PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr a weird anomaly in the MIDI event list... - 01/15/21 03:41 AM
I automate a lot of stuff in my songs via the MIDI event list. I use it to set patches at the start of a song, to change effects etc at appropriate times in the song etc. Works great, I like it.

Lately in RB when I go to edit one of the events I see that all of the events have been copied one or more times and inserted at the beginning of the list. (Actually they are probably appended at the end of the list, but because the times for each of the inserted events is the very first moment in the song, they get sorted by time to the beginning, appearing before all the timed entries I created.

The number of copies varies.... sometimes one, sometimes more. I've seen this on two different computers, but I'm not sure if it originated on one and then I moved the file to the other computer.

This isn't new in 2021, I have seen this in previous versions of RB, but never bothered to mention it... I just deleted the extra entries and moved on. I mention it now because I have seen this happen in all of my current projects over the past week, and its a new release so you are probably actively fixing things now.

Any thoughts about what might cause this?
Hi Pat,

I use the event list the same way you do and I also see the same exact problem you've described. Like you, I just deleted and worked around, but now would be a good time to finally get this fixed.

Don
Agreed Pat, I've also noticed this. I thought it was just programming errors in the MIDI tracks I've downloaded. I just delete the duplicated entries. But now that you mentioned it, I see that in every file....over 500 of them!

Jeff
hey, thanks Jeff and Don for weighing in on this... sometimes I feel like I'm crazy when I report problems nobody else seems to have.

The REAL irksome thing about it is the fact that if your project has enough events to fill the window (and mine usually does) then it isn't obvious when new events have been added, because they scroll out of view. This means I waste time changing a value at the start of the list that I can see, only to have a duplicate entry that I can't see change it back.

I'm not saying I'm dumb, but I will admit that I've spent hours trying to figure out why my parameter edit didn't work.
Pat, I will pass this along to the update testing group to see if we can get them to take a look into this.

Jeff
Posted By: rharv Re: a weird anomaly in the MIDI event list... - 01/15/21 07:50 PM
If you are using Copy/Paste you copy all the events.
This includes Program Changes. Are you accidentally making copies using Copy/Paste?

If you check the Data Filter box during the Copy process you can limit what all you are copying .. and much more
Just in case it may be the cause (or may still help some users)

Attached picture DataFilterPatch.jpg
good point Bob.. I'll test that theory. Although in my recent projects I don't think I had any midi tracks with notes that would be cut or pasted. These are just utility tracks with data for controlling hardware.

Are you suggesting that copying and pasting on an audio track could affect data in a MIDI track ?
Posted By: rharv Re: a weird anomaly in the MIDI event list... - 01/15/21 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
good point Bob.. I'll test that theory. Although in my recent projects I don't think I had any midi tracks with notes that would be cut or pasted. These are just utility tracks with data for controlling hardware.

Are you suggesting that copying and pasting on an audio track could affect data in a MIDI track ?

Your question confuses me, as you ask about Audio tracks
yet also say that they contain "data for controlling hardware."
How are you using an Audio track to control hardware?
Thinking out loud here.

Is it possible that one of you that has noticed the issue of duplicate midi events could attach a file to a post along with screen shot of the event log of the file? Also, some notes in the post about what lines are duplicates. It might help the developers to see what you're seeing in an attached file.
Originally Posted By: rharv
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

Your question confuses me, as you ask about Audio tracks
yet also say that they contain "data for controlling hardware."
How are you using an Audio track to control hardware?

yeah that was pretty confusing the way I said it. I was only trying to point out that the only cutting and pasting I might have done would have been on an audio track. The MIDI tracks where I put control events don't have any other data that would require a cut and paste operation.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Thinking out loud here.

Is it possible that one of you that has noticed the issue of duplicate midi events could attach a file to a post along with screen shot of the event log of the file? Also, some notes in the post about what lines are duplicates. It might help the developers to see what you're seeing in an attached file.

this will probably solve the problem... because now that I need an example, it will never happen again. LOL

(like taking the car to a mechanic, and the noise that's always present suddenly disappears)
In the old Atari days and later Windows 98 i was teaching MIDI at a local technical university. BIAB, Pro24, later Cubase SX.
There were quite a few nerds occasionally, and one was seriously trying to start-trigger a coffee machine via MIDI in his home-studio ....
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
In the old Atari days and later Windows 98 i was teaching MIDI at a local technical university. BIAB, Pro24, later Cubase SX.
There were quite a few nerds occasionally, and one was seriously trying to start-trigger a coffee machine via MIDI in his home-studio ....

I like the way he thinks. ;-)
Posted By: rharv Re: a weird anomaly in the MIDI event list... - 01/19/21 10:44 PM
IOT (Google it if unsure of meaning)
Much more likely to happen on an app on your phone first.
For some manufacturer to support MIDI would be quite surprising.

BUT
imagine the possibilities smile
Triggering a certain song dims the lights and kicks on the fireplace .. another turns on the coffee maker and turns on the computer at work .. <grin>
All Android smartphones since Android 5, Apple smartphones, Windows and Mac computers have a built-in GM compatible midi soft synth and can natively play midi songs. MIDI.org has four mobile specification documents +++ HERE +++ if you're interested in looking.
© PG Music Forums