies the melody.
Posted By: rharv Re: Import MIDI file melody - 06/25/20 06:59 PM
Import the MIDI
set tempo to match original song
If the tempo wanders too much use ACW to adjust the tempo map to match the performance.
You can use the same trick for an audio file ..

Once a tempo map is set the generated tracks will follow it .. if that helps

Your dynamics will likely not affect the generated parts at all.
Posted By: jazzi Re: Import MIDI file melody - 11/12/20 04:56 PM
If it's not too much to ask, can you go over the process of adjusting the tempo map? I imported a midi made in Finale, and even though I set the tempo to match, synching isn't working.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: rharv
Import the MIDI
set tempo to match original song
If the tempo wanders too much use ACW to adjust the tempo map to match the performance.
You can use the same trick for an audio file ..

Once a tempo map is set the generated tracks will follow it .. if that helps

Your dynamics will likely not affect the generated parts at all.
Posted By: rharv Re: Import MIDI file melody - 11/12/20 08:37 PM
What do you mean by 'Synching isn't working'?
What are you trying to do, and what isn't working (need details).

Do you have multiple sound sources in play?
Posted By: jazzi Re: Import MIDI file melody - 11/13/20 02:42 PM
I'm sorry, I should have explained better. I have a single track midi (melody) created by exporting a single stave Finale file to midi. I have set the tempo in the Finale file to 105 4/4 time. I set BIAB to 105 tempo, 4/4 time. When the midi plays with the style file (Realtracks Medium Swing Pollwinners), it quickly moves ahead of it after a couple of bars.

After I posted this, I adjusted the tempo marking in Finale to add Swing to the tempo. I thought at first this would fix it - but it still does not synch perfectly when I re-exported and imported into BIAB.

Originally Posted By: rharv
What do you mean by 'Synching isn't working'?
What are you trying to do, and what isn't working (need details).

Do you have multiple sound sources in play?

Posted By: rharv Re: Import MIDI file melody - 11/14/20 10:06 AM
Can you post a link to the MIDI file from Finale for others to test? (using dropbox or such)
Does it line up with the bars in the Piano Roll or Event List?
© PG Music Forums