PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/04/20 06:54 PM
I was excited at the prospect of being able to use all the 64 bit plugins that got installed with my 32 bit plugs through the years... but in RB 2021, every time I try to add a new x64 plugin I get the message "not a valid plugin" or I get no message, but the plugin is not loaded.

There are many I want to use, but at the moment if I could get KONTAKT to load I'd be happy. (It loads in RB 2020 32 bit, but not in RB 2021)

I just re-downloaded Kontakt and installed it so it should be the most recent version I bought years ago.

Process of elimination: has anybody else managed to load Kontakt into RB 2021? If so, then maybe the problem is in my installation or version of kontakt.

But it still doesn't explain why I can't get ANY 64 bit plugs to load.

Any ideas?
Posted By: rharv Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/04/20 07:04 PM
I believe jford was testing with Kontakt, hopefully he pops in
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/04/20 07:07 PM
i spent a couple hours trying to get Kontakt to work with RB.
It mostly ended in a non-optimal user experience.

Its close enough to cocktail time that I will leave it for another day
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/04/20 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
i spent a couple hours trying to get Kontakt to work with RB.
It mostly ended in a non-optimal user experience.

Its close enough to cocktail time that I will leave it for another day

if you got it to load at all, you're doing better than I did.

Also I was hoping my paid version of Amplitube would work. No go. VERY disappointing!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 12:17 AM
as a follow-up to this thread:
I just installed BIAB on a second computer. There are different 64 bit plugs on this computer, and some of them do load into RB. But not SampleTank, Amplitube or Kontakt.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 12:20 PM
Pat,
I got it to make some noise on a midi track.
It sounded like some sort of industrial music instrument NI is famous for.
I immediately time travelled to SNL with Dieter and "SProkett".
Unfortunately, the Kontakt patch I was loading was the Grander (Grand Piano)

So I made a cocktail instead. Then another.

Think I'll stand by until others more skilled report back.

Geeze
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I believe jford was testing with Kontakt, hopefully he pops in

John bought Session Horns the same time I did. If he's able to get it working, then I have some obstacles to overcome. On the other hand, if he has upgraded session horns (I haven't) maybe its something to do with the age of the library
Posted By: rharv Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 03:19 PM
There's another post in this forum on using Kontakt in RB titled 'Just for Info'.
A little hard to decipher, but it looks like he also had success with Kontakt in RB.
Posted By: rodipoet Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 06:17 PM
No problems here with KOntakt 6 in RB2021
Posted By: Gause Zdenek Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 07:21 PM
I apologize for English, I have no talent for it and I use Google translator. I downloaded the Kontakt from the C: \ Program Files \ Vstplugins folder namely the file Kontakt.dll (6.2.2020 17:17). I couldn't load play_VST_x64.dll - Voices of Soul from EASTWEST from the same folder for VST, which doesn't run under Kontakt, but has its own sub_application.
Posted By: rharv Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 09:04 PM
I understand, and appreciate your input and help with this.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 09:50 PM
Pat

I know this won't help you but Sampletank 4, AmpliTube 4 and Kontakt 6 ALL load and run in my 64-bit RB2021

Do you have any additional info that might help us help you

Good luck

Larry
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Gause Zdenek
I apologize for English, I have no talent for it and I use Google translator. I downloaded the Kontakt from the C: \ Program Files \ Vstplugins folder namely the file Kontakt.dll (6.2.2020 17:17). I couldn't load play_VST_x64.dll - Voices of Soul from EASTWEST from the same folder for VST, which doesn't run under Kontakt, but has its own sub_application.

thanks for weighing in. Maybe I've been trying to load the wrong file. I'm pretty sure that in every case part of the file name was "x64"
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 10:52 PM
You might be right - Amplitube 4 and SampleTank 4 are ONLY 64 bit thus the VST and VSTi respectively don't really require the "x64" nomenclature because it is redundant (i.e., "AmpliTube 4.dll" and "SampleTank 4.dll") and Kontakt 6 is just "Kontakt.dll"

Another FYI if you install PEDeconstructor, it puts itself on your context menu and can right-click on any .dll or .exe and determine if they are 32- or 64-bit word length and other useful info at a quick glance

Larry
Posted By: jford Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/05/20 10:56 PM
Just now seeing this. I'll test and report back.
Posted By: jford Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 12:22 AM
So, I just launched RB 64-bit 2021, and loaded Kontakt 6 with Session Horns Pro. The VSTi loaded fine. I set Session Horns to use Smart Chord (single note chords) and to use the Animator (to generate various riffs).

I recorded some MIDI, and it played back just fine.

Unfortunately, when I went to render it to audio, I just got a blank track, so that is of concern. I'll report that as a problem after I play with it some more (as the machine I'm on has been giving me some trouble lately; just ordered a new laptop, but it'll be a couple of weeks before it gets here...I'll also try on another machine).

But, the 64-bit bit plugin definitely loaded and played back what I recorded.
Posted By: jford Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 12:26 AM
Update: I went back and re-rendered the tracks to an audio track and this time it worked. I guess it just took awhile (perhaps the machine was busy with something else). But it definitely worked and sounded great.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 01:08 AM
Thanks John (and everybody else who has been adding clues)

On one of my computers I finally got Kontakt and Aria players to load, after more downloading and updating. Now, moving on to the other computer.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 04:47 PM
Pat,

I read in another forum that there are three Kontakt plugins, each with a different number of audio outputs. The idea is some computers or programs don't work well with the default plugin so the two other plugins require less cpu power.

If the default dll isn't working for you try the one that has the number 8 (least cpu power) or the number 16 (less cpu power than the default) in the dll label.
Posted By: MarioD Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Pat,

I read in another forum that there are three Kontakt plugins, each with a different number of audio outputs. The idea is some computers or programs don't work well with the default plugin so the two other plugins require less cpu power.

If the default dll isn't working for you try the one that has the number 8 (least cpu power) or the number 16 (less cpu power than the default) in the dll label.

That is true for Kontakt 5 and below but from Kontakt 6 and on it will only show up as Kontakt.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 11:48 PM
I finally got Kontakt to load on both computers. I think part of the problem is that when you install plugins, each company has their own idea about where they should be stored. So there are files with similar sounding names scattered all over the place. To make matters worse, in my own little pack-rat way, I have a habit of trying to move/copy plugins to a central location. Buuuut..this apparently messes with the authorization scheme.

I think I was trying to load a copy of Kontakt that had been copied/pasted to a new location and therefore had a broken authorization. After reinstalling and paying attention to where the newly authorized plugin was saved, it loaded as expected.

On the second computer, I didn't even reinstall.. I just used the location where the newly installed file was saved. It was just a matter of finding the right file.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I was told that with age would come wisdom. I feel cheated. ;-)
Posted By: jford Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/06/20 11:52 PM
Pat, in Native Instruments Access (the program that downloads and installs your Kontact libraries), the settings page lets you specify where to install both the 32- and 64-bit plugins. I have mine set to my common location, but in an NI subfolder.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: RB 2021 not loading my x64 plugins - 12/07/20 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
Pat, in Native Instruments Access (the program that downloads and installs your Kontact libraries), the settings page lets you specify where to install both the 32- and 64-bit plugins. I have mine set to my common location, but in an NI subfolder.

You are absolutely right. And far more organized than I am. I tend to do it wrong at installation (when it matters) then try later to fix it.

1) Not all of my workarounds work.
2) failed workarounds are cumulative
3) I'm old enough to have a mess on my hands
© PG Music Forums