PG Music Home
all.
ive noticed over the years on pg some people seem to have sound devices that work fine with rb. others sometimes have issues.
various daw and other recording sites keep lists of sound devices that work well with different daws // music software.
thus i was thinking it might help if rb users posted "their"
asio sound interfaces/devices that work well with rb.
as i havent seen such a thread here.
please contribute, as it might help new users.
I have a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 that comes with its own ASIO and works fine with everything I have trown at it so far.

Among those Band in a Box, Real Band, Reason, Audacity, MuseScore3, Cakewalk, midig, various Media and Videoplayers and stand alone Versions of VST Hosts (Spitfire, UVIWorkstation, Sine Player,Kontakt Player, Guitar Rig 5 and Plogue Sforzando.

With Komplete Audi0 6 there are often bundled some VST Instruments from the Komplete Suite along with Stand alone Players to run them.
My Motu M2 works great with Realband.

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/
I use the Roland Octa-Capture with both BiaB and RB.
Hi

I use an Akai EIE PRO usb Audio interface and its own dedicated ASIO drivers. Version 2964
This works fine for BIAB, RB and Cakewalk.

By the way Audacity does not support ASIO unless you can get hold of a recompiled copy on the net.
Mike

Attached picture eie-pro-front-large.png
Attached picture eie-pro-reary.jpg
TASCAM US 20x20. Has plenty of inputs and outputs and works great with all my software, RB and BIAB included.

my Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD USB Audio Interface works perfectly with RB - I never record in BIAB - ad there is a dedicated ASIO driver
Focusrite scarlett here, various models on different machines
Behringer Uphoria UMC404HD. It has its own ASIO drivers.

Attached picture J22807000000000-00-500x500.jpg
Attached picture J22807000000000-01-500x500.jpg
I run a MOTU 828Mk3 with a dedicated MOTU ASIO driver. By the way, the MOTU ASIO is multi-client...can run multiple applications at the same time i.e. BIAB and RB / Cakewalk.

I have another ASIO driver direct from Steinberg that I just updated to their September 2020 release...definitely not multi-client.

Jeff
Focusrite 18i20 (2)
Focusrite 2i2 (1)

Coincidence, the number in parenthesis is both the quantity and the version/build smile

Both work fine in RB/PT here so far.
this is good info for new users.
perhaps people could also report their latency figures as reported in their daw software. eg in reaper top right hand side. and rtl (round trip) if you have it available.
i'm still testing it, but i'm getting 4/5ms reported for new audient evo. could get less.
loved that akai pic.
I use a Presonus Audiobox 18/18 I have had it for several years now. It uses it own native ASIO driver. I have used it on both a PC and Mac. One huge advantage it has that I like comes with a simple version of studio one. Which Presonus makes. One thing I love about studio one is that it is cross platform and you don’t have to buy the Mac version if you have the PC version. They are available on your product page, and they are identical on both platforms.
All RME stuff i have and had worked flawlessly ..
fiddler/all.
wish i could afford rme. great rep//drivers.
no esi users here either. apparently very good interfaces
ive heard.
THIS INTERFACE FROM BLACK LION LOOKS VERY INTERESTING.
https://www.blacklionaudio.com/store/interfaces/revolution2x2/

i dont see many interfaces with multi client drivers ?

does anyone have any experiences with usb mixers ?
eg soundcraft notepad 12 fx (good rep/preamps i understand.),
yamaha mg series ? (with dpres.) , presonus ?
other brands ?

Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
I use a Presonus Audiobox 18/18 I have had it for several years now. It uses it own native ASIO driver. I have used it on both a PC and Mac. One huge advantage it has that I like comes with a simple version of studio one. Which Presonus makes. One thing I love about studio one is that it is cross platform and you don’t have to buy the Mac version if you have the PC version. They are available on your product page, and they are identical on both platforms.

I had been successfully using a PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL with all of my audio software for years. This week, I replaced it with a PreSonus Studio 1810c. Love it so far. I upgraded for several reasons, but I'll point out the two independent headphone amps with separate volume controls and separate mixes. They're going to get heavy use by my niece and I making our YT channel video voice-overs. EDIT: I'll also add that the Line Outs are DC coupled, so you can use them to send control voltages to external devices.

