PG Music Home
Realband Newbie here...

I have a Focusrite 2i2 Gen 3 witha icrophone one one input.

I have a Band ina Box song loaded in Realband.

I press Record Audio. It starts, has a metronome and plays the song and I do record.
I keep the take.

The I play this back and the audio is not quite on time. I think the audio is late. It looks that way on the tracks waveform.

I assume it is some latency, possibly in the BIAB audio out from Realband to speakers during record or input from the mic to Realband.

I think I have the same issue when recording in BIAB directly.

How do I fix/get around this?

This Realband from BIAB 2020

Description: Trombone recorded on track 12
Attached picture Timing capture1.JPG
latency (lag of recorded sound to the RB backing tracks) is usually a problem caused by the drivers. your focusrite should come with its own ASIO drivers which should cure the problem. choose the driver for input and output.

what audio drivers are you using at the moment?
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
latency (lag of recorded sound to the RB backing tracks) is usually a problem caused by the drivers. your focusrite should come with its own ASIO drivers which should cure the problem. choose the driver for input and output.

what audio drivers are you using at the moment?

True. I note that BIAB uses WAS always.(I reckon it has similar latencies to Realband).

Realband uses Windows default (MME only)

But I use the Focusrite for mic input only and computer headphone out to amplifier/speakers.
change the driver then - MME will always give latency problems - WAS is usually ok but the dedicated ASIO drivers for your interface will be the best solution
change the driver then - MME will always give latency problems - WAS is usually ok but the dedicated ASIO drivers for your interface will be the best solution

I am a bit weary of ASIO drivers as I had a heap of trouble. I will look into i.t

Just read in the The RealBand user manual that it supports the newer
"Windows Audio Session (WASAPI) audio driver" which has almost zero latency.

Is that the same as WAS ?

?
yes it is but as long as you rely on MME you will get latency. i seem to remember yuo were using ASIO4ALL which is not as reliable as proper ASIO drivers.
look at the forum for recording and mixing, in response to a post i put on about your interface, matt finlay has advised that genuine ASIO drivers are available for your interface.

MME will always cause lag and ASIO4ALL has its own problems. If you have difficulty downloading the real ASIO drivers, I suggest you post in the thread on recording and mixing that has your interface in the title
I am having the same problem with a USB microphone. Should I start a new thread or join in the debate here?
Which driver are you using? Mme will always cause lag. WAS is ok but ASIO drivers are the best.

Berntd seems to have given up but if we can help you just ask but we need to know the kit you are using, current driver and what you are tring to do.
I haven’t had latency for years now. As Bob said it is simple if you use the proper driver. I remember back a few years when asio4all was the rage. That was because so many people were using interfaces with either no native ASIO drivers or using a mixer or such. Asio4all is just a wrapper that makes mme drivers act like ASIO. Once I downloaded a native ASIO driver for my interface I eliminated my latency.
I think I'm using MME. I have an audio technica 2020USB. I am trying to record sax over the top but everything I record I have to adjust after. I didn't notice this with audacity
Hi

Yes well Audacity does not support Asio drivers anyway so when using you interface whith Audacity MME is fine .
But for band in a box a dedicated Asio driver is really needed.

Mike
i looked up your mic and the only instructions i can find are for windows XP and Vista and no mention of ASIO or special drivers.

swap the driver to WAS and see what happens
If using MME or Windows Audio like I do, click on Preferences and go to the Audio tab. Toward the bottom of that page you will see 'Recording Offset MS (MME/Windows Audio)' Enter a number into the box. I use an entry of 25 which takes care of 25 milliseconds of recording delay. Try this and see if it takes care of the delay, if it isn't enough, try 35 or 40 milliseconds until you find the right number.

I use an old Behringer mixer with USB output and have used MME or Windows Audio as a driver within Realband since 2008 with no problems after correcting the delay. I tried the ASIO driver that Behringer provided but had trouble with it so went back to Windows audio.
funnily enough i found i did not need to use an offset with WAS and the way i play i'm not sure i'd notice 25 thousandths of a second whereas the lag with MME is very pronounced

i used to use WAS with my soundblaster audigy internal soundcard with no trouble but i use ASIO with my behringer audio interface
OK, I'll try these things
ok it says I didn't select an asio driver so selects windows audio
The offset seems to work at about 97

...Berntd seems to have given up...

Say what now? Berntd giving up?
Originally Posted By: Del
If using MME or Windows Audio like I do, click on Preferences and go to the Audio tab. Toward the bottom of that page you will see 'Recording Offset MS (MME/Windows Audio)' Enter a number into the box.

That is very good info. I will look into that.

I have since also got the ASIO driver for the Focusrite installed. I am still experimenting.

Realband seems to crash quite a lot.
sorry berntd but didn't hear back from you after referring you to Matt's post in the other thread as to how to get the dedicated ASIO drivers for yuor unit. now you have the proper asio drivers they should work fine. i think last time you were using ASIO4ALL which is just a wrapper for MME and sometimes problematic.
Bob, ASIO4All was the driver I had tried using. I don't recall the exact problems I had but I ended up ditching it.
I'm not surprised ASIO4ALL gave you problems Del. It's not a real ASIO driver, apparently it's just a wrapper for MME designed for application that don't have a dedicated ASIO driver. On some it works but on otehrs it gives problems.

before i started using my behringer interface i used a creative soundblaster audigy ZS Platinum internal soundcard.

MME always gives lag when you try to record but WAS is a newer microsoft driver that is designed to act like ASIO with zero (or as good as) latency.

it worked perfectly with the internal soundcard for playback and recording whereas MME was fine for playback only. in fact i preferred WAS to the soundblaster ASIO driver which was a bit flaky. i never had to set any offsets or delays.
Glad you got it synced up Stonker. Once you have this set, you shouldn't have any problem with your recorded audio syncing to Realband audio.

Bob, thanks for the info on ASIO4all.
Thanks. I do have another issue now. The windows audio I can output to my laptop speakers, my monitors, or my headphones (plugged into the mic). However, although this all changes the output for youtube etc, realband is now only outputting to my headphones however I set windows. Any ideas why?

BIAB works correctly
Actually: I can change the realband output if I stop it playing and then do it. Oddly though it changes but not to what I selected to realband is outputting to a different device to everything else
Stonker,

You'll get more view and responses if you begin a new post. The issues you are experiencing is different from the original heading of this post.
OK, I'll do that. I thought it would be an easy answer. Thanks
© PG Music Forums