PG Music Home
Posted By: Del Peak Limit issue - 02/02/21 07:00 PM
Could someone verify a possible problem I'm seeing using PG's peak limit vst in track view? When I enable peak limit on the track, the level meters within the vst jump up into the red and never change after that. The level meters don't fluctuate with the audio anymore even when the track audio isn't present.

The strange thing is if I enable the same Peak Limit vst on the A1 output in mixer view those peak level meters change with the audio.

The snapshot below was taken when no music was being played!

I'm using Realband 2021 (3) 64 bit

Thanks in advance!

Description: Peak Limit
Attached picture PeakLimit.jpg
Posted By: rharv Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/02/21 07:41 PM
They seem to work fine here.
Wish I could be more help.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/02/21 08:32 PM
Works fine for me as well. Perhaps try doing a Reset To Default Settings from the Options menu, see if that helps.
Posted By: Del Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/02/21 08:44 PM
Thank you for checking Bob!
Posted By: Del Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/02/21 08:45 PM
Ok, thanks Simon, I'll try the reset thing to see if that resolves it.
Posted By: Del Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/03/21 02:11 AM
I tried resetting Realband to factory default but that didn't fix this problem. I found a setting under Preferences/Audio - and checked the box next to 'Mono tracks can use effects in stereo mode' (This box was not checked in Realband 2018 and the Peak Limit worked fine there on mono and stereo tracks) Now the level meters within the peak limit vst work as expected on my audio track except for the clipping indicators.

If I set the peak limit on the track to -1db and set the pregain to 2 db I get a clipping indication occasionally on the level meter indicator within the peak limit plugin on that track. I don't think this should happen if the limiter is working correctly.

Posted By: Del Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/03/21 02:17 PM
More tests this morning between Realband 2018 (5) and Realband 2021 (3) 64 concerning PG's Peak Limit. I would say the Peak Limit for Realband 2021 (3) 64 is not working correctly and I certainly cannot believe the level indicators within the peak limit vst.

I tested different songs and different tracks both mono and stereo tracks and the Peak Limit in RB 2021 (3) 64 is not working correctly in the track view at least. Realband 2018 (5) has no issue with the Peak Limit VST.

The screen shot below shows Peak Limiter action on Vocal tk3 track RB 2021 (3) 64. Notice there is no activity on the middle column of the peak limiter right below the word 'clip' also notice both left and right peak indicators are lit red indicating clipping. The limiter is set for 3db pregain and -1db output gain. Under these conditions, there should not be any clipping in my opinion if the limiter is working and the output level indicators should never rise above -1db.

In my old version of RB 2018, the middle column under the word 'Clip' would light up and move around indicating that the limiter was working and folding back the gain so there would be no clipping the two small indicators on each side of the word 'clip' would never light up with these settings.

Attached picture Peaklimit2.jpg
Posted By: rharv Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/03/21 09:21 PM
Yes, this seems to be accurate; I notice the center VU and Clip VU activity now that you describe it and have fixed the original issue.

I'll pass it along best I can.
It would help if you sent an email to Support and point to this thread. smile
Your images and detail do a good job describing it.

Edit - I tested versions as recently as 2020 (4) and same result, so it does seem to be a 64 bit issue
Posted By: Del Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/03/21 09:38 PM
Many thanks Bob, I'll send in a request to support.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Peak Limit issue - 02/16/21 05:59 PM
Hi all, I've done some testing and it seems the bug is in the PeakLimit plugin itself - the 64-bit version of PG PeakLimit, whether used in BB, RB, PT, or even Reaper exhibits the above issues, where the 32-bit version does not. I've reported it to development.
Posted By: Jeff Yankauer Re: Peak Limit issue - 03/24/21 01:13 AM
From what I'm seeing, there's an issue with the 64-bit version of the PG PeakLimit in which if a track is mono, and and "Mono tracks can use effects in stereo mode" is unchecked in the Audio settings dialog, then this VU meter issue happens. The plugin itself is the issue, not RB itself.
Posted By: rharv Re: Peak Limit issue - 07/28/21 08:46 PM
Sorry, wrong forum
move along, nothing to see here
© PG Music Forums