@ TheMaartian I am also interested in upgrading soon to a newer Presonus. I also have a Presonus faderport 8, and I love how it works with all my software. Both on PC and Mac. Both with studio one and Logic X. It is so simple to switch between those two software protocols. Literally 5 seconds. I’m sold on Presonus products especially since they have so much to offer from interfaces, control surfaces, consoles, and very rich software.
I second the suggestions for MOTU and RME - I have a Fireface 800, MOTU Traveler, and MOTU 828MK3 that all work very well. Drivers for all of them are very stable.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
does anyone have any experiences with usb mixers ?
eg soundcraft notepad 12 fx (good rep/preamps i understand.),
yamaha mg series ? (with dpres.) , presonus ?
other brands ?

I've used a bunch. Most of the time the drivers are terrible or are generic - the Behringer mixers ship with ASIO4All as their "official" driver! Mackie and Yamaha were a bit better. I've got a Mackie Onyx 1640 with the Firewire interface that I'm rebuilding the power supply on, but iirc the drivers for that were much better.

The downside with USB mixers is that most of the USB mixers only have 2-in 2-out through USB even if you have a 16 or 24 channel board. Worse - one Mackie mixer was 2-in 4-out, but the two main outs were routed in such a way that they fed back to the inputs, so you couldn't actually record while having any audio output from output 1-2, and outputs 3-4 could only go to headphones! Terrible design if you ask me.
FocusRite Scarlett Solo, FocusRite 4i4, and Behringer UMC404HD all work well.
ALL RB/BB/PG USERS.
this is a letter ive wanted to send to audio interface manufacturers for awhile.
see if the SPECS make sense, and feel free to add your own specs.

NOTE, its meant for the under 200 buck market/project studios/lone songwriters/small groups. its not meant for large orchestral recording sessions in big studios.

THE LETTER. as follows.
i feel a big under 200 dollars market segment is being missed by manufacturers to sell to computer based project studios.
so heres an idea for a new usb audio interface which can also be used standalone. and will also replace a usb audio mixer.
1. PRODUCT CONCEPT.
Think a slimmed down version of a usb mixer. basically without all the knobs and connectors etc etc.
where everything is done in software. and it can be optionally a 19 inch rackmount or not.
and can be used standalone or with mac or pc or even raspberry pi !, or ios or android or fire tablet.
also an ultra low round trip latency recording/playback device.
preferebly less than 2ms latency via custom engineering/custom multi client asio drivers .
(instead of useing generic drivers.)
and thus finally slaying the bane of all musicians, LATENCY.
1.1 Physical connectors.
*4 mic pre xlr combo for mic/line. plus seperate 4 direct out//send/return multifunctional connector.
ie can be used for outboard send/return and/or direct out after mic pre.
*mic pres can also handle guitars like a di box.(via software switch. mic or line or guitar di.).
*2 sets of output left/right stereo connectors for hooking up 2 sets of powered monitors.
(with a software switch for mono checks.)
*4 sets of headphone stereo sockets THAT ARE POWERFULL, (some are not powerfull !)
and can take a range of can impedences. so one doesnt have to buy seperate headphone amps.
(for ultra low latency record monitoring/playback. also a software switch for mono checks.)
*usb connector. unit powered by usb. BUT ALSO CAN BE POWERED BY standalone usb power brick whereby the unit is just used as 4 mic pres by themselves. via direct outs. eg in those cases where a computer isnt used. ie just useing the 4 mic pres.
*optionally a thunderbolt connector.
*the usb is used for simultaneous recording of the 4 pre inputs to 4 seperate daw recording traks and playback of mix all in sync. IE CAN RECORD 4 TRAKS AT A TIME UP TO 24 bit/96 K. optionally a stereo mix.
( i personally only ever use 24 bit / 44.1, but other users i know want higher rates.)
1.2 mic pre specs.
*variable input impedence (set in software) to handle certain types of dynamic mics.
*HIGH GAIN MIC PRE. eg 70 db. cos some dynamic mics need lots of gain.
(note. ive had to resort to condensor mics cos of this problem.). thus this would save useing in line preamps.
*of course ultra low noise , high headroom, boutique type pre. etc etc etc
*AND LE PIECE DE RESISTANCE, to quote french. each boutique pre can be configured in software to have various
"characters" other than clean wire with gain.
ie mic pre can be various "personalities".
lets call it a "mojo setting". but can also be ultra clean.
*48v dc on each mic pre for condensers. (no physical switch. set on/off via software.)
*limiter built in (configurable in software) so people new to studio work dont overload into the red.
2. SOFTWARE CONTROL.
*everything software controllable via computer display.
or tablet/phone (for standalone remote work).
eg input levels , sending to direct outs, setting 48v dc. setting mic or line or di on a channel.
limiter to stop overload etc etc.
and of course setting bit depth/sampling rate etc on computer daw .
*i wouldnt want to see too many added features in software , if this might affect ultra low latency.
thus , as part of a software daw bundle included, maybe include a low cpu use vst channel strip to be inserted on daw traks for such things as compression/eq/echo/reverb/other fx etc etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hope the above makes some sense. but, the overriding objective should be an interface that is ultra low
latency, that sounds wonderfull (with great a/d/a) and that can be used in a studio OR on location somewhere and with
multi client drivers.
eg recording nature sounds, or foley.(in the latter case maybe be powered from a vehicle for example.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok . please critique the above specs.//add your own specs.
best
amiaskingtoomuchmuso.lol.
I would add that the ASIO driver be multi-client.

