PG Music Home
Posted By: TheMaartian Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/03/20 02:40 PM
I tried using the forum's search function. No further comment on that failure.

Questions

Is it possible to uninstall just RealBand?

Or to install BiaB without installing RB?

Any issues with updates during the year?

I have NEVER used RB. I was using Studio One before I found BiaB, and still use it. I would like to recover the disk space used by RB.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/03/20 03:16 PM
Quote:
Is it possible to uninstall just RealBand?

It is fine to just delete the RealBand folder.

Quote:
Or to install BiaB without installing RB?

When you install Band-in-a-Box, you can uncheck 'RealBand' in the component list.

Quote:
Any issues with updates during the year?

RealBand and Band-in-a-Box each have their own separate patch installers.

For the forum search, make sure you use the forum search (next to FAQ in the forum menu bar, or in right side bar if enabled), and not the "site search" in the top site header. The site search is a 'google search' of the entire website so that doesn't work well for the forums.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/03/20 05:51 PM
Thanks. Thanks. Thanks. And thanks, Andrew!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/09/20 11:01 AM
One thought. While I use Studio one and Logic now for almost every project I still pop open RB on occasion to use it to do certain tasks. I find it is a nice tool to have in the tool box. Just a thought.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/09/20 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
One thought. While I use Studio one and Logic now for almost every project I still pop open RB on occasion to use it to do certain tasks. I find it is a nice tool to have in the tool box. Just a thought.

I agree. There are some things it can do that no other DAW can do (like re-generate Realtracks a bar at a time), and as it's very small I tend to just leave it alone for the odd time I need it.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/10/20 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

I agree. There are some things it can do that no other DAW can do (like re-generate Realtracks a bar at a time), and as it's very small I tend to just leave it alone for the odd time I need it.

I must be confused about something. I thought the BiaB VST plugin supported re-gens at the bar level.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/10/20 02:50 PM
I keep RB and use it to preview MIDI files that people send me or I find roaming the internet. It is quick and easy for me to do that. Besides the integration with BIAB which makes it best for that. I use Sonar (well Cakewalk now) and Cubase as well. Just depends on what I am doing. I think it only takes up a few hundred MB which doesn't seem like a lot nowadays. Of course I remember my first 20 MB hard drive so ...
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/12/20 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: TheMaartian

I must be confused about something. I thought the BiaB VST plugin supported re-gens at the bar level.

You can generate sections of the chordsheet in the plugin, but it discards the previously generated audio so you'll only get the bars you selected.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/13/20 10:14 AM
imho though i love reaper, realband has some neat tricks up its sleeve no other daw software has.
would be perfect for me with the option of turning off waveform redraw so i can work faster, as well as flac recording
(like reaper). when i want quickie rough ideas down.
and dont wanna blow a huge bunch of disk space.

people too easily dismiss RB imho.
got some really neat features.
midi to name one.
PEOPLE get into the grrreat pg videos for RB.

the KEY IS SET UP YOUR AUDIO INTERFACE PROPERLY
AND DONT USE ON BOARD SOUND> GET A PROPER PRO AUDIO INTERFACE !

best.
muso.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/13/20 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
imho though i love reaper, realband has some neat tricks up its sleeve no other daw software has.
would be perfect for me with the option of turning off waveform redraw so i can work faster, as well as flac recording
(like reaper). when i want quickie rough ideas down.
and dont wanna blow a huge bunch of disk space.

people too easily dismiss RB imho.
got some really neat features.
midi to name one.
PEOPLE get into the grrreat pg videos for RB.

the KEY IS SET UP YOUR AUDIO INTERFACE PROPERLY
AND DONT USE ON BOARD SOUND> GET A PROPER PRO AUDIO INTERFACE !

best.
muso.

I agree, I think a proper audio interface is a must for doing any decent audio work, although if you're not recording anything in you can get away with built-in sound just fine usually.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Uninstalling just RealBand - 11/24/20 05:31 PM

I agree, I think a proper audio interface is a must for doing any decent audio work.

Amen. Spend a couple of hundred bucks and get a really good interface.

ON topic, are you so strapped for hard drive space that the 4.5gb that Real Band takes is a problem?
© PG Music Forums