Jeff
jeff.
excellent point . kudos to you.
kicking myself for forgetting the need for multi client.
amending specs in the post after posting this.
maybe after lots of pg users have critiqued specs , i'll email the specs/group think to manufacturers.

best.
muso.
Justanoldmuso: What you're asking for requires a lot of engineering for the hardware and the drivers, and in the sub-200 buck range what you'll be getting is probably not even a Behringer-level device. Low latency requires ongoing development, as Windows and Mac OS often change things (as we all know well). High gain low noise requires parts that will bump the price up a lot, and great A/D/A requires expensive converter chips and good supporting hardware. I don't think it'll happen.
Simon.
you make very good points, and i always value highly your input on studio tech.
i had similar feelings until recently , when i came across a series of you tube videos where a guy called julian krause does rigorous testing on various inexpensive audio interfaces.
he tests in detail with charts and measurements. etc etc.

thus i came to the conclusion that the latest generation of interfaces are getting very good these days.
check a few out.
focusrite scarlett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg6RZZBS9ls
motu m.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ednXYd1pA
maudio 192
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-q41YOSl_Q
my evo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrAdO8n8cfU

and there are many others simon includeing behringer reviewed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_SRRhXnPrA
heres his channel on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0HrD4cTsQpAZ8KK9jPzzGg
a slew of reviews and measurements.

best
muso.

Don't forget we're dealing with a very small market here. I've read articles about someone approaching an Asian chip maker about producing a specialized chip but as soon as they say they need 50,000 or whatever they get a blank stare. They won't start to get interested until you start talking 10-20 million units. When someone asks why can't these interface manufacturers come up with a higher quality DAC or other component this is the problem. They wind up using chips that are used in everything from cars to A/V receivers in order to piggyback their needs onto high volume low priced chips. I'm probably way off on my example numbers but the point is correct.

This is the same problem with computers. You never see blurbs from Dell, HP or any other computer manufacturers talking about how great they work with DAW's.

Bob
Good point Bob, especially when you couple that with the desire for a low price point.

Jeff
jazzmammal
of course good points re market size.
but lets see how the future pans out in the interface market over the next 18 months or so.
interfaces are an ever moving tech.
interestingly enough , i nearly plopped for a wonderfull RME interface.
EVEN MY WIFE WANTED ME TO GET IT !!!!
but the tech rapid changes made me reconsider.

i read recently (forgotten where) some big name recording engr said even budget gear today is often better than what the big boys were useing ages back.

JM/Jeff/Simon.
here was my thinking why i posted those specs up thread.
lets take the soundcraft 12 fx usb mixer for example.
its 179 buks !! and the preamps from what i read are no slouch according to reviews on the preamps ive read. (apparently some users have had driver issues ?)
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-12fx
thats one great deal for such a small sum.

THUS. my thinking was , is it possible to put out a
interface with the specs i posted up thread under 200 buks ?

frankly i'm watching that new black lion usb interface i mentioned up thread, even tho i'm happy with evo so far.
the specs for the black lion interface mention, interestingly enough that it uses "PG-i technology" !
anyone know what PG-i is ?? and its not mentioned if the drivers are multi client.

then of course there is behringer. i would expect them to issue a new series of usb audio interfaces.
i would never underestimate them.
another reason i didnt want to spend lots of dosh on a new interface.

interesting times indeed !

best.
muso.
Focusrite 2i4. Have one on each computer.
jazzmammal
JM/Jeff/Simon.
here was my thinking why i posted those specs up thread.
lets take the soundcraft 12 fx usb mixer for example.
its 179 buks !! and the preamps from what i read are no slouch according to reviews on the preamps ive read. (apparently some users have had driver issues ?)
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-12fx
thats one great deal for such a small sum.

THUS. my thinking was , is it possible to put out a
interface with the specs i posted up thread under 200 buks ?

The problem with this mixer is that the USB audio interface is only 2x2 - 2 input, 2 output. It doesn't record each Mic preamp separately, only the stereo mix out of the board. A 4-channel audio interface with 4 mic preamps would be able to record each one discretely, but would require a higher-level AD/DA chip that can do more than 2 channels at a time. Likely the Soundcraft mixer is using an off-the-shelf chip for that, as previously mentioned.

Look at the Presonus StudioLive AR8c mixer - it's got an 8x4 interface in it, though the price is appropriately inflated to $699 (or $499 for those of you south of the 49th).
Simon. re 12 fx.
actually there is some confusion on the net over the number of channels one can NOW record with it at one time over usb. apparently the drivers and firmware have been updated ,
as well as the control panel ?
some people are saying now 4x4 ? on the net.
but i cant confirm that.
if you get further info, post back.
from audio examples ive heard it sounds very good to me ,
and various users of the 12fx confirm that fact if one googles.
ive heard no complaints bout a/d/a quality at all.
and everyone seems to like the pre's a lot.

re Presonus. actually awhile back i DID try a presonus audiobox 96.
the mic pre's (although good) didnt crank me up the way evo's do.
the evo mic pre just has "something", a "mojo" (i remember your intelligent dda comment in another thread) i find difficult to put into words.
even sound on sound likes evo's mic pre's//sound as do many other reviewers.
eg https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/audient-evo-4-evo-8
so i dont think i have perception bias.
its all personal preference of course.
how come the brits seem to design such nice mic pre's ?

always the best to you.
muso.
Simon. re 12 fx.
actually there is some confusion on the net over the number of channels one can NOW record with it at one time over usb. apparently the drivers and firmware have been updated ,
as well as the control panel ?
some people are saying now 4x4 ? on the net.
but i cant confirm that.
if you get further info, post back.
from audio examples ive heard it sounds very good to me ,
and various users of the 12fx confirm that fact if one googles.
ive heard no complaints bout a/d/a quality at all.
and everyone seems to like the pre's a lot.

re Presonus. actually awhile back i DID try a presonus audiobox 96.
the mic pre's (although good) didnt crank me up the way evo's do.
the evo mic pre just has "something", a "mojo" (i remember your intelligent dda comment in another thread) i find difficult to put into words.
even sound on sound likes evo's mic pre's//sound as do many other reviewers.
eg https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/audient-evo-4-evo-8
so i dont think i have perception bias.
its all personal preference of course.
how come the brits seem to design such nice mic pre's ?

always the best to you.
muso.

Interesting bit on that mixer, I'll have to check it out. I agree, the Presonus pre's didn't do much for me. The ones in my RME are better, though I still definitely prefer using my DDA board, or my old Altec mixer I retrofitted, or the Focusrite channel strip I've got, or even an old Digidesign Pre 8-channel preamp I dug up somewhere that does a crystal clear 69db of gain for 8 channels in 2 rack spaces - not much character, but very accurate and quiet.

As a Brit myself I'll take your comment as a compliment! Or maybe just half a compliment as I'm technically half Brit.
Simon/ALL.
RE. Allen & Heath ZEDi 10fx usb mixer.
(who are the people that name products ? lol. )
the above is looking interesting. according to specs by AH;
4x4. MULTICLIENT ASIO !, 24 bit/96k. mac/ios/pc.
ie record 4 traks at a time over usb. nice pres apparently.
heres full details. (page down page).
https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10fx/
heres the important usb win driver specs/help guide.
https://www.allen-heath.com/media/ZEDi-USB-Windows-Driver-Help.pdf
looks like a very interesting product.
brit designed boutique pres again ?
check out the manuals and driver details.
4ms or less latency i thought i saw on the net ?

anyone know anything ?

best.
muso.
ps brits make some great stuff, cept if i remember the electronics in some cars could be a problem. lol.

Don't know much about the brand Muso but the price is right! I don't recall anyone here on the forums using this brand. Wonder how quiet those pres are.

Being multi client for me is a big deal I typically run BIAB, RB and Cakewalk all at once, switching back and forth in my home studio. When I play for others, I run BIAB and RB at the same time cause some of my song are BIAB only, others RB only.

Jeff
Jeff.
in the last week ive done lots of zed research.
they claim boutique mic pres, and apparently from the reviews
the zed series is v good.

but , its best to do what i do.
my music store i have good relations with and i can return anything within 30 days. or i rent it to test for a while.
thus i'll probably test out any new interface and rent it when it comes out. if it looks promising.

frankly technically its difficult to screw up mic pre designs these days cos of "mic pre's on a chip" etc etc.
thus you can get v low noise mic pre's.

ie chips are ultra low noise. prolly a few nanovolts/hz or less probably.

the DIFFICULT PART is building mic pre's with "mojo" like the old
classic mic pre's.
basically the original op amps were transistor circuits in sealed enclosures if i remember. they even used germanium transistors.

best
muso
update.
all.
daw//audio interface users should give this a listen.
latest dawbench radio show jan 2021 episode 8 , co host is from MS.
guess who is crowned king in audio interface rateings?
midi 2.0 also covered and lots of other appropo topics.
details on topics covered at the link.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM...Ag&hl=en-CA

best
muso
heres a review of the inexpensive new audient recording bundle
on you tube. i like the down to earth hands on of the review.
it includes evo 4 (that i'm testing out, so far no probs),
a mic and headphones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpS9mN--Zuc

best
muso
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Don't know much about the brand Muso but the price is right! I don't recall anyone here on the forums using this brand. Wonder how quiet those pres are.

Being multi client for me is a big deal I typically run BIAB, RB and Cakewalk all at once, switching back and forth in my home studio. When I play for others, I run BIAB and RB at the same time cause some of my song are BIAB only, others RB only.

Jeff

Allen & Heath is generally great quality stuff - higher build and sound quality than the regular cheapies - Behringer, Mackie, Yamaha, probably roughly the equivalent to a Soundcraft perhaps. I've sold many over the years at a previous job, and customers were always happy.
I USE a Focusrite 2i4. I own a couple of M-Audio interfaces too. One is a Fast Track Pro and the other is an M-Track 2x2. I just like the Focusrite better and the ASIO driver doesn't fail at all. I actually use it as my Windows sound device full time. My computer speakers in my office are KRK Rokit 5 monitors.
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I just like the Focusrite better and the ASIO driver doesn't fail at all. I actually use it as my Windows sound device full time.

Same here with the 18i20, no issues for years...
I've been using a Roland quad-capture for many years...
Just bought a microphone and thought it would be fun to try and record myself...
Unfortunately there are problems with latency.
Whilst Band-in-a-box recognises the ASIO drivers, RealBand will not.
I've used this as an excuse to but a Solid State Logic SSL2+ which I hope will arrive next week.
Anybody using the SSL2+
We've made a couple changes in an upcoming patch for RealBand that should increase compatibility with some previously not working ASIO drivers, so this list should expand a bit once that patch is released. Don't ask me for a release date for this patch, it'll be done when it's done!

Originally Posted By: Mark Stonebanks
I've used this as an excuse to but a Solid State Logic SSL2+ which I hope will arrive next week.
Anybody using the SSL2+

That interface is gaining some popularity and I'd love to play with it myself, see how it stands up to the SSL Duality console I used to use!
All.
here is a comprehensive list by sweetwater of usb audio mixers with lots of inputs. it looks to me like the number of entrants is growing from last time i looked.
i know the soundcraft and allen/heath are well regarded.
the new mackie pro fx v3 line also looks interesting with compression on some input channels unlike some other mixers but i think i'm correct in saying the new mackies will only record to 2 traks at a time into the daw.
this list is just an alternative to the typical usb devices we all buy.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c264--USB_Analog_Mixers
for more info consult manufacturers web sites and also lots of reviews on you tube.
the above list might be of interest for users/small groups of musos needing lots of inputs
best
oldmuso
i think i'm correct in saying the new mackies will only record to 2 traks at a time into the daw.

That is correct, having used them myself. Most mixers with USB work that way, with only a few exceptions in the lower price range (more of the expensive stuff does have multitrack interfaces built in).

Reminds me, I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 with the firewire interface that I need to finish rebuilding. Wonder if it'll work in BIAB...
I'm using a Behringer Xenyx 1204usb mixer but I only record a single track at a time.
update.
just wanted to update re audient evo.
so far hasnt cheesed me off or annoyed me.
just works day in//and out.
getting good low latency. still like the mic pre's
a LOT.
audient now offer a nice bundle with mic included that seems to get nice reviews.

on another front another major player has entered the fray...WOWSER...legendary...UA....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHVohiLtws

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/ua-volt-series-affordable-audio-interfaces

best
om
update.
just wanted to update re audient evo.
so far hasnt cheesed me off or annoyed me.

Nice, seems like a good choice then!

update.
on another front another major player has entered the fray...WOWSER...legendary...UA....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHVohiLtws

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/ua-volt-series-affordable-audio-interfaces

Very impressive at that price, and the even lower priced UAD Volt 2 which currently is priced the same as the Scarlett 2i2. There are so many interfaces to choose in the sub-$300 USD price range, but I think the UAD will take off if the 610 and 1176 emulation in it is good. Personally would've preferred an LA-2A over the 1176, at least for vocals, but the 1176 is definitely no slouch!
Simon..
sometime check out a plug in called rough rider i got once with computer music mag uk. the mag is 20 buks.
but gives you access to 80 instruments n fx plug in.
best 20 buckies ive spent.
here is rough rider now version 3 https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-downloads
i have an earlier free cm mag version.
i like experimenting with it in conjunction with pg's own
dx plug ins...to get some mojo.
many reaps users also like stillwell plug ins...
interesting comps etc...
https://www.stillwellaudio.com/

also check out the free reaps js plug ins includeing 1176
and major tom etc.
these are interesting also..
https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/category/dynamics/

yep i'm happy with audient so far. but i might try out
motu m.2 next. hearing lots of good things.

lol..its a pity noone wants to pay to stream original songs these days otherwise i would be into threadrippers n m1 processors etc etc. and a BIG audient mix console...lol

best
om
update re audient.
well its been nearly a year with audient.
and i'm a happy camper.
low latency sounds great.
it got a gear award winner 2021 from music tech magazine.
https://musictech.com/reviews/studio-recording-gear/review-audient-evo-8/

but i'm still keeping an open mind as new interfaces
come out.
would be interested any info on round trip latency of new
ua volt series.

merry xmas.
om

Good to hear! We here at PG can't recommend one interface over another for obvious reasons, but it's on my list of "brands that typically work well".
All.

RE MULTI CLIENT ASIO….AUDIENT.

Good news…I just heard back from audient confirming the drivers for their usb audio interfaces are multi client !
I thought i might test their tech support turnaround at the same time.. Impressive ive found.
And NO before someone asks i have no link to them other than as a user.
I’m just a happy user for the last year.

as always i recommend with any new gear , rent it for a month to see works well with your recording rig.//ymmv.

Best
om
ALL.

ive upgraded the list so far of interfaces that support
multi client asio that ive found.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=750841#Post750841

it will never be complete cos tech changes.

and heres a sweetwater shootout of various interfaces with audio examples.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-audio-interfaces-shootout/

om
Feb 2023.

julian krause, who i find is very knowledgeable re audio interfaces...has evaluted some more recent audio interface products here...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=julian+krause

one i found recently that folks might want to check if they need a interface with good preamp gain for gain hungry dynamic mics...is interface by lewitt with 72 db of mic pre gain....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8rCMJLM7g

https://www.lewitt-audio.com/connect-6

NOTE...as always ymmv and, if interested, i recommend
renting or get a 30 day return from your local gear store in case the interface doesnt meet your needs or isnt copacetic with your particular set up.

also for those needing multi client asio i just dont know.
contact the manufacturer.

happiness.

om
The Lewitt Control 6 audio interface looks very interesting. It has a lot of connectivity options, two independent headphone jacks, built-in DSP as well as a standalone two channel mixer option. Not bad at all for $299 US. Hopefully Lewitt USA will be able to convince USA music retailers to offer the product.
My Focusrite 2i4 is pretty much all I need since this is a hobby home studio. Doing everything myself I can only record one thing at a time anyway.
Quote:
ive noticed over the years on pg some people seem to have sound devices that work fine with rb. others sometimes have issues.

I don't use expensive audio devices on RB I just use the system audio with Voicemeeter ASIO to create up tracks and mix. I had a Phonic 18ch USB Mixer I lent out and they had it on all the time using it as a system audio device and the power supply burnt out and I had to pull it all apart to fix it.
RB used to crash like ALL the time but directly they made it 64bit I rarely got a crash.
With Voicemeeter you have Voicemeeter ASIO and Voicemeeter AUX ASIO so I can run Biab on one ASIO and Reaper on the other.
Jim.(all)

i found the lewitt interfais at sweetwater and zzounds.
there might be other retailers.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Connect6--lewitt-connect-6-usb-c-audio-interface

yes the connectivity options are interesting.

have a great 2023 jim.

another interface manufacturer one doesnt hear of this side of the pond but seems popular in europe is ESI. (i dunno how good.)

https://www.esi-audio.com/products/?m=11

see net for reviews.

om
All.

focusrite 4th gen scarlett interface has come out and won sound on sound award 2024 best audio interface.
anyone useing with rb or bb ?
are the drivers multi client ?
if so ill upgrade the mc thread.

happiness.

om 🇨🇦. 🇬🇧
You keep using this term multi-client.
Scarlett interfaces have been able to be used on multiple software apps at the same time for a long time.
Example: I run the stand-alone version of Kontakt and RB at the same time thru it commonly.

Send MIDI to Kontakt, and use the Audio Out routings in Komplete to get it back into the Focusrite mixer where I want it.
IE send Komplete out 5/6, which is routed back around into RB 3/4 inputs .. does this meet the requirements?
.. if so this has been the case since gen 1 I think ...
Or are you talking about syncing clocks? Cause syncing clocks is a whole different animal.

Or are you talking about having RB somehow talk to Kontakt (other than MIDI)?
rharv.

i looked all over google trying to find if the new interfaces are mc.
i dont understand why this info isnt readily available on the net. its tough to find this info on lots of interfaces re mc.
also the interfaces market moves fast.

focusrites are already in the mc list in the tips forum
which has good definitions of mc.

thanks.

om
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
i looked all over google trying to find if the new interfaces are mc.
Interfaces are not multi-client - drivers are. Since Focusrite uses a universal driver for the Scarlett interfaces, this should mean that all Scarlett interfaces are multi-client.

Other manufacturers are likely the same, however this is a pretty broad generalization. For example, Behringer uses ASIO4All for some of their interfaces (which is NOT multi-client), while others have bespoke drivers (which may or may not be multi-client).
Simon.
re drivers mc....of course.
actually if you look in tips and tricks forum ive a thread there listing the interfaces with multiclient asio drivers.
includeing focusrite as i find out info.
also listed there are behr umc range also mc asio drivers.
maybe its the older behrs that used asio4all.
if you doubt me check on kvr audio re the newer umc range.

as you know this info is often difficult to find for some odd
reason.
this thread was meant to be just interfaces generally used by pg users to help new folks.
and i started the tips thread just focusing on interfaces with mc drivers.

ps. one reason i like the audients is each channel on my interface...
phsntom 48 can be switched on and off...
im leery to change to a pricier upscale interface as the audient has been a breeze day in/out....also what impresses me is they are open to new ideas. ive had some interesting exchanges with them.

om. 🇨🇦. 🇬🇧
I've owned about 6 different interfaces and all were fine for any my audio apps. I'm new to BiB but I'm using a Zoom L8 as my interface now and it works great.

I did a lot of research and testing over the years and for the most part, if the company produces a proper ASIO driver the device will work. But some drivers are better code than others and we all figure that out and that the top sellers seem to have stable drivers. Ones reported to be iffy are Mackie and Akai and a few off brands that were forgettable.
I just compiled a list of all the 2x2 interfaces that were posted on Sweetwater as well as a few that were not. I listed them from lowest price to highest. The only ones that didn't have ASIO drivers were the 2 cheapest Behringers and the Art's. Then be carful because the M Audio was the least expensive at $50 but is only 16 bit. Then I found out that Presonis have pretty terrible pre amps as compared to most other.
Here's the video
thanks for taking the time to post cactus.
while im at it can anyone confirm the new 4th gen scarletts 2i2 have global 48 volts phantom on or off for both channels but not independently ?

one reason i like the audient is each channel can have 48 v
on or off independantly of the other.

om. 🇨🇦. 🇬🇧
while im at it can anyone confirm the new 4th gen scarletts 2i2 have global 48 volts phantom on or off for both channels but not independently ?

one reason i like the audient is each channel can have 48 v
on or off independantly of the other.

om. 🇨🇦. 🇬🇧
Don't have a 4th gen, but photos show a single 48v button so I assume it's like my 3rd gen and is global. My 3rd gen 18i20 is similar, but has separate buttons for ch1-4 and ch5-8. Exactly the same as my Audiobox 1818VSL too, it's quite common on all but the high end interfaces. My old Fireface 800 could turn on and off 48v per channel, but it was all controlled through software as there are no physical switches on it, and my old MOTU 896HD had a switch per channel.
thanks for taking the time to post cactus.
Not independently.
Gordon thanks for info.
sorry i didnt thank you before ..been getting eye surgery.
one of the rhings i like about my audient is each channel
has its own 48v switch.

also i notice now more mics are coming out with built in boosters...usefull for low gain interfaces eg shure sm7 mics and others .
btw still loving my mini pc stunning low dpc latency.
handles all i throw at it so far. boots into win 11 and bb and rb in a few secs. Generating bb tracks is blinkin fast in bb 2024.
thanks for turning me onto low cost mini pc.s.
very impressed...saves me useing gigundous desktops or silly often high dpc laptops.

happiness.

om
Gordon thanks for info.
sorry i didnt thank you before ..been getting eye surgery.
one of the rhings i like about my audient is each channel
has its own 48v switch.

also i notice now more mics are coming out with built in boosters...usefull for low gain interfaces eg shure sm7 mics and others .
btw still loving my mini pc stunning low dpc latency.
handles all i throw at it so far. boots into win 11 and bb and rb in a few secs. Generating bb tracks is blinkin fast in bb 2024.
thanks for turning me onto low cost mini pc.s.
very impressed...saves me useing gigundous desktops or silly often high dpc laptops.

happiness.

om
I'm starting to get the first signs of cataracts. Not yet causing me any problems, but I guess that's only a matter of time.

In theory(!) it doesn't matter whether or not the phantom power is present as non-powered mics just don't use it, but in practice there's a rather higher risk of loud pops. My Saffire controls phantom in blocks. On the Ui24R I think it has individual phantom control on every input, as I guess it should as a mixer rather than just a sound module.

Yes I've noticed the SM7 now comes with a built-in preamp option.

I guess some of the 'deafer' mics were designed presuming that performers know how to project their voices properly, but so many users wouldn't even know what that means. frown Ho Hum.
MARCH 2024.

to simplify things from now on as new audio interfaces come out…as i find new ones having useful features I will update this thread in the tips and tricks forum.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718708#Post718708

in addition when it comes to my recommendations re how to buy a pc suitable for music production OR if someone has problems using an existing pc for music production…and my recommendations…please see this thread in the tips and tricks forum.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=795663#Post795663

Hopefully the above will help as follows..

1.. people new to music production and pg trying to make audio interface and pc and ancilliary gear buying decisions from the huge array of products on the market. thus saving them money and operational problems.
2..existing users involved in music production who might be encountering problems with their current pc and/or audio interface.
3..existing users looking to upgrade from an old clunker pc to a new pc and/or user interface.
thus saving them money too.

the reason why i started the above two threads is often people aren't aware of this info and/or it's spread out all over the net. so the idea is to save people time searching for it.

I hope this helps further and I wish happiness to all.

om
© PG Music Forums